:::Why Ford Made An INCREDIBLE Blunder (RE 2019 Ford Ranger)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Dealers will initially sell Rangers at or very close to the full sticker price, making an F150 cheaper due to it's deep manufacture and dealer discounts.
They don't offer one with a regular cab on the Ford website.

Australia, with it's population of 25 million can buy this, but we wont be able to.

29f2moo.jpg

As the owner of a regular cab S-10, I can’t say that NOT offering a regular cab compact truck is a bad idea.

The practicality for anything but the most basic of uses is pretty low. And that’s coming from someone who loves their truck and will never sell it if I can help it.
Yep. Besides maybe some fleet buyers hardly anyone cares about regular cab and/or stripped down to nothing trucks these days.

Quote:
Yep. Besides maybe some fleet buyers hardly anyone cares about regular cab and/or stripped down to nothing trucks these days.

The Off Road community DID, there is nothing better than a compact 4x4 truck. The Ranger fit that bill, along with Jeep and Nissan Xterra.

The things I would use a single cab truck for, has literally been cannibalized by Jeep Wrangler.

Buy a Jeep and a trailer. Leave the compact in the past. Sad but true.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jcartwright99
There is a reason trucks like the old Ranger don't exist anymore. You make very little margin on a truck like that. 98% of the buying public in the US doesn't want manual door locks and or windows.

Yep. Most want the glitter and glam package, not a stripped bare bones truck.

I agree the $200K house and driving a $50-60K truck is silly.

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
Quote:

The Off Road community DID, there is nothing better than a compact 4x4 truck. The Ranger fit that bill, along with Jeep and Nissan Xterra.

The things I would use a single cab truck for, has literally been cannibalized by Jeep Wrangler.

Buy a Jeep and a trailer. Leave the compact in the past. Sad but true.
Did being the key word. The typical newer Jeep I see these days is four door with Cadillac amenities. Sure they'll have anchor shackles attached to the aftermarket bumpers but I doubt it's ever gotten dirty.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
There is a disconnect between the automakers and the general public on the small pickup sector. I agree, there is a market for a plain barebones pickup truck.

As a friend of mine said, the problem isn't the size of the truck, the problem is the size of the profit margin.

Originally Posted By: SirTanon
Yet another blunder, in a long chain of blunders that Ford has been making lately, such as eliminating all cars from their lineup except one.

+1 I was a big Ford fan boy, not so much anymore. I'm interested in seeing what they do with the Bronco, it will either win me back, or they'll lose my business for a very long time, possibly forever. Currently I don't like anything Ford offers. Not that they care.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Originally Posted By: jcartwright99
There is a reason trucks like the old Ranger don't exist anymore. You make very little margin on a truck like that. 98% of the buying public in the US doesn't want manual door locks and or windows.

Yep. Most want the glitter and glam package, not a stripped bare bones truck.

I agree the $200K house and driving a $50-60K truck is silly.

Forget buying a single family house for that any where along the West Coast-and the Western U.S. (Arizona, Nevada, Utah, Colorado) for anywhere close to that price. Try double and then some.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: John_K
Originally Posted By: PimTac
There is a disconnect between the automakers and the general public on the small pickup sector. I agree, there is a market for a plain barebones pickup truck.

As a friend of mine said, the problem isn't the size of the truck, the problem is the size of the profit margin.

Probably didn't own stock in the company he was referencing......

It’s almost as if they’re a business and want to make money.

Selling a stripped out $18,000 version and making nearly zero profit would be the blunder.

All the small trucks, if you ask me, with the possible exception of the Titan, are overpriced. Heck, even the Titan is overpriced considering how long they've been making a killing off of an old platform.
wink.gif

When you price a Ranger with anything for equipment it is going to be $30K

A base model 2018 Toyota Tundra 2WD with a V8 is $32,000.

Originally Posted By: SirTanon
Yet another blunder, in a long chain of blunders that Ford has been making lately, such as eliminating all cars from their lineup except one.

Cars are a tough sell. Even Honda and Toyota are having problems moving the new Accord and Camry. The US public wants CUVs, SUVs and Trucks. Given that CUVs are just taller cars it would be easy to switch back should tastes change.

Keeping the Mustang going makes sense. It is a core part of Ford and has huge heritage and brand equity. Probably 1st ahead of the F150. They've made it non-stop since 1964 so that makes sense. It's as American as Apple Pie and Baseball.

I don't see it as a blunder - the car market is shrinking and better to let that consolidation happen and go to what is new and pump that up and move to the next thing.

I just saw that base Ranger- that's one penalty box or fleet queen right there.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: wdn

So what you're saying is that someone that doesn't want or need a base Tundra can buy an optioned Ranger and save thousands? Sounds like a decent plan. IME Ford's sticker price is a suggestion. Toyota is married to theirs. $3-4000+ is pretty significant when you get to payment time.

Not at all, a Toyota base model still gives you more standard equipment, stainless steel exhaust and a lot of other things. And of course you are getting a Toyota V8. Toyota dealers haggle just like any other manufacturer too.

Originally Posted By: hatt

So what you're saying is that someone that doesn't want or need a base Tundra can buy an optioned Ranger and save thousands? Sounds like a decent plan. IME Ford's sticker price is a suggestion. Toyota is married to theirs. $3-4000+ is pretty significant when you get to payment time.

Don't forget that one of the major reason the domestics kick butt in the pickup truck segment is because there's a pretty hefty 25% tariff on imported pickup trucks. So yeah, Ford can just say just kidding about the price, but Toyota has to stick to their price because they're not making anywhere near as much profit as Ford.

Not at all, a Toyota base model still gives you more standard equipment, stainless steel exhaust and a lot of other things. And of course you are getting a Toyota V8. Toyota dealers haggle just like any other manufacturer too.
What is the pricing and features on the Taco? Compare that to the Ranger.

Originally Posted By: MNgopher
FWIW,the Colorado MSRP starts at 20,200 plus a 995 delivery charge, making the apples to apples price comparison $21,195 for the Colorado versus the original price the OP posted (which included delivery). The starting MSRP quoted on the Ranger (with Delivery) was $25,300, for a difference of $4,105, not the 5k as on the OP's post.

Use TrueCar.com
I just did and saw that you can get a very basic, cheapest new Colorado for a market average of $20,700. At first, the Ranger will not be discounted, so it will cost more by several thousand bucks, about $4,600 difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back