Why I won't be using Rain-X All-Season washer fluid anymore

I remember years ago reading it’s not the Rain-X itself, it just does not always play nice with other windshield washer fluids.

Are you using the washer fluid variety or the small bottle that you apply like wax ? I've used the washer fluid a couple times over many, many years and saw no difference from regular washer fluid. I do use the type you apply and if you do it right, you literally don't have to use your wipers, especially over 30-35 mph. Even below those speeds, I rarely ever have to run my wipers other than on interval mode.
Bottle Rain-X. Always left a haze like an oil sheen in direct sunlight no matter how much I buffed it. The chatter was horrible and would ruin wipers in a few months. Guess I didn't apply it right 😁. Aquapel never did any of that. Now I just Zaino ZCS it. Water literally flies off almost completely when I get going.

I don’t recall ever having any problems with the fluid. I’ve been using the rub-in treatment for over 30 years now.

I remember years ago reading it’s not the Rain-X itself, it just does not always play nice with other windshield washer fluids.
I always ensure the factory fluid is all used before switching. Perhaps that's why I haven't had any issues.

Yes, I noticed this years ago and never ran it again. If I want rain x I’ll apply it to the glass.

I use a gallon of blue windshield cleaner maybe every 5 years though… between all of our cars…
Dang. We sell it in drums at work!

I go through maybe a case or two a year between the 7 or 8 vehicles I run.

Used for years, no issues in any of my Volvo, Mercedes, Mazda, GMC, Chevy, Honda, Oldsmobile, Dodge, Pontiac or Ford's ever.

Never used this stuff but I go through so very little washer fluid that I would probably get deposits also. Good to know.

I only know the regular Rain-X isn't what it used to be. Some 20 years ago it started smearing when it lost its original scent. I haven't used Rain-X since. No idea if there's a rain repellent additive for the washer fluid that works well. I apply Invisible Glass Clean and Repel to all windows and use 303 washer fluid booster tablets in the washer fluid.

Never had any orange residue in any of my vehicles washer fluid reservoirs (Honda and Toyota). I've been using the All Season Rain-X for years. Must be the plastic your reservoir is made out of.
Like Owen, I have used the orange All-season Rain-X windshield washer fluid since it came out and have had no problems or residue at all in numerous (non-European) vehicles. As suggested by others, the residue may be a result of a reaction with a different washer formulation that was previously in the reservoir. We have evidence that it happens with certain incompatible antifreeze chemistry such as DEX-Cool. Hmmm...is it coincidental that both fluids are dyed orange? LOL 😂

I always use the green Rain X and in the winter I pour a bottle of the de-icer stuff in. No problems.

The original post was about the orange gunk. And the orange gunk is what gave my car problems. I’ll never use it again.

Reactions: GON
I have been using Rain-X all season washer fluid for about a year in our vehicles. Today was the first time I put fluid in the Charger for many months. When I pulled the cap, this is what I saw. If Rain-X leaves a build up like this in the reservoir, think about the pump, hoses, and nozzles.

Just curious, did you find the residue build-up in any of the other vehicles? Or just in the Charger's reservoir?

Back