Why Do Ford Pickups Sell So Well?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
Because Ford Models make sense, F150 F250...F650 no bull... and priced low because of Volume.

Then you got yuppie junk like the Honda Ridgeline.... and the [censored] "GMC" or is it a Chevy, but it's the same truck.

Ford is bringing back the Ranger to the U.S. also.

Those yuppies love their pickup trucks with the optional $7000 glitter and glam package...

There is nothing wrong with the "glitter and glam" package if you can afford it. You bring this up EVERY TIME someone mentions they are looking at a nice SUV or truck.

Not sure what your point is Mr. Nice. There are plenty of "yuppies" with money.

I like the glitter and glam options on my truck. They're nice to have when heading out for some play time. I could have saved a substantial amount by going with a stripped-down work truck, but it wouldn't have provided the same experience.

Quote:

originally posted by Johnny2Bad:

Toyota full size trucks don't have a frame, they are unibody vehicles. That may be OK for some, but I doubt many people who actually use their trucks to haul stuff want a unibody vehicle; bend it once, and that can be just an oil-can dent in a structural member, and it's a total loss vehicle. I hope I don't have to outline how many ways there is to bend a unibody vehicle when you are dropping loads into and out of the box.

If the Texas-built Nissan Titan can overcome that brand's notorious reliability issues, it might start to eat at Toyota's sales in particular, let alone the other three major manufacturers. For now, the jury is still out and dealers are heavy with unsold inventory in August, month 11 of the sales year. On the other hand, certain models / options are unavailable. A little work remains yet to make a dent for Nissan.

You sir are completely wrong concerning the Tundra and a unibody as it most certainly has a full length frame.

Additionally the Tundra is assembled in Texas. The Titan is assembled in Mississippi.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: turtlevette

I'd hate to spend my life driving a pickup.

Never was a "truck guy". Then I got mine, mainly with the intention of eventually getting a camper. Found out it's a comfortable cruiser, very fast, handles reasonably well, takes 5 in tons of comfort, and an all around good vehicle. Doesn't excel in anything really but a good all around vehicle. Finally "got it" as to why many are sold. If I had to have 1 vehicle I think a truck would be it.

Pretty truck vs ugly truck?

They're all boxes.

Who says you can't have other vehicles, too?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 02SE
I like the glitter and glam options on my truck. They're nice to have when heading out for some play time. I could have saved a substantial amount by going with a stripped-down work truck, but it wouldn't have provided the same experience.

A lot of envy/jealousy or whatever here. Our 14 RAM also has a few comfort and convenience options, most notably the Rambox system. It has proven to be fantastic in mixed usage. We can stow things in so many ways. Just recently vacationed at the beaches and loaded her up to the gills with 5 people and all the stuff for the boat. Then towed the boat, too.

Fantastically versatile vehicle, easy to like...

The new Ranger is a RINO; (Ranger in name only)

When they offer a stipper model (5sp standard cab 2wd, which they won't) I'll believe they've returned to the functional vehicle market.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
The new Ranger is a RINO; (Ranger in name only)

When they offer a stipper model (5sp standard cab 2wd, which they won't) I'll believe they've returned to the functional vehicle market.

You are so right! You cannot beat the old Mazda/Rangers for long life...

My most favorite vehicles I have owned were Toyota pickups or Ford pick ups. I own Two Ford pick ups now.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
Because Ford Models make sense, F150 F250...F650 no bull... and priced low because of Volume.

Then you got yuppie junk like the Honda Ridgeline.... and the [censored] "GMC" or is it a Chevy, but it's the same truck.

Ford is bringing back the Ranger to the U.S. also.

Those yuppies love their pickup trucks with the optional $7000 glitter and glam package...

As much as I can agree, since I see a ton of lifted ones around here that have never seen a speck of dirt, I can also see why people who actually use their trucks would buy one.

One of my neighbors owns his own company and spends 90% of his day driving in his truck back and forth across the state going to job sites. I like nice features in a car and I only have a 20 minute commute to work.

Pretty truck vs ugly truck?

They're all boxes.

Well, good thing there are tons of other vehicles out there for you to buy.

I like EFI, good A/C, good seats and stuff...in a pickup. Works great. I'd hate to spend my life driving carbureted old 1970s muscle cars that handle like a 1970s pickup.

OP here. Lots of information in this thread, with so many folks knowing much more about trucks than I do. To summarise in a sentence what I gleaned as to why Ford sells so many pickups - Ford trucks are well made trucks.

I last shopped for a truck in 2006 and was looking for a basic truck, 6 cyl and manual tranny. Toyota did not offer a manual, so Toyota was off my list. I read that the Mazda sourced Ford manual tranny was not very robust, so Ford was off the list. GM had what I wanted, a good tranny and a stone-axe-reliable engine, the 4.3.

I wont be in the market for another truck for a few more years. Maybe, by then I will have forgiven Ford for perpetrating the atrocious 6.0l and the 6.4l engines on the public. It still rankles me though I was not directly affected by it since I have not owned a truck with either engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back