Why I won't be using Rain-X All-Season washer fluid anymore

Never was a Rain-X fan to begin with, always made wiper blades chatter and build up residue on wiping edges. Yeah, I know it's supposed to eliminate using wipers, but it doesn't for me.
Are you using the washer fluid variety or the small bottle that you apply like wax ? I've used the washer fluid a couple times over many, many years and saw no difference from regular washer fluid. I do use the type you apply and if you do it right, you literally don't have to use your wipers, especially over 30-35 mph. Even below those speeds, I rarely ever have to run my wipers other than on interval mode.

Last edited:
Being the 'Lord of the Shoe Care Kit' -a job foisted upon the young me- I learned the importance of prep.
Then, after being taught to paint by pros, I became a Gosh Darned expert.

There are very few shortcut products in this world. And we know the automotive customer base is gullible.

There's Rain-X, the real one which hurts to apply.
And there's the shortcut glop washer fluid everyone knows has been garbage since it was introduced.

It's actually funny that BMW owners wouldn't be on to the inferiority of the washer glop.

I'm going out now to 'grease' my marker lamps and weatherstrips. And don't forget to "anti-seize" your brake guide pins.

It gunked up the filters on the washer system of my F22 2er. Never again.
I used Rain-X washer fluid a few times and never had an issue, but I used their product that you apply to the windshield and will never use their products again because of it. It did help with rain water, yes, but it created a weird film on the windshield a few weeks later that seemed impossible to get dirt and dust removed from, and was a disaster trying to see out of when the sun hit it. Not sure why, I followed the directions. Luckily that windshield had a nice rock hit it on the highway and was replaced so I could see again.

Yep - turned the inside of my S600 reservoir gummy and pink. Replaced the reservoir and pump (along with the seals and hose) and will never use it again. I thought it was a Mercedes thing, because of the fluid heating element (a steel coolant line warms the fluid), but I’m not taking chances. Parts alone to rectify this were $300. The washer fluid line was over $100 because it is electrically heated.

My go-to now for that car, and my wife’s Mercedes, is the genuine Mercedes fluid. A concentrated detergent, mixed with water, in the summer. An alcohol, mixed with water, depending on the anticipated temperature range, in the winter. The Mercedes stuff works better than the rain-X anyway.

I buy it at the dealer, where it’s a bit cheaper, but this is the stuff:

For the rest of the fleet, I am taking no chances. Regular blue fluid, with a little shot of windshield washer detergent. My experience with the Mercedes “summer fit” is that the bit of detergent does a great job cleaning bugs, even if it leaves a bit of soap film on the edges of the windshield.

I’ve been using this:

Works great. No chatter. Quick cleaning. No slime in the reservoir.
I tried the rain-x in my MB last year but it seemed to gum up the level sensor. I had to dilute what was left with water and flush it all out.
I also only use the MB washer fluid concentrate now. I usually order about 4 of them when I place an order from FCP Euro or ECS tuning, much cheaper than my local MB dealer price.

I used Rain-X washer fluid a few times and never had an issue, but I used their product that you apply to the windshield and will never use their products again because of it. It did help with rain water, yes, but it created a weird film on the windshield a few weeks later that seemed impossible to get dirt and dust removed from, and was a disaster trying to see out of when the sun hit it. Not sure why, I followed the directions. Luckily that windshield had a nice rock hit it on the highway and was replaced so I could see again.

I have experienced a similar effect, except on the side mirrors, where a persistent haze that develops makes it very difficult to get a clean, clear piece of glass. It looks fine and clear after cleaning, but when the sun hits, it's very apparent that something has been applied, and gets worse over time.

A long time ago, I tried their interior glass anti-fog, and found what it mostly did was leave a hazy fog behind as well.

I've long been wary of applying these types of coatings to the windshield, because of the maintenance requirements that come with them, and the risk of uneven wear leading to wiper chatter.

So I've stopped using them except on side and rear windows. And in that case, I've found what people say is true, the Griot's product is more like the old, original Rain-X, not the less durable version sold now.

I can understand the desire for convenience, but I prefer single purpose products, so no wash/wax, cleaner/wax, or fluid/wiper/repellant in my garage.

The only Rain-X left here is the glass cleaner scrub, and a pair of X-pert fit wiper blades (without the repellent), which have both been fine.

As an aside. I bought a 2015 Passat new. It had heated windshield washer tips. When you used it an odor was created that was just magical. Everyone that rode in the car commented on what a unique and pleasant smell if somewhat chemical in nature. It only worked with the OE fluid. Generic fluid smelled totally different. I would go to the VW dealer and overpay for their fluid just for the smell. VW bought back the car for the dieselgate settlement and none of my current vehicles have heated fluid. I miss that smell.
Huffing windshield washer fumes, that's a new one

Being the 'Lord of the Shoe Care Kit' -a job foisted upon the young me- I learned the importance of prep.
Then, after being taught to paint by pros, I became a Gosh Darned expert.

There are very few shortcut products in this world. And we know the automotive customer base is gullible.

There's Rain-X, the real one which hurts to apply.
And there's the shortcut glop washer fluid everyone knows has been garbage since it was introduced.

It's actually funny that BMW owners wouldn't be on to the inferiority of the washer glop.

I'm going out now to 'grease' my marker lamps and weatherstrips. And don't forget to "anti-seize" your brake guide pins.
I had no idea Rain X washer fluid had ingredients different than any other fluid- I assumed most washer fluids, to include Rain X, were essentially the same. Maybe Mercedes had a non-conforming proprietary formula. As mentioned, I thought someone simply licensed the Rain X name for washer fluid.

This thread brought awareness that Rain-X washer fluid does have proprietary- nonconforming ingredients that may put some windshield washer delivery systems at risk. I am glad to know this and will not be buying Rain-X in the future, I think I have a stash of 24 gallons bought at Wal Mart clearance last spring for $1 USD per gallon.

I use it on the side and rear windows.

Their orange washer fluid is such an obvious use of a trademarked name on a shortcut, lazy man's product.
Still, people just say, "I tried Rain-X and it sucked...", without specification.
Again. Been using it for decades with no issues. I have read it messes up the level indicators. Possibly over time thats true. There certainly may be better products out there. I think it just does a good job and I use it as a cleaner for home windows. Only on BITOG lol.

Before buying my truck, someone added the "Orange Washer Fluid of Death" (sorry, just thought of that) to the reservoir.
The OO pointed it out and said it made the contents look ugly.
I diluted the mix with water as it was still warm, and ran the box empty to avoid clogging.

I bet loading a reservoir with Rain-X orange and letting it sit is the worst.

Before buying my truck, someone added the "Orange Washer Fluid of Death" (sorry, just thought of that) to the reservoir.
It could be worse, could have been a mix with the "Purple" juice.

1709474545705.jpeg

Last edited:
^^Your post made me remember when 3 of us drove cross-country.
With little money to spend we had a pitcher/jug which we all drank from.
We'd throw in any juice, Kool-Aid mix or anything else into the jug before it was empty...without regard for color.
The grape and orange mixes were the worst.
We called it all "Ugly Juice".

Wanna talk strengthened immune systems? ....talk to me.

Never had any orange residue in any of my vehicles washer fluid reservoirs (Honda and Toyota). I've been using the All Season Rain-X for years. Must be the plastic your reservoir is made out of.

Reactions: wlk
Back