Why Do Some Folks Dislike Fram Oil Filters?

Originally Posted by MetalSlug
Fram had bad rep for many many years on this forum, for carb board end cap, its a really poor quality. AND PEOPLES BEEN ASKING AND ASKING FOR MANY YEARS, FOR FRAM TO CHANGE TO METAL END CAP, THEY FAIL TO LISTEN. Fram say it help stick to the media better, bla bla bla. this where OCOD , Orange Can Of Death nick name came from, also bad rep on EVERY SINGLE cars forum. Even today its still cheap made, but when the Ultra came out, its a solid oil filter, i use fram air filter on all my vehicles, fram ultra from time to time, but never OCOD.

peoples try to mask and try to forget OCOD nickname, by came up with another name, nickname..... but it will never going away. The damage already been done, nothing can fix it. I dont care how much fram rep came here try to defend it, or fan boy try to defend it, OCOD nick name will never go away. End of discussion .

A fair number of OE filters are either, fiber end caps or even no end caps at all. I've used PH9688 many times. Even cut open one or two. It's never given me any reason to doubt its construction or efficiency. Using one right now on the Sportage as a matter of fact.

Originally Posted by Patman
Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
The Purolator filters will also be hated for many years due to their media tearing issues.

I don't think anyone outside of BITOG knows about that issue though. I have never heard anyone in person or on any other forum mention anything bad about Purolator. (for that matter I don't hear anyone talking about them at all)

exactly, I been on almost every high performing cars forum, and none heard about this rumor. Peoples many years try to come up with new name, nick pick every little thing wrong with other brand of oil filter to masking the worse oil filter on planet that fram made. Even youtube say so.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JMJNet
Because people LIKE the Fram XG aka Ultra.

There are people who wouldn't put a Fram Ultra on their vehicle if their life depended on it. It's just ignorance....

exactly, I been on almost every high performing cars forum, and none heard about this rumor. Peoples many years try to come up with new name, nick pick every little thing wrong with other brand of oil filter to masking the worse oil filter on planet that fram made. Even youtube say so.

I would say it is because almost no one cuts open filters except on here. Torn media is a silent failure that would not be at all obvious by any other means than a disassembly of the filter.

One really needs to get a grip on reality sometimes.

I have just always believed they were cheaply made filters. Yeah, I didn't like the cardboard end caps also. I just always associated all Fram products as inferior products. To be honest, I don't remember when or how I formulated my opinions.
I'm believed this way for 40+ years. Even after reading on this board how good the Ultra's are I still can't go there. I'm amazed at how prejudiced and how ignorant I am.

Last edited:
Old news. I have used OCOD filters sine I started changing oil in the early 90's. Never had any oil related issue, ever.

I have run a mix of TG and Ultras on my Trailblazer over 200,000km ago and just use Ultra's now as I do long oil change indexes. No problems.

I ran Napa Gold and then Ultras on my 1500. Never any issues. I am running a TG on my riding mower. No problems.

I have ran Feetguard and now Baldwin/Hastings on my Cummins ISB6.7 as they are the go to filters. Would I run a Fram? Not sure. Ultras run close to 20$ for that application and I just bought a Baldwin BT7349 for 10$ all in.

Here's a youtube video which shows a brand new in-box Fram standard (extra guard) "OCOD" filter, cut open, revealing a manufacture defect in the media seam which created a small breach for oil to pass through unfiltered: "For You Fram Oil Filter Lovers"
Again this filter is dry and new, straight from the factory. This video is old and it got a LOT of views (1.8M) and this is likely where the hate originally started. There are lots of cheap crap oil filters on the market, but I believe this video -- and others like it -- is how Fram got singled out.
Personally I would never use a Fram standard filter simply because I would rather spend $2 more and get a premium filter, nothing specifically against Fram. But even if I did use a Fram standard filter, I am sure the vehicle would be fine since regular service is more important than using the very best materials (assuming the minimum requirements are met, of course).
Lately I have been cashing in on RockAuto.com close-out specials, getting premium synthetic filters (FPS and M1EP) for $3-4 apiece.

How are Tough Guards (silver can)? I use ultra but I don't go longer than 7k. I never cared about filters or thought about them until I found this site. Now, I guess and second guess all of my automotive decisions.

Originally Posted by jcartwright99
How are Tough Guards (silver can)? I use ultra but I don't go longer than 7k. I never cared about filters or thought about them until I found this site. Now, I guess and second guess all of my automotive decisions.

Fram Tough Guard vs Ultra Guard

The vast majority of vehicle owners don't know or care about the oil filter as long as one is on the car. Its places like this board and others that debate the pros and cons of filters. I used the so called OCOD for many a year without a second thought or a problem. There just happens to be a lot better filters available today for not a whole lot of money. A lot of what is on the internet is scare tactics and nonsense. Use it or not, its up to you. Just don't believe everything you read or hear.

Originally Posted by kschachn
This is of course pretty much the definition of a troll thread. But if I were to play along, where are you seeing this hate? On here?

They do have a bad reputation though..

Originally Posted by Jimmy_Russells
Some people still believe Pennzoil contains wax, it's pretty hard to turn around perception. Takes a long time.

This is one I'll never forget, back in high school a brother of a friend of mine who was a mechanic always use to tell us "don't use Pennzoil it has wax in it" and I have to admit I never used any Pennzoil until I came here and tried it a couple years ago.

He would bash Fram as well but don't remember what he recommended.

I don't think there is anything inherently wrong with Fram filters or their construction using fiber end caps. My qualm with using them (PH series) is that there are better alternatives for the same price.

If you compare a cut open a Fram with most any filter of comparable price, you'll see that the value equation is usually not in Fram's favor. The Fram media is thin and cheap feeling and there's not as much of it. I'm not saying there aren't worse filters out there. But out of all the cheap Chinese filters I've used, E-cores, Wix, Champ Labs made, Hastings, etc., I can't remember opening one up that looked as cheaply done as a Fram PH filter. I'm going by appearance here, have not done any scientific testing, but look and feel of the materials used is certainly a valid indicator of quality.

So if someone gave me a Fram PH filter to use, I'd use it; have used plenty over the years with no ill effects. If given the choice I won't buy them because there are better options out there that are just as affordable.

Personally I have no dislike of them other than trying to charge more for the same thing, I don't even mind the cardboard end cap (they are replaced way before the cardboard breakdown anyways). There are way worse filters you can buy (i.e. those that have media split when in use, I forgot which brand).

Human has a tendency to root for the underdog and "best kept secret", instead of the more famous guy that spend more on marketing but selling the same stuff.

The Purolator filters will also be hated for many years due to their media tearing issues.

I don't think anyone outside of BITOG knows about that issue though. I have never heard anyone in person or on any other forum mention anything bad about Purolator. (for that matter I don't hear anyone talking about them at all)

Just Google it ... the tearing media problem has made it to most car enthusiast chat boards and some on YouTube and Facebook. It might have all started on BITOG, but word has spread out pretty good.

exactly, I been on almost every high performing cars forum, and none heard about this rumor.

Google it ... I find all kinds of automotive chat board hits on the subject matter.

https://www.google.com/search?newwi...131j0i10j0i22i30j33i22i29i30.tny4UiIfOcw

Originally Posted by DGXR
Here's a youtube video which shows a brand new in-box Fram standard (extra guard) "OCOD" filter, cut open, revealing a manufacture defect in the media seam which created a small breach for oil to pass through unfiltered: "For You Fram Oil Filter Lovers"
Again this filter is dry and new, straight from the factory. This video is old and it got a LOT of views (1.8M) and this is likely where the hate originally started. There are lots of cheap crap oil filters on the market, but I believe this video -- and others like it -- is how Fram got singled out.

I find people on YouTube and commenting on YouTube are very misinformed, especially in the technical aspect of life, and believe anything negative in the world.

Originally Posted by csandste
Once upon a time there was an employee who left Fram and was angry about it. He posted (on the MOPAR board) that the orange can of death was a horrible thing that had cardboard end caps and would surely destroy any car. He was on this board for a short time about fifteen years ago. This view of Fram quickly spread all over the Internet. Everyone, including me, believed it.

No way to verify he was actually an ex-employee. More likely to be a hater that lied about being an employee to spread hate. Maybe he was the same clown that claimed he left Purolator all [censored] off and posted some big fake description of why Purolators were tearing. That tread was deleted from BITOG after he was called out, but it's still on some other auto chat boards.

I know a lot of people dislike the "cardboard" end caps. That really doesn't bother me. My dislike of the orange can is pretty basic, and not solely Fram's fault, but the fault of Canadian retailers. I can get better construction features on other name brand filters for cheaper. The orange can isn't exactly available at a big discount up here. I can get Baldwin on regular price cheaper than an on sale Fram orange can. Also, the link posted above is illustrative of the "general mood," let's say, over the years.

Last edited:
Back