Why not just use 0w oils?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That would be it. I think I’m tearing up
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: pscholte
I can’t resist taking the bait and veering off topic. I opened my first can (yes CAN...a shiny silver can with black printing) of Mobil 1 in the mid 70s. The only negative i have ever associated with this oil was that the early formulation sometimes allowed the low oil pressure light to illuminate at idle in an aircooled Beetle which was designed for straight weight oils.

That of course was used at the 25,000 mile recommended interval.... lol So maybe two negatives?

Ahh, the 25000 mile interval. Between the grade and the offerred potential OCI, it was a source of debate for sure.

The one I don’t get is GM tells me to run 0w20 and don’t mention an alternative …
Even if this “tight clearance” stuff was real … why would 5w20 be an issue when the OLM will not let you get too far on the OCI … 8 quarts and an oil cooler no less …
Do they figure on more PAO that can handle the DI engine?

Last edited:
But I was flying jets at the time. The idea of a synthetic by the provider of turbine engine oils was such a draw.

Originally Posted By: 4WD
The one I don’t get is GM tells me to run 0w20 and don’t mention an alternative …
Even if this “tight clearance” stuff was real … why would 5w20 be an issue when the OLM will not let you get too far on the OCI … 8 quarts and an oil cooler no less …
Do they figure on more PAO that can handle the DI engine?

8 quarts and an oil cooler? An engine lovers dream come true. Cant imagine you could stress a Zeedub too much with that. But I dont see why a 5W would cause harm unless it gets really...really....really cold.

I’m figuring the eight and a cooler isn't in the Cruze
laugh.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back