Wife bought a Keurig

It's interesting.

First I will say I only drink decaf. But that does not mean I drink urinal coffee or watered down coffee.

I have mentioned I blend GOOD beans and do pour over. Works well.

So my wife wanted a Keurig. "For guests". She picked it out along with some AM reuseable holders. She purposely got the narrow unit with 5 nozzles. I forget the model name, but it was under $100. Didn't come with any pods so I ordered a couple from Bezos.

The unit arrived and we cycled it empty a few times. Not having any pods, I ground some coffee and brewed some cups. Hmmmmm.light.weak.hmmm.read.read.read.

Did a finer grind, maxed the basket and tamped it down. THAT worked. Good cup.

Been messing with it a week. It's simple, easy and straight forward.

Pods came. No. Just no. Will get into this later. Plus I will discuss my thoughts on Keurig as a whole.

We've had one in the house for what seems like 10 years. I gave up on the filter basket because I didn't want to invest in a burr grinder. Grind too fine and the filter basket will overflow, too coarse and it's weak like you've experienced.

I buy a huge box of Starbucks Decaf pods from Costco.

I am on my second pod coffee maker.
I refuse to buy a Keurig. The proprietary code on the top of the pod thing did it for me.
It makes sense for us, since there are two of us, and only one of us drink coffee (me.)
It is fast, easy, and it is possible to get a decent cup of coffee (although pricey.)
My first was a B&D combo. The one I have now is a Cuisinart combo. Does a nice job.
I will watch out for store sales, and have actually found a couple of store brands that are reasonably priced and have a nice flavor.
Not necessarily gourmet coffee, but it beats instant swill.

I had a Senseo, which I think is a better product. Better coffee IMHO, and better for the environment. We currently have a K machine...but it sits on the shelf. My bride uses a high end espresso machine, and I use a pour-over auto machine with fresh ground beans. The K machine is good for company though...

I am on my second pod coffee maker.
I refuse to buy a Keurig. The proprietary code on the top of the pod thing did it for me.
It makes sense for us, since there are two of us, and only one of us drink coffee (me.)
It is fast, easy, and it is possible to get a decent cup of coffee (although pricey.)
My first was a B&D combo. The one I have now is a Cuisinart combo. Does a nice job.
I will watch out for store sales, and have actually found a couple of store brands that are reasonably priced and have a nice flavor.
Not necessarily gourmet coffee, but it beats instant swill.
They got rid of that code thing.

I don't drink coffee. My wife likes the Tim Horton's dark roast, McCafe dark roast, and Eight O'Clock dark Italian espresso dark roast coffee among others.

Another decaf drinker. Starbucks Cafe Verona DC or this stuff I buy at Ocean State Joblots when I can find it. It costs 3.49 a lb and it is delicious. I'm a philistine, I use a Cusinart with a#4 filter ends up on my compost pile. The pods cant be composted. Beside that, my daily ration is 1/2 cup of grounds to a pint of water, tamed with a 1/4 cup of cream and a level teaspoon of sugar. I'm going downstairs to brew it now :cool:

We have one, don't use it. The coffee isn't very good for all I have tried. If your a 1 cup a day drinker and just want something hot might be worth it? Some of the better instant is just about as good IMHO.

They got rid of that code thing.

I don't drink coffee. My wife likes the Tim Horton's dark roast, McCafe dark roast, and Eight O'Clock dark Italian espresso dark roast coffee among others.

The "Approved" ones (with their name on them) are still way overpriced.
When I bought my first and second device, they were still very much in the mix.
However, there are options that are as good (or better) at lower cost.

Keurig has tons of models. Some large, some small. Some single tip, some five tips. Supposedly some models are made outside of China.

This one was like $90 with 5 tips. It functions just fine. I can pack it really tight and no blow-out no mess. It will make deep dark coffee,

Keurig appears to respond to customer demands. Maybe too many models/options. Maybe not listening to customers correctly, but in my mind they they made one semi-fatal initial mistake. They made the basket/holder/pods too small. Hard to switch mid-stream.

We're on our second machine. Our first stopped dosing the water correctly, otherwise worked great for many years. My wife uses it daily and mostly for guests. I must admit that the environmental impact is not good, but it does help with the consistency of the brew. The same goes for my espresso, the pod system has been out around for more than twenty years and it consistently makes a good shot. Nespresso for example, has many varieties of pods that are good and also have a recycling program in place to help with waste reduction. I've been using Lavazza pods with their machine for years, it's bulletproof on so many levels:
ECL.jpg

The two pods I bought are odd. Well maybe not a good word.

The expensive Illy decaf pods make a pretty good light cup of coffee. Taste is very nice.
The Barista Prima Italian Dark roast decaf is the smokiest coffee I have ever tasted. Not burnt, just smoke. It's just OK. Very acid.

I cannot know how long the ground coffee stays fresh in the pod, but this is a weakness. Seems like they might be filled with an inert gas.

Last edited:
I get Green Mountain coffee in my K-cups. My son lives in the same town as GMCR and they were part of the development of the Keurig. Their coffee turns out well as long as it’s fresh.

Last edited:
It's interesting.

First I will say I only drink decaf. But that does not mean I drink urinal coffee or watered down coffee.

I have mentioned I blend GOOD beans and do pour over. Works well.

So my wife wanted a Keurig. "For guests". She picked it out along with some AM reuseable holders. She purposely got the narrow unit with 5 nozzles. I forget the model name, but it was under $100. Didn't come with any pods so I ordered a couple from Bezos.

The unit arrived and we cycled it empty a few times. Not having any pods, I ground some coffee and brewed some cups. Hmmmmm.light.weak.hmmm.read.read.read.

Did a finer grind, maxed the basket and tamped it down. THAT worked. Good cup.

Been messing with it a week. It's simple, easy and straight forward.

Pods came. No. Just no. Will get into this later. Plus I will discuss my thoughts on Keurig as a whole.

Agreed, if you are packing your own pods - its an ok setup,
Labor wise, grinding beans, then packing the little pod, cleaning it every time takes you backwards.

The commercial pods - not at all worth it. Nope.

Ive been using super automatics for the last 20 years, more $$ upfront, but the convenience and quality of using your own beans while still having every cup be the "first cup" is something you really get used to quickly.

Back