Wife wants A/C in UPS trucks, prevent heat strokes

Status
Not open for further replies.
1. How old was he? When my Dad got into his fifties, his heat capacity took a nose dive.
2. I would think a cooling suit would be more effective. That would be an unorthodox solution so let's just blast the A/C in a vehicle that has it's doors open all the time, that'll fix it.

I agree with UPS that A/C would likely be ineffective based on the nature of the routes. I'm not one to normal side with big corporate America but I sincerely agree with them this time. Sounds like her husband allowed himself to get dehydrated, that's on him, not UPS. Only one side of the story is told here, is he overweight, drinks coffee in the morning, smoker? Other risk factors? Not trying to kick the driver here but there's a lot the individual can do to keep themselves healthy. I'm really getting sick of people blaming others for their own health, feelings, or well being. Take some personal responsibility and ownership for your health, body and fitness stop deflecting and blaming others.

Originally Posted by FlyNavyP3
I agree with UPS that A/C would likely be ineffective based on the nature of the routes. I'm not one to normal side with big corporate America but I sincerely agree with them this time. Sounds like her husband allowed himself to get dehydrated, that's on him, not UPS. Only one side of the story is told here, is he overweight, drinks coffee in the morning, smoker? Other risk factors? Not trying to kick the driver here but there's a lot the individual can do to keep themselves healthy. I'm really getting sick of people blaming others for their own health, feelings, or well being. Take some personal responsibility and ownership for your health, body and fitness stop deflecting and blaming others.
I think he has, but his wife is the one who started the petition. It's not the first time that I have seen a woman appalled at working conditions that a man would not really think anything of.

If you read the article, she's not talking about in the cab up front, because yeah, the doors are open most of the time.
She's talking about back in the cargo box, which they are in and out of a lot, but is also closed a good percentage of the day. For that area, and with the stop/start nature of the businesses, a small electric rooftop unit, similar to what might be on a camper should do the trick.

It doesn't need to keep the box @72, but if it can get it into the 80's that would be a marked improvement over the rolling oven they have now. Esp down somewhere like Houston where she is/ they are.

not having brown trucks might be a good start.

Years ago, the drivers didn't even wear reflective vests. Nothing better than 1 or 2 guys dressed in brown trying to make Xmas deliveries in pitch darkness

Originally Posted by simple_gifts
not having brown trucks might be a good start.

Years ago, the drivers didn't even wear reflective vests. Nothing better than 1 or 2 guys dressed in brown trying to make Xmas deliveries in pitch darkness

Which UPS drivers wear reflective vests?

The helpers do - They should be doing most of the legwork during the holidays. Maybe different branches operate differently.

AC would do little to nothing in the rear of the truck - drivers shouldn't spend more than a few seconds back there.

Free world to start a petition. Maybe something can be done. Maybe not.

Doesn't the Prius have some sort of passive heat exchanger on the roof? If it's a matter of just reducing heat down to something tolerable for a few minutes, maybe that would suffice for all.

Does sound like the fellow pushed himself too far. It happens. I get heat exhaustion about once a year and have to back off of whatever I'm doing. Wild guess here but I'm guessing UPS would accept a "I had to back off, was going to die" excuse for a late delivery day at least once in a while.

I put box trucks into service for our fleet. I used to install an RV type fan on the ceiling a 30 minute timer. It would open and close the vent automatically. You could feel the air moving up around you if you were near the fan. It was effective.

It won't happen. How many trucks does UPS have running daily in the Sun Belt? Multiply that times the cost per truck to add A/C. They won't do it unless they are forced to. Even then they will fight it all the way.

I'm a UPS semi mechanic and newly purchased semi trucks have had AC starting with the 1979 Teamster contract. It also mandates the AC be kept in working order.
Parcel trucks operate in a different manner and the effectiveness of AC greatly diminishes if your on a city route delivering a parcel every 2 minutes.
UPS is afraid the parcel drivers will camp out if they add it to the cargo hold.

Honestly, I don't know how UPS drivers could survive here in the Phoenix summers without A/C. Yes, there are a few brave souls you see here on the road, without A/C, with their windows rolled down. But at least they are moving and getting a breeze. Going in the back of a stopped UPS truck to dig for packages, then having to carry them up to the door, would give anyone heat stroke.

I know the FedEx ground trucks have A/C because they are unionized here. FexEx express does not and they aren't union.

Anyone in their fifties needs to slow down in their day to day activities. I was feeling bad out in the heat today and went inside, drank a liter of H2O and started feeling better. These guys can't really do that.

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
For reference, do Fedex and USPS trucks have AC?

FedEx is a different animal. The delivery guys are independent contractors who buy not only their own truck, but the route itself.

FedEx itself does not own any delivery trucks.

USPS, not sure about bigger rigs, but 99%sure the LLV does not have air, just a dash mounted fan.

Here the trucks are owned by Fedex the company. That is interesting that in the U.S. they are independent contractors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back