Why Do Some Folks Dislike Fram Oil Filters?

Believe me, Fram (especially Ultras) DO have a rust problem in areas that use salt on the roads-the Sure Grip coating can trap salty water & start rusting the can, especially if something causes a dent. Just have to check on them sometimes. Weirdly the non-Sure Grip FPS Ultras HAVE NOT done that!
Even the Ultra has always had thin cans/paint compared to M1 & Wix

I prefer OEM, usually the price is decent, and I know they’re good for getting an engine to at least out of warranty. :)

Not sure I could do Fram today, all it would take is one person finding out and giving me grief, just not worth the hassle… although I wouldn‘t mind this supposedly thinner metal can, the OEM Denso’s are a real bear to cut open and inspect (probably because I cheaped out on my opener, my fault I know).

Ben quite a few reports here on BITOG of Wix filters leaking at the base crimp/seal. Pretty much every filter brand has some reported issue ... none are perfect.
I was a big Wix user on my ''fleet'' for years until the winter of '22. 3 filters on 3 different vehicles started gasket seeping. I've got technician grip so they were on tight. Had to super crank them down to stop the seepage. 2 3.6 Chevys and a 5.3.
I attribute this to the Mann takeover. I've gone to UPR AC filters now.

This topic (and therefore this thread) is full of anecdotal bias, pro and con. It's that way because we BITOGers have no way whatsoever of knowing the statisical results of how any brand/model of filter fares in terms of failure mode rates, and warranty claims in the overall marketplace.

I've used Fram filter (EG, TG, XG) in different applications. I've never had an EG be anything but a decent filter; I've cut them open and everything is fine. But I must acknowledge that I've seen some very "iffy" and concerning examples posted here on BITOG. So my personal experiece does not align with other people's here, but that should not place any weight for either experience, good or bad.

Same goes for "OEM" filters. I've cut open Motorcraft filters and seen nothing wrong, but there have been examples here which concern all of us, and rightly so.

Same goes for Wix filters ... and other brands.

The reality is that filter products made up of commodities, combined with labor and manufacturing efforts. There is no perfect product made in mass quantities.

The following is a list of things which often cause bias against Fram products:
- fiber end caps (EG and TG) rather than metal
- leaf springs rather than coil spring to fit the element to the baseplate
- dome end bypass rather than base end
- uneven pleats
- tears in media after use
- rust on exterior after long use
- nitrile ADBV (EG and sometimes the TG)
And guess what ... not one of those things above are unique to Fram's products. We've seen those things in other brands as well.
* Some high-end filters use fiber end caps on VERY expensive cars (Rolls/Bently); no one complains about that.
* Some OEM filters use no end cap (they are just glued); that does not stop folks from using some Toyota or Subaru, among others.
* Some high-end filters use leaf springs (Amsoil, for example, in some of their products); no one complains about that.
* Some well-respected filter (Wix; Mobil1; Baldwin, etc ... ) have shown uneven pleats as well
* Tears in media have been observed in nearly every brand we've seen here in one example or another
Etc ...

The bias for or against any product is often based on perception and not an understanding of the total reality of the marketplace.

It be what it be.

Last edited:
This topic (and therefore this thread) is full of anecdotal bias, pro and con. It's that way because we BITOGers have no way whatsoever of knowing the statisical results of how any brand/model of filter fares in terms of failure mode rates, and warranty claims in the overall marketplace.

I've used Fram filter (EG, TG, XG) in different applications. I've never had an EG be anything but a decent filter; I've cut them open and everything is fine. But I must acknowledge that I've seen some very "iffy" and concerning examples posted here on BITOG. So my personal experiece does not align with other people's here, but that should not place any weight for either experience, good or bad.

Same goes for "OEM" filters. I've cut open Motorcraft filters and seen nothing wrong, but there have been examples here which concern all of us, and rightly so.

Same goes for Wix filters ... and other brands.

The reality is that filter products made up of commodities, combined with labor and manufacturing efforts. There is no perfect product made in mass quantities.

The following is a list of things which often cause bias against Fram products:
- fiber end caps (EG and TG) rather than metal
- leaf springs rather than coil spring to fit the element to the baseplate
- dome end bypass rather than base end
- uneven pleats
- tears in media after use
- rust on exterior after long use
- nitrile ADBV (EG and sometimes the TG)
And guess what ... not one of those things above are unique to Fram's products. We've seen those things in other brands as well.
* Some high-end filters use fiber end caps on VERY expensive cars (Rolls/Bently); no one complains about that.
* Some OEM filters use no end cap (they are just glued); that does not stop folks from using some Toyota or Subaru, among others.
* Some high-end filters use leaf springs (Amsoil, for example, in some of their products); no one complains about that.
* Some well-respected filter (Wix; Mobil1; Baldwin, etc ... ) have shown uneven pleats as well
* Tears in media have been observed in nearly every brand we've seen here in one example or another
Etc ...

The bias for or against any product is often based on perception and not an understanding of the total reality of the marketplace.

It be what it be.
YUP

Back when folks started posting the Purolator tears - I had several of them and some MC’s … cut a mess of them new. What I found to be disturbing was the media could so easily be torn with your fingers.
I cut open an M1 and could not tear the blended media …

Never tried with Fram - only bought the XG’s …

Back when folks started posting the Purolator tears - I had several of them and some MC’s … cut a mess of them new. What I found to be disturbing was the media could so easily be torn with your fingers.
I cut open an M1 and could not tear the blended media …

Never tried with Fram - only bought the XG’s …
Yup, and I was called a “brave soul” for pushing a vintage tough guard to 20k ☠️💀😝

Back