Wife's 2013 Hyundai seized up today 94k miles

You have to wonder that once on the used car market - and say 3rd owner - how many folks don’t know the engine gets covered

As per the class action settlement

Please also continue to maintain the vehicle per the maintenance requirements in the Owner’s Manual and Owner’s Handbook and retain copies of the maintenance records. If Hyundai believes there to be Exceptional Neglect of the vehicle, you may be required to provide records for vehicle maintenance performed after August 31, 2020 to receive Lifetime Warranty repairs.

If you got the Campaign 953 done, they hope it'll set a P1326 instead of seizing and coming in on the hook like OPs did

Will the dealership provide a loaner vehicle while my vehicle is being repaired?
At the customer’s request, the dealership will provide a loaner vehicle at no cost, if one is available. If a loaner vehicle is unavailable, Hyundai will provide reimbursement of reasonable rental expenses up to $40/day

Best of luck with your new engine OP, perhaps try a 30 or 40 weight changed a little more often
I deal with too many oil burning Theta IIs for comfort

I hope the second engine will last at least 100k miles (she won't likely keep it that long anyway), because it's getting a lot more highway driving now and better oil and filters than before.
Usually I run 5w30 or 0w30 in it though it had 0w20 m1 high mileage at the time of failure because we were in the coldest part of winter, I figured it would be worth trying that grade.
I didn't want to use the 0w40 I use in my truck in it because it's not a recommended weight in the owners manual, so I stuck to the 5w30.
Yes the knock sensor campaign was done however it didn't pick up anything that we didn't hear either. It wasn't a quiet engine by any means but nothing sounded like knock. Just lots of direct injection noises.

Sons 2013 Sonata blew at just over 100k miles. Covered along with the loaner but took about 3-4 months before it was done.
One of the techs at the shop had his seize up a couple years ago without warning exactly the same as ours, at 106k miles. Also a 2013 2.4 but in a Santa Fe.

I hope the second engine will last at least 100k miles (she won't likely keep it that long anyway), because it's getting a lot more highway driving now and better oil and filters than before.
Usually I run 5w30 or 0w30 in it though it had 0w20 m1 high mileage at the time of failure because we were in the coldest part of winter, I figured it would be worth trying that grade.
I didn't want to use the 0w40 I use in my truck in it because it's not a recommended weight in the owners manual, so I stuck to the 5w30.
Yes the knock sensor campaign was done however it didn't pick up anything that we didn't hear either. It wasn't a quiet engine by any means but nothing sounded like knock. Just lots of direct injection noises.
From my experience these engines aren't picky about oil. I ran anything from 0-20 to 5-30 and 0-40 in my wife's car, along with all sorts of filters. Seems like it's luck of the draw as to how long the engine lasts.

One of the techs at the shop had his seize up a couple years ago without warning exactly the same as ours, at 106k miles. Also a 2013 2.4 but in a Santa Fe.
Yep no warning at all. He was leaving work and it just died, never to start again. Recently transmission started to slip with around 160k, got rid of it for next to nothing. The used market doesn't seem to have too much confidence in these cars either. Not worth fixing.

Yep no warning at all. He was leaving work and it just died, never to start again. Recently transmission started to slip with around 160k, got rid of it for next to nothing. The used market doesn't seem to have too much confidence in these cars either. Not worth fixing.
The used car market doesn't value junkers that need major repairs regardless of manufacturer. I got 53% of what I paid for my wife's Santa Fe at trade in time after 7 years. That depreciation isn't far off from the Japanese vehicles.
It was in immaculate condition.

The used car market doesn't value junkers that need major repairs regardless of manufacturer. I got 53% of what I paid for my wife's Santa Fe at trade in time after 7 years. That depreciation isn't far off from the Japanese vehicles.
It was in immaculate condition.
I was saying it wasn't worth fixing because the repairs were more than the cars value. 7 years and 11-12 years is also a big difference.

350Rocket
You don't need oil receipts unless they find gunk and sludge buildup under the valve covers. A call to the manufacturer will verify that. The manufacturer then contacts the dealer and gets confirmation from the dealer that your engine has no buildup - no signs the engine contained oil thinner than what the owners manual recommends and has no signs the engine was run continually low on oil.

Someone on Reddit had their warranty denied since they didn't save their oil receipts when doing DIY oil changes and told they were SOL.

OPs dealer seems to have a fair policy to check for sludge. Is that written anywhere?

Someone on Reddit had their warranty denied since they didn't save their oil receipts when doing DIY oil changes and told they were SOL.

OPs dealer seems to have a fair policy to check for sludge. Is that written anywhere?
When Hyundai replaced the engine in my wifes car they looked for sludge by pulling the valve cover because we didn't have the oil change records. I have heard that Hyundai/Kia is getting more strict as time goes on, though. So it might be harder now.

From my experience these engines aren't picky about oil. I ran anything from 0-20 to 5-30 and 0-40 in my wife's car, along with all sorts of filters. Seems like it's luck of the draw as to how long the engine lasts.
Why would an engine be [picky] about oil unless it way too thick or thin for the operating conditions?

Back