Some UPS Trucks Will Get A/C

You’d probably still have ones that would have the air conditioning on and still have the door open or window down lol. I see several people in cars do that so wouldn’t surprise me if it was an issue here either. I didn’t realize their trucks didn’t have A/C.

I’m kind of surprised it took so long for union to demand A/C in their contract.

Imagine being a UPS driver in Phoenix, AZ during the hottest summer day and having to drink a gallon of water just so you don’t have a heat stroke….

Last edited:
Reactions: JTK
It's a slippery slope. Next thing you know, management and shareholders will be demanding AC too.
Without management there would be no metrics driving the workers to achieve amd soar to new heights, and without metrics watching and tracking workers’ every action, it’d be a ted nugent song

I've always been told that running in and out of air conditioned spaces will make you sick or lower your immunity.
I remember hearing that, but it always seemed like an excuse that people that didnt want to pay for air conditioning made up.

Kind of like the waiting a half hour after eating before swimming so you dont get " cramps"

I use to work for Frito-Lay when I was in high school and during the July 4th time frame they made me drive a box van full of product to 29 palms CA to a few stores short of product. It was over a hour each way with the temps close to 110. The Frito-Lay vans only had one opening door, but that was the hottest two hours of my life.

I remember hearing that, but it always seemed like an excuse that people that didnt want to pay for air conditioning made up.

Kind of like the waiting a half hour after eating before swimming so you dont get " cramps"
I've heard of it too, but with farmers sitting in a tractor cab at 62f all day in a t-shirt and then coming out into 94F with high humidity? Or maybe they had a bad egg salad sandwich for lunch and it caught up to them at 4pm? Getting in and out of truck a dozen times an hour should be fine.

The swimming thing is real though, I wasn't there, but a close friend in high school drowned from a big lunch and then deciding to swim out to an island with another buddy, he got cramps, I guess panicked and drowned. Or maybe there was too much chop to float on his back, or he didn't know to do that, but he drowned.... Any serious exercise will give you cramps after a meal, I've done than before, so I don't go for a swim after eating, but floating around in the pool is fine...

Left at 6 this morning and saw packages on porches already. They weren't there last night.

Could be Amazon. If a UPS driver is struggling on their route, they'll ask another driver to go out and split the packages. They really try to be back before 6pm except during holiday season. A driver that takes so long on their route that they start working at night probably won't be there very long.

I drove Econoline fleet vans for decades for my old job. Only reason we got A/C and AM/FM radio was because Ford only built them with it as standard equipment. Same thing with power steering back in the '70's. UPS trucks are custom built, road guys deserve some creature comforts, it is the 2020's. Office suits relish peering out the window at the sweating minions.

Left at 6 this morning and saw packages on porches already. They weren't there last night.

My understanding is that they keep delivering until they are done with the route for the day. If that means the last delivery is at midnight, then the last delivery is at midnight.

Delivered by who, Amazon ? UPS, Fedex, etc aren't delivering that early even when you pay for "priority" (most people aren't going to).

I use to work for Frito-Lay when I was in high school and during the July 4th time frame they made me drive a box van full of product to 29 palms CA to a few stores short of product. It was over a hour each way with the temps close to 110. The Frito-Lay vans only had one opening door, but that was the hottest two hours of my life.
Used to spec the Frito trucks in Canada. We used 100% box trucks, Ford DRW csb/chassis Transit sized to International 5 ton. AC in the cab for all of them. Engine Idle shut down timer at 3 minutes of no movement.
The truck boxes had roof RV fans with some aggressive CFM specs. If you were near them you could easily feel the air movement, on a user selectable timer at max 40 minutes of run time.
For winter we had fuel tank fed Espar air heater, with a 40 minute timer.
I didn't get many heat or cold complaints with that setup.

UPS is ran by union workers. They should have better **** than say a Fedex Home delivery subcontractor....

All workers should be working in great work conditions. Automation is here to benefit us, not make every second count.
I ask this question at work, 20 years ago we had 15 minutes to clean the lines, dump trash and sweep.

Now they spent millions on a line with 9 robots, conveyors, eliminated 5 employees (3 ops per two shifts, down to one op, 1 shift)
So the line runs 1 op for 1 10 hours shift, 5 days a week, and sits idle the rest of the time... they will ever recoup the cost when the line is retired in 6 years?)

Now they only give you six minutes to clean, and the requirements are the same as if you had 3 people on the line. I ask, how can that be? You spent millions more on the tooling, running less than 20% of capacity, reduced the people and reduced my cleanup time? That is bull.

I've heard of it too, but with farmers sitting in a tractor cab at 62f all day in a t-shirt and then coming out into 94F with high humidity? Or maybe they had a bad egg salad sandwich for lunch and it caught up to them at 4pm? Getting in and out of truck a dozen times an hour should be fine.

The swimming thing is real though, I wasn't there, but a close friend in high school drowned from a big lunch and then deciding to swim out to an island with another buddy, he got cramps, I guess panicked and drowned. Or maybe there was too much chop to float on his back, or he didn't know to do that, but he drowned.... Any serious exercise will give you cramps after a meal, I've done than before, so I don't go for a swim after eating, but floating around in the pool is fine...
I think the swimming thing is a myth from my parents Gen. I was told to wait 30 min to an hour after eating, before swimming. I don’t tell my 9 yo that. We just don’t have enough time to do that as he swims at the Y. There are only so many hours in a day.

At any rate the myth was you could get cramps since blood is needed to digest food. Pretty sure any medical person today might say you should have some food before swimming so you have energy….my .02

Back