Considering Pocket Carry

Please use a holster. About 10 years ago, we had an ex-city cop shoot himself in the leg, getting his kid at school.
No guns allowed on school grounds. My understanding, picking his kid up from school and remembered he was carrying. Got his gun out to unload it and shot himself in the leg. Should have just loaded his kid up and went home. Cost him a bunch in lawyer fees, but he got off with a slap on the wrist, as I recall.

With body armor so accessible these days theres times i go out plinking with my 9mm's and tx22 where the 92 with a 5" barrel is pretty accurate then I shoot the gx4 with a 3.5" barrel and it gets erratic, then I shoot the 22 and hit the 3" and 4" targets almost everytime that I've thought to myself if a situation arose and idk if they have body armor would I have a better fighting chance aiming at their face with a 22?

What the h3ll is the point of a pocket holster with the trigger exposed? It just looks like the likelyhood of something bad happening is multiplied.
So you can fire without removing the firearm from the holster. Mag release, safety and trigger are all accessible around the holster.

So you can fire without removing the firearm from the holster. Mag release, safety and trigger are all accessible around the holster.
Defeats the purpose of keeping your finger off the trigger when drawing. I don't want that.

So you have to train to be 100% proficient shooting the pistol with and without the holster attached. The point of a holster is to keep the safety and trigger inaccessible isn't it? No difference that open pocket carry other than printing then?

So you have to train to be 100% proficient shooting the pistol with and without the holster attached. The point of a holster is to keep the safety and trigger inaccessible isn't it? No difference that open pocket carry other than printing then?
'Xactly. Don't like. BTW, that design is supposed to facilitate back pocket carry and make it look like a wallet. Ya think some people might find it odd if you're carrying TWO wallets?

I have an LCP and also an LCP Max. The Max replaced the original in my carry rotation. I carry them chamber loaded, in an uncle mikes pocket holster. The LCP is slightly easier to shoot, for me, then that Max, but the extra 3 rounds is worth it to me. I typically load the magazine with 10 rounds, then chamber the top round in the mag.

They are light and easy to carry, easy to slip the holster into your pocket. The ease of carry helps ensure you'll actually have it with you most of the time.

Shooting is 90% muscle memory anyway.

If you feel like you’d shoot yourself in the leg with one I’d recommend you buy something else. I don’t like pocket carry at all myself but that’s what the OP asked about.

I’m so old I carry cash 🤣 We’re starting to get businesses that are card pay with a kiosk only even in my rural area though
I was actually thinking about the elastic waist-ed sweat pants that the "kids" are all wearing these days. They don't have the right pockets for carrying a wallet. When I was younger, it was mostly senior citizens who wore stretchy pants out in public.

I thought LCR in a pocket holster was not bad. Noticed the weight going from the 38+P to 357Mag but I could not handle the recoil of the lightweight 38 with even wadcutters, so I traded. YMMV. Now with 38+P loads I can least shoot a few cylinders.

My usual pants at the time were dress slacks, which had large-ish pockets and easy access. Don't think I'd try pocket carry with skinny jeans. ;) Pocket holster kept the gun situated, but even with an LCR trigger, it's a bit hard to get a negligent discharge without some amount of effort. Which is why I went that route--if I were to do IWB carry, I'd probably go with a different gun, different pants, etc.

With body armor so accessible these days theres times i go out plinking with my 9mm's and tx22 where the 92 with a 5" barrel is pretty accurate then I shoot the gx4 with a 3.5" barrel and it gets erratic, then I shoot the 22 and hit the 3" and 4" targets almost everytime that I've thought to myself if a situation arose and idk if they have body armor would I have a better fighting chance aiming at their face with a 22?
I’m a fan of the Mozambique technique - two to the body, one to the head. Takes work/practice, as the head shot requires good shot placement. I would suggest working with the 9mm more. I got good at the Mozambique with a .40 through a lot of practice.

AND

I have 3 Taurus's and am patiently waiting for the TH10 to come out so it was intriguing when i looked at that link but I see some things that throw a red flag that i'll explain right or wrong, just giving a heads up.

1. first i searched the model and upc number on gun.deals to see what other online dealers were selling it for and it showed no dealers having it in stock.

2. at the bottom of the website it gives an Orlando FL address, Taurus moved to Bainbridge GA probably 5 years ago when they built their new USA factory and headquarters.

3. I searched Taurususa which is their official site and dont see that gun on their, so it could be a non current model

4. I searched the address listed on taurusgunsonline and it comes up on google as Rieg's Gun Shop which seems to be a legit business but not sure its direct affiliation with taurus

5. i put one in the shopping cart for s&g's and one of the main payment options is various cryptos lol.

It could be legit but felt like sharing that info with you.

this works for me. fits in my back pocket. no holster. no safety. I figure if I ever really need it it is going to be at a George Zimmerman range.

IMG_0393.JPG

Last edited:
I’m a fan of the Mozambique technique - two to the body, one to the head. Takes work/practice, as the head shot requires good shot placement. I would suggest working with the 9mm more. I got good at the Mozambique with a .40 through a lot of practice.
I took an advanced pistol class years ago which used three shots like the Mozambique. But the chain starting at the pelvis. One round on pelvis, one round on center mass, one round on head. The theory was with armor or without the first shot was a more likely hit to solid flesh. It is an interesting idea, but still requires reps to master.

Back