Why no Chinese made or branded oils in the U.S.?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Chinese have been known to cheat and falsify information. They could stick API SN, ILSAC, DEXOs, etc., certifications on their labels and pass it off as approved motor oil. They could also put fake Mobil 1 labels since they're huge into counterfeiting items.

Originally Posted By: wemay

Is my car going to get addicted to smoking if I run this stuff?

Originally Posted By: anndel
The Chinese have been known to cheat and falsify information. They could stick API SN, ILSAC, DEXOs, etc., certifications on their labels and pass it off as approved motor oil. They could also put fake Mobil 1 labels since they're huge into counterfeiting items.

Not just oil. Anything coming out of that country is questionable.

Because they are net importer of petroleum products than exporter.

They are already low on production capacity and import these things, and like the above mentioned scale and volume being outside of China, why would they export when they are importing? Blending oil is an automated process and Chinese strength is the low labor cost and a "sort of" efficiency due to lower legal and environmental cost than the West. Oil blending for export is not going to benefit.

They also have a tax on manufacturing output. Like the auto glass manufacturer guy who started manufacturing in the US, it is expensive to build in China.

Originally Posted By: JustN89
Originally Posted By: wemay

Is my car going to get addicted to smoking if I run this stuff?
crackmeup2.gif

Proper approvals are expensive, and shipping liquids is very expensive, especially overseas. Really destroys the profit or savings margin.

Or all this could come to an end..

1/4 Of World’s Oil Refineries Face Closure By 2035 If Greenhouse Gas Emissions Targets Are Met

Roughly a quarter of the world’s oil refineries face closure by 2035 if governments around the world manage to actually meet their current greenhouse gas emissions reduction targets, according to a new report from the think tank Carbon Tracker, the investment fund AP7, and the Denmark-based pension fund PKA.

This shutdown of refining capacity will be accompanied by a surge in electric vehicle adoption, higher fuel efficiency in internal combustion engine (ICE) grounds vehicles, and higher efficiency in jet aircraft. That could come just due to the effect of legislation intended to reduce greenhouse gas emissions expected to be introduced in the coming years, according to the report.

Owing to these expected changes, companies like Royal Dutch Shell, Total, Chevron, Sinopec, etc. could see refining profits fall by 70% or more by 2035, the report alleges.

oil refineries to face closure https://cleantechnica.com/2017/11/04/rep...ns-targets-met/

Originally Posted By: KyleP33
Or all this could come to an end..

1/4 Of World’s Oil Refineries Face Closure By 2035 If Greenhouse Gas Emissions Targets Are Met

Roughly a quarter of the world’s oil refineries face closure by 2035 if governments around the world manage to actually meet their current greenhouse gas emissions reduction targets, according to a new report from the think tank Carbon Tracker, the investment fund AP7, and the Denmark-based pension fund PKA.

This shutdown of refining capacity will be accompanied by a surge in electric vehicle adoption, higher fuel efficiency in internal combustion engine (ICE) grounds vehicles, and higher efficiency in jet aircraft. That could come just due to the effect of legislation intended to reduce greenhouse gas emissions expected to be introduced in the coming years, according to the report.

Owing to these expected changes, companies like Royal Dutch Shell, Total, Chevron, Sinopec, etc. could see refining profits fall by 70% or more by 2035, the report alleges.

oil refineries to face closure https://cleantechnica.com/2017/11/04/rep...ns-targets-met/

The odds of that happening are pretty low. Germany isn't even close on their electricity generation side and their pursuit of nuclear plant shutdowns has made that situation worse, not better, as an example.

There are a lot of items in our daily lives that are a direct result of the fossil industry, such as plastics, to which no real replacement has been implemented. The production of steel and other metals for EV's, are powered by fossil sources. The mining of metals and the recycling of metals for batteries are powered primarily by fossil sources. Trains for long-distance transport? Again, powered by and large by fossil sources, the same for trucking.

Originally Posted By: spackard
Looks like you can order Sinopec engine oil, for something close to $12/gal in bulk. It's even on Amazon, but the image there says "Made in Singapore". They're kind of China.
You can. I picked a 5 gallon bucket of it a while back for $42 to the door and did a VOA on it. It looks fine and I will try it next spring to see how it fares.

Originally Posted By: Crispysea
Sarlboro? Do they make a 5w-30 menthol?
grin.gif

I've been to Sarlboro, just S of Marlboro on 495.
Between Northboro, Southboro, and Westboro...they didn't call it Eastboro because that would have been too predictable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back