Headlight washer nozzles

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
So, this is a new one to me.

The Jeep, like me previous two SRT's, has headlight washers. It's a pump located under each headlight with a telescoping "wand" that shoots out and a nozzle blasts the headlights clean. Operation looks like this:

You have no control over when they operate.

So, the other day, I hit the sprayer to clear the dust off the windshield in my driveway and the passenger side is spraying like a garden hose all over the vehicle. Hmmmm...

I am reminded of this again today when I was leaving work and hit the sprayers and it dumped like a litre of fluid all over the hood.

Get home, pull the arm out using an iMac screen removal wedge tool and the nozzle is totally missing. There's just a large hole there where it's supposed to be. So, apparently it was launched off the sprayer at some point and a cursory glance around my driveway did not yield the unit, so I've probably lost it somewhere on the road. Contacted the dealer, SM is going to see if that part is available by itself (maybe they have one kicking around). I'd hate to have to buy a whole sprayer assembly for a $0.50 nozzle.

Anybody else ever have something like this happen? My bimmer had nozzles fixed to the bumper just under the light, so this wasn't possible. Will update with what I end up doing once I hear back from the dealership. Important to get this remedied, as I'll otherwise run out of fluid quite quickly I suspect, given the volume expelled.

Last edited:
I'm also interested to hear how you address this.
IMHO, it would probably be more beneficial long-term, to simply block the fluid lines to those washers.
They work great in the winter to blast the salt and slush off the lights, so I definitely plan on keeping them. This is the first time I've had a problem and hoping it's a fluke (I'd be surprised to hear this is a common mode of failure).

I have never SpaceXed a washer nozzle.

You said you have no control over when they operate. They work with the headlights turned off and without you activating the windshield squirters?

Had one fail on the Boxster, they are part of the HID light option. Same concept as yours, the extending wand. The sprayer developed a leak and was not available separately..also, being slightly lower than the reservoir, it would drain the fluid. Woke up to a blue puddle and a very small geyser in front of the headlamp :D BTW adjusting the replacement was a bit fiddly.

Just wow- not even sure on that one. Feel like it is something not needed….
There is a lot of gadgetry in many new cars that I could live without. These gadgets have helped drive the cost of vehicles into the stratosphere. I wish there were more simple vehicles available like the Dacia Duster that a fellow
BITOGer showed us recently.

Another thing that I find unnecessary is low profile tires being the only type available on a new vehicle. When we bought the 2021 Mazda CX-30 I was happy that it came with 16" tires (215/65/16) in the base models. Besides costing much less to replace they take the ubiquitous potholes and poor roads of NY much better than lower profile 18" tires. I've read that Mazda stopped putting 16" tires on the 2024 CX-5 and it disappoints me.

Way back in the 70's the regular wiper nozzle was a plastic thing that clipped to the grill on the cowell. Maybe you could search around the web and repurpose something.

Or have some local 16 year old 3D print one for you.

My BMW has telescopic nozzles for headlights. Absolutely love them in winter!
That being said, I once hit pothole so hard that nozzle broke. Got on eBay for like $45.
In BMW through INPA or aftermarket softwares like ProTool or Carly I can set up when nozzles are going to activate. Headlights must be on (I never use Auto) and when spraying windshield i have option to set them up every time to activate when spraying windshield, every third or every fifth time. I set it every 5th as they use serious amount of fluid.
So, I would say you could do same on JEEP if you have their software.

I have never SpaceXed a washer nozzle.

You said you have no control over when they operate. They work with the headlights turned off and without you activating the windshield squirters?
I mean, I can't choose when they spray when I use the windshield sprayer; can't disable them.

My BMW has telescopic nozzles for headlights. Absolutely love them in winter!
That being said, I once hit pothole so hard that nozzle broke. Got on eBay for like $45.
In BMW through INPA or aftermarket softwares like ProTool or Carly I can set up when nozzles are going to activate. Headlights must be on (I never use Auto) and when spraying windshield i have option to set them up every time to activate when spraying windshield, every third or every fifth time. I set it every 5th as they use serious amount of fluid.
So, I would say you could do same on JEEP if you have their software.
Interesting, yeah, might be able to do that with Witech, they seem to be time-based. It took more than 5 sprays yesterday to get them to come on, but I did those in succession to see if I could catch what was going on with the unit. They also spray when the lights are off, the lights being on/off doesn't seem to have an impact.

Interesting, yeah, might be able to do that with Witech, they seem to be time-based. It took more than 5 sprays yesterday to get them to come on, but I did those in succession to see if I could catch what was going on with the unit. They also spray when the lights are off, the lights being on/off doesn't seem to have an impact.
Yeah, in BMW lights must be on. Maybe you can set that up too.

I know using the OE scan tool many of them can be tweaked or even disabled. I have one set up to wash every third operation of the windshield washers and lights on. Usually when the little ball blows out the socket is cracked also and requires the unit to be replaced.

I like headlight washer nozzles, would be nice if there was retrofit type kit. I would want full control like a separate push button.
I had a separate button on my IS350 that was dedicated to only wash the headlights.
As you could imagine I didn't use it much, as I keep my vehicles quite clean.

It didn't help when car was cold at start up but once engine was warm was great. My dad wrapped the upper radiator hose with like 5/16 vacuum line and spliced into the washer nozzles. Heated fluid for helping to melt stuff. We would also add some rubbing alcohol to the reservoir to help with freeze point. This was before many of the glycol based additives.

Worked great on our winter ski trips and going to school by the Canadian border (Potsdam, NY)

He always made a point that the cars needed to get cleaned good and a good coat of wax before winter especially the lights also. He would always make sure there was a rag for wiping headlights and taillights as needed when you stopped for gas etc.

Back