Wife bought a Keurig

I’ve had Keurig for many years. I replace them approx. every 4 years. Never do descaling or whatever it’s called. I use it every day.

I love love love coffee but adhd af and making my own is just not gonna happen. But pressing a button and waiting 10 seconds and then throwing a pod away, a dash of liquid creamer, and boom, I can do that.

Again, is it great coffee? No, but it’s fine, and it’s convenient with no clean up or prep process. That’s what you’re paying a premium for.

Sadly as I’ve come to realize I’m allergic to caffeine (sends me to the bathroom for a long time lol) I just mostly use the Keurig for hot water for herbal tea. Still super convenient. I brought my Keurig to work with the rest of my pods. That way I won’t feel tempted to drink it all. I still go for a cup occasionally. Get paid hourly there so if I end up in the bathroom who cares! When there are no pods left I’ll take it home again haha.

I prefer pour-over or french press at home, but at work the Keurig beats the time and cost of running to McDonalds or Starbucks for coffee. Our office has a machine that has water plumbed to it, and it disposes of the pods internally until the bin fills up.

We have had a Keurig for about 8 years at least now. Me and my dad hate it for coffee. We use our coffee pot for that most of the time anyway. It’s ok for hot chocolate and things but never been impressed with the coffee. As long as you avoid the Green Mountain brand the other brands besides store brands at least taste ok.

I use Community Coffee pods in my Keurig . I've been drinking CC for over 50 years . Keurig just makes it easier .

We have had a Keurig for about 8 years at least now. Me and my dad hate it for coffee. We use our coffee pot for that most of the time anyway. It’s ok for hot chocolate and things but never been impressed with the coffee. As long as you avoid the Green Mountain brand the other brands besides store brands at least taste ok.

Yeah coffee quality definitely depends on the brand. Even though I guess they’re all using licensed technology to make them?

We got one of those Amazon surplus Keurigs for $12 at one of those places that buys Amazon retunrns.

Then we got 120 of those pods for $13 from Kroger. It was on clearance.

All things being equal I still prefer a plain old pot with a paper filter. Kroger brand coffee is fine since precious few coffee companies actually use the beans from the very top of the coffee tree. Like motor oil, it's all just a blend of different grades.

I end up taking the coffee from the day before, adding half the amount I brewed the prior day, and getting a solid taste in the end.

Use 1.5 and get 2 pots worth over a two day period. I think it cost about a nickel a cup that way. If I could find quality these days I would buy it. But... nope! Nobody offers a quality product for my nickel ;)

I dunno...I always thought these things were just an expensive way of making an indifferent cup of coffee.
Now, in a hotel, a Keurig sure is nice, but at home a good drip coffee maker, like the old Braun we have, makes better coffee about as quickly at far lower cost.
I can't see having a Keurig, but that's just me.
I am the only coffee drinker in our house, but you can use a hotel Keurig to heat water for tea for the wife and they usually give you or can provide on request, decent black tea bags.

We had a Cuisinart Keurig machine a few years ago. I found only two acceptable K-Cups worth drinking.,SF Bay Coffee Company Fog Chaser and Tim Hortons. It's long gone and the Moccamaster delivers consistently great coffee from the Baratza Encore grinder and mostly Peets Major Dickasons beans.
The Keurig machines have their place. The Aeropress is simply a filthy, disgusting way to make coffee.

I had coffee from a Keurig machine while waiting for a car delivery today. Meh. But I didn't have to specially pay for it. And the other thing I've noticed with these things in self-serve settings is how often people forget that they made coffee and there's just one that got cold.

I've been to some places that had Keurig and Nespresso. I've also stayed hotel where they had a Keurig machine as the complimentary in-room coffee.

I've seen some weird ones too, like illy's iperEspresso. My family was staying at a really fancy hotel overseas (but relatively cheap in US dollars) and I couldn't figure out where the in room coffee was until I bumped into the wall and figured out it was a minibar and complimentary in-room coffee hidden in this door that opened up.

four-seasons-shanghai-pudong-suite-coffee.jpg

Been using Keurigs for years.

Back when I was single and didn't drink as much coffee as I do now, it made sense for my morning up at least until I got to work(back pre-covid at that job we did have a community pot).

My wife does not drink coffee at all. When we got married, she agreed and bought me a Keurig and uses it herself to make hot chocolate and tea sometimes.

My current job I don't think ever had a community pot, and certainly doesn't now post-COVID. I took a Keurig to work and use it there, although I also have a percolator in my office that I use some.

I do grind and prep my own cups sometimes, but it's a lot of work and the machines I have tend to be messy with them. For a while I was drinking Krispy Cream Classic, but it started getting a lot more expensive and availability was spotty(I couldn't always get the 96 packs I preferred)). I ended up settling on this as my current choice

It's surprisingly good, although it's strong enough and a dark enough roast that it's spoiled me on a lot that I use to like.

Individually made coffees for no waste............YAY
Plastic pods.................................................................NAY
Cost of machine.........................................................nay
Cost of coffee in pods.............................................nay
Whatever counterspace arguments..................neutral

Experience Bias: Grew up with percolated coffee (tall, white Corning percolator, anyone?) and today use a basic Braun drip.
In school I used a simple cone (with paper filter) and boiling water. The simplicity there was compelling.

Revelation: Glad to read here that pods are reusable.
Though, in a society where people can't comprehend collapsing boxes for recycling, I wonder how many do.

Magic "Saves the Day" Solution I Just Thought Of: Tear out the big screen in your dashboards and install a Keurig.

My wife doesn't drink coffee and I usually only drink one cup in the morning and occasionally a cup in the evening . It just makes sense for me to only make one cup at a time .

50/50 Whole Foods Franch Rost dacaf/Co$tco dacaf ground quite fine (9) in the Barratza Encore packed tight. Unit preheated with a 8oz hot flush. 12 oz run, awesome cup.

I am pretty quick now. Way faster than waiting for the kettle when I do pourover.

So call the finished cup a wash.

I guess, minus the $100 expense, the Keurig has a learning curve, the pods are pointless (too many draw backs) but Keurig can and does work.

Some people want their coffee hotter for commuting and such. That could be a potential problem. I like to drink me cohee NOW so it is hot enough.

I like gadgets is OK too.

Not bummed about the purchase. Thanks wifey!

Reactions: GON
50/50 Whole Foods Franch Rost dacaf/Co$tco dacaf ground quite fine (9) in the Barratza Encore packed tight. Unit preheated with a 8oz hot flush. 12 oz run, awesome cup.

I am pretty quick now. Way faster than waiting for the kettle when I do pourover.

So call the finished cup a wash.

I guess, minus the $100 expense, the Keurig has a learning curve, the pods are pointless (too many draw backs) but Keurig can and does work.

Some people want their coffee hotter for commuting and such. That could be a potential problem. I like to drink me cohee NOW so it is hot enough.

I like gadgets is OK too.

Not bummed about the purchase. Thanks wifey!
I'm not seeing any of the things you mention . Learning curve ? It takes about 60 seconds to teach a six year old how to use it . Pods have drawbacks ? Haven't found any yet . In fact , they speed up the whole process . And my coffee comes out too hot drink without careful sipping .

I'm not seeing any of the things you mention . Learning curve ? It takes about 60 seconds to teach a six year old how to use it . Pods have drawbacks ? Haven't found any yet . In fact , they speed up the whole process . And my coffee comes out too hot drink without careful sipping .
Yes a little learning curve to pack the re-usee pods, preheating, cleaning. Nothing tough and some steps not mandatory. A little trial and error to match my pour over is what I am trying to say.

Yes the pods have drawbacks (and pluses of course)
Plastic waste
Plastic taste (to some)
Not enough coffee
Ground coffee in them near or stale (not as good as just ground by any stretch)
Expensive
Not custom blended like my pour over

But agree, the ease is absolutely beautiful and I stated as such in one of my above posts when I said the only REAL flaw is they are too small.

I agree with you on the heat, that is some other people's gripe about it online. Not my gripe.

I like the machine frankly, look above what other people say - not so nice!! :cool: (y)

When I worked at home 100 percent I would make coffee press coffee, excellent. Now I drink single cup kcup coffee like a dog before I slug off to work.

Enjoy press coffee more but if you need to drive 40 miles to work you need to get off early so the kcup wins.

We are 50/50. Keurig is just so convenient. Not cheaper though depending on what coffee you get. Green Mountain Dark Magic is good for a cheaper pod. Solimo Dark Roast is passable but if you get it for ~$.21 per cup, it makes it better. We drink a lot of Major Dickesons. Also have some flavored stuff. The Starbucks Italian roast is a favorite but you have to experiment with size for pretty much all of them. The starbucks isn't cheap but I wait for deals like x% off plus subscribe and save.

Keurig. Out Costco model has been doing fine for 7 yrs now although the button is getting worn. I drink 2-3 cups a day and wife has 1.

Costco Kirkland Decaf only for me.

Back