Why Are We Still Putting Ethanol in Gasoline?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Or the diesel burned when all the D~Max, PSD, and Cummins powered trucks meet for coffee …
(Once all the illegal help has been dropped off at the farm) …

Ethanol in Gas = All about subsidy = All about ADM being the biggest freeloader in this great nation of our

It has nothing to do with farmers unfortunately.

I don't have a problem with it being used in fuel, but I do have an issue with it being mandated. I do not have a choice where I live to buy blended or non-blended fuel. If E-10 is so good for us, put it into the marketplace without any mandates or subsidies and let consumers decide. (Again, I don't have a problem with it, in general existing).

Originally Posted By: SevenBizzos
I don't have a problem with it being used in fuel, but I do have an issue with it being mandated. I do not have a choice where I live to buy blended or non-blended fuel. If E-10 is so good for us, put it into the marketplace without any mandates or subsidies and let consumers decide. (Again, I don't have a problem with it, in general existing).

Bingo!

Any good idea can stand on it's own without making it mandatory or providing subsidies.

1) Its inexpensive
2) It's non-toxic
3) It works.

Don't get me wrong, I don't like the focus on ethanol alone, which is corn-lobby driven. But alcohos (be it Methanol or Ethanol) are EXCELLENT fuel additives. Great octane boost, keep water out of the system, and once a few materials are changed in the fuel system, harmless to the vehicle. Yes, mileage goes down, but I prefer that to poorer octane boost or high toxicity from other alternative octane boosters. MTBE worked well, but was highly toxic and highly damaging to ground-water.

All the hate for ethanol is not based on science or engineering. Its based on people wrongly believing they are paying more for it or somehow getting less performance from it when in fact it provides the best cost/benefit of the available chemicals. Butanol might be better, so I'm not saying we shouldn't keep exploring options, but ethanol free gas is usually lower octane than E10 premium or else substantially more expensive (often both!).

Hopefully, this WH adm would get rid of it.
thumbsup2.gif

Isn’t it supposed to help with cold start emissions and / or emissions all through the drive cycle? Wasn’t it also supposed to be a substitute for MBTE as well? Seems those were the reasons offered for it when it was proposed...

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
1) Its inexpensive
2) It's non-toxic
3) It works.

Don't get me wrong, I don't like the focus on ethanol alone, which is corn-lobby driven. But alcohos (be it Methanol or Ethanol) are EXCELLENT fuel additives. Great octane boost, keep water out of the system, and once a few materials are changed in the fuel system, harmless to the vehicle. Yes, mileage goes down, but I prefer that to poorer octane boost or high toxicity from other alternative octane boosters. MTBE worked well, but was highly toxic and highly damaging to ground-water.

All the hate for ethanol is not based on science or engineering. Its based on people wrongly believing they are paying more for it or somehow getting less performance from it when in fact it provides the best cost/benefit of the available chemicals. Butanol might be better, so I'm not saying we shouldn't keep exploring options, but ethanol free gas is usually lower octane than E10 premium or else substantially more expensive (often both!).

Your fuel system get much more corrosion with ethanol in the tank, plus it uses more energy (corn) in USA to make ethanol than it gets back, so what is the point? We are not in Brazil (sugar cane) and we shouldn't use a Brazilian fuel spec.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back