why change oil on low mileage car consuming oil

nope, reprograming the PCM ... we got the letter in the mail last week. Quote from MyJeepCompass.com "Apparently certain conditions cause the engine to draw a vacuum that must suck oil into places it shouldn't go. The software is supposed to reprogram the engine to avoid this."

Yep. The wife wanted an impractical Mini Cooper Countryman or a oil burner Compass, neither a win win for me :(

not sure if that's a valid point about sludge ...
  • Synthetic oil does not react to temperature changes as petroleum based motor oil. Synthetic motor oil will not thicken during cold temperatures which will make engine starting and oil pressure buildup better.
  • Synthetic motor oil does not evaporate as quickly. This reduces the risk of oil sludge and replacing oil as often
  • Natural petroleum based oil motor oils will break down at high temperatures. At this high temperature oxidation can occur which will develop deposits and varnish. These also can cause sludge. Synthetic oil does not have these problems.
in 14 months i've added almost 3 qts with only 5,570 driven. Since Nov.2020, every fill-up I make sure its to the full mark.
2000 My Dodge Caravan and my 2009 Chrysler Town & Country consumed oil like this. I lived with it for a long time. Mobil 1 every oil change since new. One day I bought Castrol Edge (on sale) and gave it a try in the Town & Country (@80K miles). Oil consumption was cut in half! I used to buy two 5-quart jugs, one for the oil change and the other to top off until the next oil change. After switching to Edge, I would only use half the second jug before the next oil change.

The last change before I sold the T&C (@130K miles) was 1/2 Edge and 1/2 Supertech. Consumption went back up again. Used the rest of the supertech as top off until it sold.

just a quick update, the W20 reprogram was done roughly 10 months ago. Before I would add 1qt for every 2,000 -2,500 miles driven once it reached the "low/add" mark on the dipstick. I'm at 3,800 and just a tad above the "low/add" mark. Decided not to push it because of the crazy hot weather here in South Louisiana and added a qt. The wife is an aggressive driver, so I"m sure consumption would be way less. The update does work, but we lost about 3 mpg on the hwy, could be the new Cooper touring tires, but I doubt it. City mpg's haven't changed.

Based on my oil drinking Kia Rio, the CAT suffers from this. I would think any car consuming oil like this is going to have to change the catalytic converter sooner or later. I’m babying the Rio until next year. Hopefully it lasts.

Back