Why does synthetic oil last longer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: tig1
Originally Posted By: FordCapriDriver
Originally Posted By: Kuato
yep, and one reason it's so much better is that the carbon chain molecules are all uniform in length. In a non-synthetic you have various lengths; the shorter ones can burn off more easily, the longer ones are thicker and can cause sludge.

I made a post about this a few months back and pretty much everybody agreed that it's just a [censored] marketing strategy.

You and everyone else are wrong.

https://mobiloil.com/en/article/car-main...cVsConventional

Well [censored].
27.gif
I didn't say it was the ONLY reason. Apologies for the incomplete answer.

Originally Posted By: FowVay
I have not seen any vehicle manufacturers state that it is acceptable to extend drain intervals based on the use of a synthetic oil.

Of course they won't. Why would they? Why would they generate "Legaleese" language in theie warranty and open themselves to false claims? The manufacturer would gain nothing in return. Someone could abuse their engine, then dump a syn in it and want a pay off. Thats a false expectation to look for a "syn warranty" from a vehicle manufacturer.

Originally Posted By: FowVay
The marketing term "synthetic" guarantees you NOTHING.

The "marketing term" indeed guarantees nothing. What DOES matter to a oils performance and lifespan is enhanced additive packages, uniform molecules, TBN retention, higher shear and temp stability, etc. Thats exactly what you get with synthetics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back