One month with the Moccamaster Thermal.

Hermann

Site Donor 2023
It has been a month since I started using my Moccamaster from the 30% off Amazon Black Friday sale.

The coffee maker arrived missing the cap to seal the thermal carafe and the sample of the Dezcal descaler. It had not been opened.

There is a learning scale on this brewer. After 30 or so full brews I have finally arrived at a formula for my "daily driver" coffee, which is Tim Horton's Red Bag whole bean. It is a lighter medium roast that has not removed the more subtle notes of the coffee. I truly enjoy this coffee as a daily driver. This morning brew was the full 40 oz of water and 62 grams of freshly ground coffee ground medium course. The result was very flavorful, with no "It's Too Strong" cringe.

My luck with speciality stuff is mixed. Have had some great brews and some OMG, what did I do to ruin this $15 lb coffee. Trader Joe's more expensive single source coffees have been very good. When I use Peaberry beans the extra spice notes are more obvious. I'm beginning to sense that the Technivorm does not do Dark Roasts well, or I have not been able to adjust the ratios correctly.

There is 20 days left to return it. Doubt if that happens as my DD results are so good. I have found the best way to pre-heat the thermal Carafe is to brew a few cups of hot water. Right before starting the brew, I pour the hot water into my seasoned coffee mug to pre-heat it, which keeps my brew at a enjoyable temp for about 4-5 hours. Everything is pre-heated with just 18 oz of water. It also removes the stale water that is still in the copper heater from the previous brew. The brew basket also gets a good 195° rinsing Plus the machine is pre-heated so it starts pumping in about 10 seconds when it restarts to brew making the first sprays on the coffee bed a few degrees warmer, in theory.

Overall I'm satisfied, just wish I could get better and more consistent results with "Premium" coffee. This a brewer that makes good coffee if you turn it on and let the machine do the job. Love the fact that personal involvement is allowed and encouraged. 90% of my brews are stirred after a bloom phase then I put the lid on and enjoy the results when it's done.

Last edited:
I enjoy my coffee, but I am so glad that I don't put myself through this every morning. I don't function at this level at 4:30-5am.

Nice post!

What grinder are you using? I can't remember if you've mentioned it in previous posts.

With darker roasts, suggest grinding coarser and using a shorter ratio (the ratio you mentioned that you're using is very long - approximately 20:1).

I'd go several steps coarser on the grinder and try a 17:1 ratio. Even 16:1.

Coarser grind on darker roasts will mute some of the more harsh and bitter flavors, without taking away from the full body that a lot of people who drink dark roasts want.

You won't underextract. Dark roasts are much more soluble and easier to extract than lighter roasts.

BTW - $15/lb ($.94/oz) is a deal! The specialty coffee I've been buying lately ranges from around $1.50/oz to $2/oz before tax and any shipping I pay.

P.S. I also stir/excavate to get all the grounds wet.

My grinder is a Jura Capresso Infinity conical burr 560.05 with the die-cast case. It is set to the void between Medium and Course for my DD. My DD is a 10-15 minute prep. If I'm in the mood to experiment I let the grounds bloom for a couple min. Then let it rip. The closeable spout on the brew basket makes blooming easy. My next speciality will be lighter roast to see if it makes more consistent coffee.

Back