iphone 12 -- set brightness without getting into the phone?

Hello BITOG-ers.

I have an iphone question. Maybe your experiences can assist.

I leave the screen brightness down while I am home. Then, I find myself outside and the brightness is still down. I then can't see the screen to do the passcode entry.

Is it possible to set the iphone brightness without first getting past the lock screen? Any button combos that turn up the brightness before logging in?

I have tried looking online, but, the advice is always to use the brightness slider.

I appreciate your advice.

Clint

Yeah I've had this happen. I would setup facial or finger print recognition which works well in bright light. I have finger print recognition on my phone and its nice. Just pickup the phone and its on and going. There is also an auto brightness option you can find. I think it works before getting in.

Have you played with this?

Settings>Display and Brightness.

Turn the automatic setting to on and after that adjust the brightness slider which is further down the screen. Turn on Tru Tone which is right below the brightness slider.

Have you played with this?

Settings>Display and Brightness.

Turn the automatic setting to on and after that adjust the brightness slider which is further down the screen. Turn on Tru Tone which is right below the brightness slider.

Tru Tone is what they call automatic brightness?

I have an iPhone 12 mini. I can ask Siri to adjust the brightness on my iPhone when it's locked. "Hey Siri adjust the brightness to maximum". It doesn't require me to unlock the screen.

Asking Siri to turn on Bluetooth requires me to unlock the screen however.

I asked Siri. "hey Siri turn brightness to 50 percent" for this screen shot on my locked iPhone.

IMG_5343.PNG

Enable auto brightness and make sure “reduce white point” is disabled. You can still control the brightness normally via the slider in the command center aka swipe down from top right corner, but it’ll also adjust itself accordingly.

Auto brightness and white point settings are under Settings>Accessibility>Display & Text Size

Another idea is to change your background or wallpaper. Lots of wallpapers look cool but make text harder to read.

I settled on a grayish green color that I customized from the settings.

Why not just turn on adaptive brightness?

Sometimes the software just freaks out and it gets dark and it's hard to see what's on the screen. Sometimes it's just blank and it's difficult to get to the sliders.

I've found that sometimes the only option is to shut it down and restart, although one would need to know where the slider is. And worst case is a force restart. That's the key because it doesn't require the slider to shut down and only required button pressing/holding. And every time I've had an issue with the display brightness, a restart at least resets it to the point where I can see something.

Hello all.

I have now flipped on Auto Brightness. White Point was already disabled. Note... the "Automatic" setting under Display and Brightness is the switch from light to dark mode, not the auto control of screen brightness. That may not be particularly straightforward if you just glance at the Display and Brightness screen. The Auto Brightness is under Accessibility (or use the search).

I will try this out and see how it goes.

Thanks again.

Clint

Other options =

"Hey Siri turn up the brightness on my phone"
or
"Hey Siri turn down the brightness on my phone"

(I use auto but the above two can be helpful, like at the beach instead of swiping the screen, just tell Siri to make sure you're at the max.

To make sure Auto Brightness is turned on.

1. Settings
2. Accessibility
3. Display and Text Size, Scroll down the page and select "Auto-Brightness"

As another in here noted, if your phone is hot, lets say form sitting in the sun, the brightness will turn down until it cools down.
If you cant see the screen, see my post at #14

Hello all.

I would like to report in on this question some days after doing the suggestions.

I think the changes I made as suggested have worked well enough to prevent the brightness being too low/dark when I move from darker area to brighter area.

1) System Settings >> Display and Brightness ---> True Tone set to ON
2) System Settings >> Accessibility >> Display and Text Size ---> Auto Brightness set to ON

Thanks again for the suggestions.

Clint

Back