Some UPS Trucks Will Get A/C

Stomach muscles or arms and legs? If I eat too much, sometimes my stomach aches, maybe cramps, but never had an experience where arms and legs can't move.
Yeah, I dunno, it happened anyways unfortunately... I don't play around with it anyways in a lake or ocean, as you might get into a spot where floating is not an option, and even mildly degraded swimming ability might not cut it for you.
Kind of like airplane maintenance vs. car maintenance, a small problem can be big if you can't stop on the side of the road.

UPS is ran by union workers. They should have better **** than say a Fedex Home delivery subcontractor....
Not sure how it is now, but it used to be an extremely adversarial relationship between management and labor back when I knew a few drivers. At one time in NYC they painted big numbers on the roof of the truck in white so the spy helicopters they sent around to observe could ID any trucks were camped out in front of a Blarney Stone gin mill not near their routes.

I knew a driver who managed to fake an illness or a sickness and managed to get over 100 days off in a single calendar year. It was a war, not sure if it still is or not.

I think the swimming thing is a myth from my parents Gen. I was told to wait 30 min to an hour after eating, before swimming. I don’t tell my 9 yo that. We just don’t have enough time to do that as he swims at the Y. There are only so many hours in a day.

At any rate the myth was you could get cramps since blood is needed to digest food. Pretty sure any medical person today might say you should have some food before swimming so you have energy….my .02
Have you never had a stomach cramp from exercise? Your digestion system needs blood flow to work and if you working your heart and lungs hard, they get priority! If you are really going hard, your brain starts to lose priority too, but I try not to do that. I have had cramps with running or biking and I don't power through them! Its not fun and if you're in a situation like swimming where you can't stop your physical output, I guess some people drown... I don't know if I would or not, and I don't plan on finding out.

All workers should be working in great work conditions. Automation is here to benefit us, not make every second count.
I ask this question at work, 20 years ago we had 15 minutes to clean the lines, dump trash and sweep.

Now they only give you six minutes to clean, and the requirements are the same as if you had 3 people on the line. I ask, how can that be? You spent millions more on the tooling, running less than 20% of capacity, reduced the people and reduced my cleanup time? That is bull

Agree. And I can work 2/5 days from home, which not all can do.

I used to travel a lot for work and a couple things I remember seeing with my own eyes

Once, a driver told his mgr he had a list of requests.
1. A clean vest to wear
2. That the lot were better paved
3. A route to PA instead of over the GWB to NYC.

The mgr said he’d take the above into consideration, ie, maybe you should look for a new job. But these are basic things.

Another time I witnessed a GM tell a supervisor you don’t do your time card right, you get no pay. The supe said I want to do it right, can you show me what’s wrong. Mgr said you figure it out or no pay.

There are people faced with the above day in and out….

Well, the drivers voted to go on strike so the air conditioning offer wasn’t enough. This should get interesting.

Well, the drivers voted to go on strike so the air conditioning offer wasn’t enough. This should get interesting.
Interestingly, in the list of demands from the Teamsters, better or higher pay isn't one of them.

They'll probably buy up new trucks without A/C right before the deadline, then limp the old ones along for years to come to avoid buying new ones with A/C.

Certainly if there are requirements for a maximum temp there will be advances in technology. For instance, just how much insulation is there in the roof of those large brown UPS trucks? At least keep the temp inside those trucks no higher than the ambient temp in summer.

Increased pension contributions from UPS ?

All employees want more $$$$. I can’t blame them.

Sometimes we lose sight that we’re talking about human beings. Again I’ve seen it with my own eyes, a driver (non Union) asking his mgr for a clean vest, and mgr says duly noted will float it up for consideration.

Let’s get real did you know an elementary school principal earns 150k+ and a school superintendent 250-320? A lifeguard in LA, who is a county worker $500k? They’re not asking for that kind of money. I drive with AC whenever the dew point is maybe 58F+ myself.

I just was at a bbq and after a few cold ones one of the guys was bragging his pension was $9000/mo. I think it was in poor taste and I didn’t say anything. Everything gets so charged up these days we forget about what we’re talking about 😂

I’m not innocent years ago at a coffee klatch, I wanted to rile a mgr up so I said I think it’s unfair some people stop paying social security in September. It went over half the peoples’ heads and the guy I was referring to said why do you think that. I think it’s perfectly fine.

We shall see if the UPS workers are forced to "take the deal" or quit, as happened with rail workers recently.

Certainly if there are requirements for a maximum temp there will be advances in technology. For instance, just how much insulation is there in the roof of those large brown UPS trucks? At least keep the temp inside those trucks no higher than the ambient temp in summer.

There is no insulation. As I recall the roof is translucent or similar to allow light into the back.

In the heat and humidity down here, I don't know how they've gotten by without for so long.

Heat index was over 100°f this past week.

Sometimes we lose sight that we’re talking about human beings. Again I’ve seen it with my own eyes, a driver (non Union) asking his mgr for a clean vest, and mgr says duly noted will float it up for consideration.

Let’s get real did you know an elementary school principal earns 150k+ and a school superintendent 250-320? A lifeguard in LA, who is a county worker $500k? They’re not asking for that kind of money. I drive with AC whenever the dew point is maybe 58F+ myself.

I just was at a bbq and after a few cold ones one of the guys was bragging his pension was $9000/mo. I think it was in poor taste and I didn’t say anything. Everything gets so charged up these days we forget about what we’re talking about 😂

I’m not innocent years ago at a coffee klatch, I wanted to rile a mgr up so I said I think it’s unfair some people stop paying social security in September. It went over half the peoples’ heads and the guy I was referring to said why do you think that. I think it’s perfectly fine.

Yes, I’m aware union folks in California make crazy money. Good for them if their contract allows it.

I also get a nice pension with my employer.
June 15th was my 35th anniversary. 🥳 🎂 🎉

But seriously:
I don’t blame any person for wanting better pay and benefits at ANY job, whether it’s union or non union.

Look at the pilots (FedEx, American, Southwest, Delta, United, etc…) in the news recently wanting better pay and benefits.

I think I would start off with re-painting the top of the truck white. That would lower the temp in the truck.
Exactly, there is so much that can be done. An Insulated roof painted a light color with LED lighting inside, and the hot exhaust will be replaced eventually with an electric drivetrain. Also, sufficient air exchange and for super hot environments, AC.

Yes, I’m aware union folks in California make crazy money. Good for them if their contract allows it.

I also get a nice pension with my employer.
June 15th was my 35th anniversary. 🥳 🎂 🎉

But seriously:
I don’t blame any person for wanting better pay and benefits at ANY job, whether it’s union or non union.

Look at the pilots (FedEx, American, Southwest, Delta, United, etc…) in the news recently wanting better pay and benefits.
California is only 5th for family median income at $80,000 using these four year old numbers and you have to go through about 12 States before you find a significant difference. Ie $75,000.

34B1427C-7A8F-401D-BA3E-23A77A2AAACD.png

UPS guys are fully live GPS monitored. There is no hiding, long lunch or goofing off like the old days.
How long does it take to get the notification on your phone a package has been delivered when you have the UPS app? Not very long.
Keeping the truck moving cools off the drivers unfortunately, unless in urban areas then it's lock it up in the sun.
Most shops get unionized not only just for money but working conditions also.

UPS tested those spinny, turbine-looking things on the roofs of some of their vehicles and our driver said it works real well. I don't see them air-conditioning the cargo areas of the vehicles though so can they retrofit some sort of electric AC units in the (small) cabs ?

Back