Considering Pocket Carry

I appendix carried for a while with my original shield. I stopped during covid because we were home all the time. Now i have 2 toddler/babies as well so bending over constantly and etc does. I've converted to selective carry instead of daily carry. I also put on about 25lbs. Doctors mark me as slightly overweight, I'm 6 foot and 220lbs. I have a bigger belly.

The other day i put on the holster and it was not comfortable anymore. I've borrowed some holsters and i just didn't like them. Carrying at 4 or 6 o'clock didn't seem natural to me.

I'm now considering switching over to pocket carry. LCP Max for the $350ish street price catches my eye a lot. Need to hold one in hand and shoot first tho.

Do people carry with one in the chamber? I did with my shield but I'm not sure how i feel about the pocket carry. I've order the sticky holster already in small and medium. to see how the shield would/could fit.

Maybe LCP Max in the appendix with the right holster could work. Still just exploring options again.

Anyone own the LCP max?

Glad to hear you're getting a picket holster. Pocket carry with semi-auto absolutely necessitates securely covering the trigger. Also, pocket carry is "dirtier" because of pocket lint, etc, so cleaning regularly becomes more important.

I would say keep a round in the chamber. Pocket carry slows your draw a lot, so having to rack the slide makes it that much slower.

I've got no experience with the LCP line of pistols, so no advice there.

Another consideration is small revolver, like a J-frame. I’ve tried a lot of options over the years and always come back to that. Currently a 642 (airweight with enclosed hammer). One thing to consider is the shape - the irregular and more natural cures of a revolver make it vastly easier to pocket carry than a more squarish, slab-sided shape. If a friend has one, try borrowing it a while or at least experimenting with it.

That said, my dad prefers a 380 like you are discussing (KelTec I think). He is not as sensitive about how easily it carries/conceals. It sounds like you may be, like me, more sensitive to that.

No experience with an LCP but my Dad carried an S&W Bodyguard in a pocket holster like these as his employer at the time wanted him armed for all company functions. He was quite happy with the set up. Said it was just like packing a wallet around.

My wife and I shot an LCP when she was looking for an EDC. Neither of us liked it. Her sister owns one and doesn’t like it. That being said the newer LCP2 is supposed to be much better and neither her nor I agreed on which EDC we did like. So try to test fire some options at a range before you purchase if that’s at all an option for you.

I'm working on getting my ccw and picked up a taurus gx4 xl, amazing how small it is and still holds 13 rounds of 9mm and also has a 11rd mag to make the handle slightly shorter, the micro double stack 9mm segment is stacked right now, sig p365, cz p10m, s&w 9mm shield plus, springfield hellcat, the options are endless.

Despite its bulkier size I prefer my S&W Airweight .38 special over any of my 9mm semi autos. It needs no safety and is always ready. I trust it. Feels good in my hand, easy to shoot, carries discreetly.

Your primary concern should be, are you comfortable with the firearm? Do you trust it with your life?

No disrespect at all, but I see that the OP is from Chicago I think we should check with Leroy Brown. The answer is a 32. ;)

0D1C2227-9B73-4965-B6D5-0DAF6B81CF20.jpeg

Last edited:
I don't have the Max but do carry the LCP II which is about the same size. This BORAII holster works well for my LCP II. It snaps securely in place but is easily removed when drawing by catching the hook on the pocket edge. It is not bulky and leaves full access to the slide and magazine release. Fits comfortably in the front pocket of my jeans.

1695240457593.jpg

Just me but I am a NYS certified LE trainer for getting on 20 years. Very personal decision so please take my comments as advice not anything I'm saying you SHOULD do. I myself pocket carry a LCPII in a pocket holster at times in summer due to size. But I am well aware of the disadvantages of the LCPII and the 380 but it is sure better than not having anything. My mental frame of mind is that this is an escape gun; a few to the midsection and get the he ll out of there.

WHile I do it at times I'm also rather opposed to pocket carry. Good friend, fellow LE and one of the more cautious persons with guns I know. Shot himself in the leg while pocket carrying. Bad things happen and hope it never happens to you (or ME!!). Food for thouht though.

You have a lot to consider and comfort is only one aspect of the total picture. I've found my Shadow Systems CR920 with a 10rd 9mm magazine in a Phalanx holster rides pretty well for me in all but summer trunks with a tank top. Play around with different arrangements and good luck with your decision.

I appendix carried for a while with my original shield. I stopped during covid because we were home all the time. Now i have 2 toddler/babies as well so bending over constantly and etc does. I've converted to selective carry instead of daily carry. I also put on about 25lbs. Doctors mark me as slightly overweight, I'm 6 foot and 220lbs. I have a bigger belly.

The other day i put on the holster and it was not comfortable anymore. I've borrowed some holsters and i just didn't like them. Carrying at 4 or 6 o'clock didn't seem natural to me.

I'm now considering switching over to pocket carry. LCP Max for the $350ish street price catches my eye a lot. Need to hold one in hand and shoot first tho.

Do people carry with one in the chamber? I did with my shield but I'm not sure how i feel about the pocket carry. I've order the sticky holster already in small and medium. to see how the shield would/could fit.

Maybe LCP Max in the appendix with the right holster could work. Still just exploring options again.

Anyone own the LCP max?
I own this one

and it is very carriable. I carry in the right pocket with an extra magazine or two in the left pocket.

At 10 yards it as accurate as my S&W 0.40.

Despite its bulkier size I prefer my S&W Airweight .38 special over any of my 9mm semi autos. It needs no safety and is always ready. I trust it. Feels good in my hand, easy to shoot, carries discreetly.

Your primary concern should be, are you comfortable with the firearm? Do you trust it with your life?
Got 2 of them and a Taurus (it holds 6) …

Tru-Spec cargo pants. The cargo pockets have inner pockets. The muzzle goes in the inner pocket which is deep enough to cover the trigger guard as well. With the pocket flap velcroed over no problem with lint. Up to a USP Compact with no problem. Spare mag in the opposite side cargo pocket. A decade or so trouble free so far.

LCP is a great choice, just make sure you have a holster and live round in chamber.

Recoil is brisk, too much for many women. Also it is a close up pistol, don't expect long range accuracy. I'm lucky to put all the rounds into a 5 gallon bucket at 25 yards. Might be my poor shooting skills though.

I bought a Barsony pocket holster (made in USA) off Amazon and pocket carry a Charter Arms Undercover .38 stainless hammerless every day at work (thankfully they are firearm friendly). It's basically a J-frame. That holster fits various pants very well, and is very discreet. Good luck.

I don't have the Max but do carry the LCP II which is about the same size. This BORAII holster works well for my LCP II. It snaps securely in place but is easily removed when drawing by catching the hook on the pocket edge. It is not bulky and leaves full access to the slide and magazine release. Fits comfortably in the front pocket of my jeans.

View attachment 179592
I have this very same gun. I carry (Holsterless) without one in the chamber strictly for my own safety. I use hollow point bullets because of its caliber. I can pocket this gun and no one sees any outline of it in normal menswear. I can carry it anywhere. As @BISCUT described, "But I am well aware of the disadvantages of the LCPII and the 380 but it is sure better than not having anything. My mental frame of mind is that this is an escape gun; a few to the midsection and get the he ll out of there." And is pretty spot on with that. It does have a kick to it so hold it tight, but for portability and concealment without a holster, its very hard to beat.

What the h3ll is the point of a pocket holster with the trigger exposed? It just looks like the likelyhood of something bad happening is multiplied.

The problem I have with these small carry guns is that I have big hands and they move in my hand when pulling the trigger. It's a small Glock and I took it and my larger Glock to the NRA range for some lessons with my GF. The NRA instructor told my GF to ditch the small one and he taught her how to shoot the larger one.

Back