why change oil on low mileage car consuming oil

our 2018 Compass is still consuming 1 qt of oil every 2,500 miles (~ 6months). we only put about 6,000 miles a year on it and after 2 years have 13,300 on the OD. the first oil report had a TBN of 3.5 using Pennzoil Platinum 0w-20. my thoughts are to top off at 6 months and then 6 months later change filter and top off again. setting the money argument aside to just do the OCI, what conditions would degrade the oil enough to warrant yearly oil changes in a new car that consumes oil ?

Last edited:
I'd be surprised if the dealer does anything if it's only consuming a quart every 2500 miles. That is not considered excessive. I would try changing to M1 EP. I've had a few cars that would consume Pennzoil but not M1 or Motul. Just because an engine consumes oil doesn't mean it doesn't need oil changes.

I wonder if these newish cars that seem to consume excessive amounts of 0W20 would still consume if they were using a W30?

Originally Posted by NewC-05
our 2018 Compass is still consuming 1 qt of oil every 2,500 miles (~ 6months). we only put about 6,000 miles a year on it and after 2 years have 13,300 on the OD. the first oil report had a TBN of 3.5 using Pennzoil Platinum 0w-20. my thoughts are to top off at 6 months and then 6 months later change filter and top off again. setting the money argument aside to just do the OCI, what conditions would degrade the oil enough to warrant yearly oil changes in a new car that consumes oil ?

Might want to consider checking your owners manual for use of a heavier viscosity. I hated using 5W20 in my wife's Chrysler van so I switched to 5W30. On the last 9,000 mile OCI with Mobil Super Synthetic it didn't change enough on the dipstick to warrant adding any. Many of these lower viscosity ratings are for fuel mileage. I'll gladly give up a few MPG's to avoid having engine issues with low oil if I forget to check her DD.

If it's the 2.4L engine, which I believe is the only option for the 2018 Compass, you really need to involve the dealership, this is a known issue on some Tigershark engines. There's a couple class action lawsuits against FCA involving high oil consumption issues with this engine.

I would work on fixing the oil consumption.

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
I wonder if these newish cars that seem to consume excessive amounts of 0W20 would still consume if they were using a W30?

They would likely consume oil no matter what is in the sump.

Originally Posted by javacontour

1 - Warranty
2 - That is barely consumption to most manufacturers.

yes, completely acceptable usage by Jeep and not considered high consumption …
there have been reports that 5w-20 does help, but is not a listed option and may void warranty repairs.
I've read low mileage driving is bad for synthetic oil, but don't understand why. holds moisture? properties breaks down faster? holds more contaminants? if I go this route I will do a full oil change every 2 years with a test report ...

Last edited:
Originally Posted by farrarfan1
If it's the 2.4L engine, which I believe is the only option for the 2018 Compass, you really need to involve the dealership, this is a known issue on some Tigershark engines. There's a couple class action lawsuits against FCA involving high oil consumption issues with this engine.

+1

I did a quick Google search on "2018 Jeep Compass oil loss" and found numerous posts of owners losing oil within regular oil change intervals. I highly recommend going to the dealer and asking them to monitor your oil loss especially since you are still in the warranty period. Changing oil viscosity is not going to help in this case.

Good luck.

if I go this route I will do a full oil change every 2 years with a test report ...

I don't think 2 year oil changes are in the warranty plans...

How many oil changes has this 13.3k-Odometer vehicle seen?... only the (1) at ??? ...what mileage was that first one?
Run 5w30, if the manual allows it. If not, then find a thick 5w20.

Low mark ----- @ 2,500 miles on oil and OD, had dealer change oil $77
Low mark ----- @ 3,040 miles on oil with 5,540 on OD, had dealer change oil $77
¼ mark --------- @ 4,435 miles on oil with 9,975 on OD. also took a sample at 9,975 and waited until 10,889 to have dealer change oil $77
just below Low mark --- @ 2,250 on oil with 13,139 on OD. added 1qt make up oil and deciding what to do ...

dealer monitored first 3 oil changes and oil consumption and determined it did not meet the Jeep/FCA guidelines of 1qt/2,000 miles as high or excessive.
Dealer strongly suggested 5K OCI's and check oil at every fill-up.

i'm trying to maximize the OCI's as long as possible and not waste oil. It doesn't make sense to keep adding up to 2qts between oil changes and then do a full oil change that never sees 7,500 miles on the original oil...

It boggles my mind to even consider Not changing Oil over a car burning 1 quart at 2500 miles. I'd keep it topped off and change it twice a year at the 6000 miles your driving.

Ouch. Must be that Jeep quality. Seeing how 1 quart is NOT deemed excessive every 2500 miles is crazy. How can you accept that?

Originally Posted by BucDan
Ouch. Must be that Jeep quality. Seeing how 1 quart is NOT deemed excessive every 2500 miles is crazy. How can you accept that?

No doubt my 1990 Toyota 4x4 doesn't burn a drop. Lol love my yota.

Living in state of LA, I would give M1 EP 10W30 a shot. it's also summer anyway so the W doesn't really matter ...

it may not solve the problem but I would definitely do it if it was my car.
That EP is very impressive! I think someone else also suggested the EP.

If you do your own oil, Wal-Mart has M1 EP 10W30 for $24.xx /5 qt.

Back