Why don't plane manufactures update their models?

The 747 has change quit a bit. It went from a 3 person cockpit crew to a two person cockpit crew. different wings steam gauges to a computer screen cockpit. Not that I know more than that, but those are the things I noticed because of work and the A&Ps I know we would coffee break in the 747 freighter cockpits.
They run GEnX engines now - here is the 800i that I was on recently
86E3F5AE-0207-475E-90CB-716F8E0CF286.jpeg
7D195650-ACC0-40DB-AE85-BDAF7D717F9B.jpeg

03D2FC81-866C-4E01-9178-7248D29986F2.jpeg

As @Kuato said, it costs a lot to certify a new airplane (or engine). For GA prop planes they don't sell enough to justify that cost and make it back. @y_p_w said brand new isn't much different from a decades old model. That's true. In fact the older model often has better performance (payload, speed, efficiency) since it has the same engine & airframe yet is lighter.

Experimental is where it's at for innovation. Most are lighter, faster, more efficient and less expensive than certified airplanes. Yet the difference isn't huge, and comes with greater demands on owner time & effort, and doesn't have quite as good safety record as certified.

As @Kuato said, it costs a lot to certify a new airplane (or engine). For GA prop planes they don't sell enough to justify that cost and make it back. @y_p_w said brand new isn't much different from a decades old model. That's true. In fact the older model often has better performance (payload, speed, efficiency) since it has the same engine & airframe yet is lighter.

Experimental is where it's at for innovation. Most are lighter, faster, more efficient and less expensive than certified airplanes. Yet the difference isn't huge, and comes with greater demands on owner time & effort, and doesn't have quite as good safety record as certified.

John Denver had a pretty bad experience in one.

Poor preflight and little familiarization got him, it had nothing to do with an airplane malfunction.

I get it. However, whoever built it customized the fuel tank switch, That's always a danger with those things. Kind of reminds me about things I've heard of former Soviet era helicopters where everything might be in a different place depending on who assembled it.

I did see an episode of Northern Exposure where Maggie the bush pilot decides to build a kit plane. Her boyfriend (I think - or was it maybe the ex-Marine pilot she consulted with) comes by and protests when he finds that she has leftover parts and didn't follow the instructions precisely. But then the FAA inspector checks it out and says she did a better job than most.

I'm surprised that no automaker hasn't tried that with a good selling model for 4 or 5 years straight. Just make a car like the Camry identical without a single change for 5 years and see what happens. They look identical as it is. Imagine how cheap and easy parts would get. A bit like they did with the Checker Marathon back in the 60's.

It's done quite a lot in the rest of the world. Easiest example was the Nissan Tsuru B13 Sentra that was a 1990s Sentra sold until 2017 in Mexico for only $7000. They also sold first gen Golfs and Jettas in South Africa, along with 90s or so Toyota Corollas. Mexico I think still sold the MKIV Jetta until very recently, too.

South Africa still has the 70 Series Land Cruisers, too.

China sold this until recently, too, for only $2500 out the door, a 1980s Suzuki Alto clone.

Everyone argues the ethics that newer vehicles *should* be safer, etc, but I'd make the argument it's better for poorer people to be able to buy old cars in new metal for cheap like that, and not have to deal with rust and the general points of failure of just being old, even if crash safety remains the same.

Regarding Checker Cabs, Japan did exactly that with the Toyota Crown taxis.

Early 1990s Toyota Crown kept in production for taxi use only until 2017.

I'm surprised that no automaker hasn't tried that with a good selling model for 4 or 5 years straight. Just make a car like the Camry identical without a single change for 5 years and see what happens. They look identical as it is. Imagine how cheap and easy parts would get. A bit like they did with the Checker Marathon back in the 60's.
Studebaker! Seems like a good idea to me (who thinks automotive styling passed its high-water mark many years ago).

Studebaker! Seems like a good idea to me (who thinks automotive styling passed its high-water mark many years ago).

I think automotive designers should have been shot when they brought out that ugly Scion XB. That rolling box looked like it was designed by a kindergarten class, with stick men as drivers..... Or Chipmunks like the Chuck E. Cheese commercial.

I agree with you, but there are lots of complaints about the lack of a refresh of the styling of the Tesla Model S and Tesla Model 3. And there have been lots of invisible upgrades.

Back