Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: TOMJ
My EDC is a Glock 42 loaded with Precsion One's load of the Hornady XTP bullet carried in an Uncle Mike's pocket holster.
Why? Have you watched the news lately?

Agree, most times it's my .380 Glock 42. I accompany it with my Critical Defense HP ammo and Clinger Stingray IWB holster. If I desire ultimate front pocket conceal, I'll grab my .380 Beretta Pico 2nd Gen. If I'm hunting in the forest, or traveling to Detroit, I'll add my 45-cal Kahr CT 45 and another Clinger Stingray and bigger Critical Defense ammo.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
Guns I carry

Winter Guns (Cause I live where you bundle up more for 5 months and can hide bigger guns)
Steyr M9 or Beretta PX4 in a High Noon Mister Softy holster. Both tend to be loaded with Underwood 124gr +p Bonded JHP ammo.
Auto Ordnance Thompson custom special in a High Noon Deep Concealment holster (15 degree forward cant). Loaded with Federal 45acp 230gr HST

Spring-early Fall guns
Bersa Thunder 380 in a High Noon Mister Softy with Hornady Critical Defense
Kahr P9 loaded with Underwood 124gr +p JHP ammo in a Badger Concealment holster

Why do I carry? Well when I was young I was a victim of violence.

Other than the Buffalo Bore in my one CW380, which works flawlessly and that is why I stuck with it, I went to Underwood for just about everything. That is some serious ammo in just about every application.

Originally Posted By: dave123
Makes me feel cool

You didn't answer the question.

G-42, Critical defense, DeSantis V5 pocket holster. I love the firearm. Its the only one I ever shoot anymore. I put about 800 rounds/month through it. Its not snappy at all. The DeSantis was purchased many years ago for my Airweight Pistol. (got rid of the Airweight)

G19, appendix, IWB, standard pressure 124 or 147 (not brand particular.)

Why?

Because I trust the firearm, it’s easy to handle, and I am competent with it. As far as appendix it is the most comfortable for my body type, probably because I don’t have a gut. Standard pressure 124 or 147, because it will poke holes in bad guys just fine.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
Originally Posted By: BISCUT
Originally Posted By: ZZman
I don't. I feel no need to.

Never need it, until you do.

LOL.. I do live in Canada but have traveled extensively through the USA for long periods of time.. and id agree in certain areas.. but I don't think I have ever "wished" i had a gun on me anyways..

What kinds of situations have you all been in where packing heat was "needed"? Dont get me wrong, I'm not anti guns, just curious on the mindset I suppose.

When carrying $5,000 cash and meeting a total stranger in a secluded, abandoned factory lot to purchase a rare preban firearm. I felt a little safer with my G23.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: jjjxlr8

LOL.. I do live in Canada but have traveled extensively through the USA for long periods of time.. and id agree in certain areas.. but I don't think I have ever "wished" i had a gun on me anyways..

What kinds of situations have you all been in where packing heat was "needed"? Dont get me wrong, I'm not anti guns, just curious on the mindset I suppose.

When carrying $5,000 cash and meeting a total stranger in a secluded, abandoned factory lot to purchase a rare preban firearm. I felt a little safer with my G23.
smile.gif

Snubby .38 saved my bacon once. Didn't need it until I needed it.

Went to visit a friend, and when I drove up to her house found her outside in the yard with a neighbor circling her and threatening her with a kitchen knife. I was armed and that situation ended very quickly with no injuries.

Neighbor called me terrified after a run in with a couple of trouble makers who said they were going to come back and kill her. I went over to her apartment. They showed up again, one with a baseball bat, and I managed to engage them verbally until police arrived and arrested them. I was armed but did not reveal it to the bad guys and never drew my weapon. Came pretty darn close.

FWIW, the worst situation I've been in was outside the US. There are plenty of other countries where things are much worse.

I know some retired cops in BC and based on stories they've told, it's not all snow angels and Timbits up there, but you do have it pretty good!

Thanks for all the input so far. This thread could have devolved easily and did not.

Sounds like a lot of thinking went into your choices. When I took my required concealed carry class, the instructor said that almost everyone would change their initial weapon and holster, because of making a less than wise choice. I put a lot of thought into mine and am still using what I initially chose, Kahr CW380, BB ammo, and Recluse holster. I would have preferred to carry a K-frame Smith, but knew that wasn't best for my situation. When I started school, I added the FNH FNS-L .40 NMS. I carry it in Maxpedition JK-3 Concealed Carry case, which I then place inside my messenger bag. The case has two extra mags(loaded), 18 extra rounds for the CW380, and 40 extra rounds for the FN. It also has a small Maglite and a small fixed blade knife. The .40 rounds are Underwood 165 gr. Gold Dot +P's. I wanted a pistol with a longer sight radius and some power, in case of an Orlando night club type scenario at school. I almost went with the Glock 40 Gen. 4 MOS, but I simply like the feel of the FNS better. Here's hoping I never have to use either.

Originally Posted By: bigj_16
Guns I carry

Winter Guns (Cause I live where you bundle up more for 5 months and can hide bigger guns)
Steyr M9 or Beretta PX4 in a High Noon Mister Softy holster. Both tend to be loaded with Underwood 124gr +p Bonded JHP ammo.
Auto Ordnance Thompson custom special in a High Noon Deep Concealment holster (15 degree forward cant). Loaded with Federal 45acp 230gr HST

Spring-early Fall guns
Bersa Thunder 380 in a High Noon Mister Softy with Hornady Critical Defense
Kahr P9 loaded with Underwood 124gr +p JHP ammo in a Badger Concealment holster

Why do I carry? Well when I was young I was a victim of violence.

Other than the Buffalo Bore in my one CW380, which works flawlessly and that is why I stuck with it, I went to Underwood for just about everything. That is some serious ammo in just about every application.

Buffalo Bore has some good stuff too, especially when loaded with the good Barnes solid copper hollow points.

When i carry the LCP, its in a MTR leather holster, it shields the trigger well( no safety) and is easy to draw. Its loaded with federal fmj, as it is a weaker caliber and a lot of expanding ammo in .380 under-penetrates.

When i carry the M+P Shield, its in an N82 holster and currently loaded with corbon powerball, although i may try some Hornady Critial defense.

My P95 is a road gun, i take in my car on trips, not concealed carry, its in a simple uncle mikes holster loaded with corbon powerball and fmj alternating in a mec-gar 17 round magazine.

I only practice with the ruger p90 45, so i don't have carry ammo in it, it sits in the safe with fmj in a fobus( i don't really like it) holster.

I need a holster for the walther p-22, i run CCI ammo, mini-mag and stinger, as it needs higher velocity ammo to cycle the slide. I have some winchester m-22 that i have not tried yet.

I appreciate your attitude toward the subject.

Originally Posted By: bigj_16
Originally Posted By: TOMJ
My EDC is a Glock 42 loaded with Precsion One's load of the Hornady XTP bullet carried in an Uncle Mike's pocket holster.
Why? Have you watched the news lately?

I am just interested in people's equipment. It might give me insight as to what I carry.

I always carry a Kahr CW380 in my back pocket, Recluse holster, with extra mag. Buffalo Bore +P's, 80 gr. TAC-XP.

As the situation warrants, I carry more stuff.
Smith and Wesson Shield in 9 MM, and a Kahr CW380. It depends on the clothing I'm wearing.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
When i carry the LCP, its in a MTR leather holster, it shields the trigger well( no safety) and is easy to draw. Its loaded with federal fmj, as it is a weaker caliber and a lot of expanding ammo in .380 under-penetrates.

When i carry the M+P Shield, its in an N82 holster and currently loaded with corbon powerball, although i may try some Hornady Critial defense.

My P95 is a road gun, i take in my car on trips, not concealed carry, its in a simple uncle mikes holster loaded with corbon powerball and fmj alternating in a mec-gar 17 round magazine.

I only practice with the ruger p90 45, so i don't have carry ammo in it, it sits in the safe with fmj in a fobus( i don't really like it) holster.

I need a holster for the walther p-22, i run CCI ammo, mini-mag and stinger, as it needs higher velocity ammo to cycle the slide. I have some winchester m-22 that i have not tried yet.

Just a few friendly suggestions. Look at Critical Defense for the 380. It meets penetration specs set by the FBI. It is why I use.

Ditch the powerball...it has very inconsistent performance.

Also, why use FMJ in the P95? If you are concerned with penetration, especially hard barrier, I would look at Corbon DPX or Underwood loaded with extreme penetrator or extreme defender.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: spasm3

Just a few friendly suggestions. Look at Critical Defense for the 380. It meets penetration specs set by the FBI. It is why I use.

Ditch the powerball...it has very inconsistent performance.

Also, why use FMJ in the P95? If you are concerned with penetration, especially hard barrier, I would look at Corbon DPX or Underwood loaded with extreme penetrator or extreme defender.

Thanks for the info on powerball and critical defense!

For the p95, since its a car gun, i did want some penetration ability i.e. other car doors, its my " if i have a flat tire gun".

I will check out what you suggested.

LCP2 with Critical Defense and Vedder LightTuck Kydex IWB holster
Shield 9 with Critical Defense and Alien Gear Cloak Tuck 3.0

I almost always have the LCP with me and sometimes the Shield depending on what I'm wearing. If I can escape/ hide during a situation I'd rather do that but it's nice to have an alternative if need be.

Quote:
For the p95, since its a car gun, i did want some penetration ability i.e. other car doors, its my " if i have a flat tire gun".

If the situation calls for it (bank drop, big city late at night), I carry a Canik TP9v2 in the car loaded with Federal HST +p 124 grain in the pipe and alternate the HST with S&B 124 grain +p FMJ in the magazine. It is my attempt at having adequate penetration, if needed.

Originally Posted By: FloatingBrick
Quote:

If the situation calls for it (bank drop, big city late at night), I carry a Canik TP9v2 in the car loaded with Federal HST +p 124 grain in the pipe and alternate the HST with S&B 124 grain +p FMJ in the magazine. It is my attempt at having adequate penetration, if needed.

That is why I like having the Underwood Extreme Defenders. They penetrate great, especially through barriers, and the gel tests show pretty good wounding ability. They certainly show better wounding potential than a FMJ, but the downside is they cost quite a bit more.

Glock 26; Federal 9mm (LEO version which is issued to me); holster can vary from Glock tactical to a fanny pack, depending upon what I'm doing/wearing/going.

Glock 26
Glock 43
Glock 42
Ruger LCP
Smith & Wesson 340 airweight j-frame

All loaded with gold dots. All carried throughout the year depending on daily dress requirements.

Why do I carry? Because when I was a police officer I saw terrible things, and dozens of victims that were raped/robbed/murdered because they lacked any means of defending themselves. Most victims only make that mistake once. After being victimized, many realize how naive they were about the real world, and they get a weapon and training.

Having a weapon will not guarantee you the best outcome should someone choose to victimize you, but it gives you options and ability.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Glock 26
Glock 43
Glock 42
Ruger LCP
Smith & Wesson 340 airweight j-frame

Funny..I got rid of many of my pistols (at a loss) to get the ones I wanted. I am now down to 6. The 4 I have are the ones here. And I actually got rid of my 442 airweight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back