Why are we still living in the "dark ages?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Regarding the 3 month and 3000 mile oil change interval that 90% of motorists seem to swear by? I work in a independent quick lube shop and most of our customers return right at or a few hundred to a few thousand miles before the 3k mark to get their oil dropped and replaced. Many oil life monitors I read often have between 50 and 70 percent left when I go to reset them.
Face it, the 3k change interval hasn't really been necessary since the 70's because oils have improved a TON since then. And in the other corner we have commercial truck drivers who will run between 10 to 50 thousand miles on a single oil change. Many of them running conventional weights of 15w-40 Rotella and other name brands. Surely a big semi abuses oil twice as hard as any passenger vehicle, gas or diesel considering they haul up to 100k+ pounds of weight for thousands of miles in all types of conditions. Many trucks spend several hours sitting and idling while the driver rests in the sleeper. These guys must be periodically changing oil filters and topping off, correct? The engines in big trucks last well beyond the million mile mark before needing an overhaul/replacement it seems so extended OCI's can't be all that bad, can it?
Not trying to sound like a newb, but if someone could enlighten me on why the majority of people are still so hung up on the 3 month/3k oil change in vehicles that can't possibly be wearing out oil that fast. The most you'd really need to do is change your oil filter, top off and keep going just like the big rigs do.

For the record, I run 7500k intervals on Amsoil XL 5w-30 in my 2004 Toyota Tacoma and 5000k intervals on Rotella T 15w-40 in my 1997 Ford F-250 Powerstroke diesel. Am I wasting my oil life as well? Each vehicle the oil comes out still looking good. It's darker than it was new obviously, but still an amber color that can be seen through on the dipstick or when held to the light. None of my oil comes out black as tar, ever, it still looks good enough to keep running!
This is just something I've been mulling over at work the past couple days and I had to get it out to see what my fellow BITOG'ers had to say.

It is a habit of ignorance. Creates much waste, and fraud.

When a man changes his oil shall not be questioned.

Although Amsoil is popular here, I really question why people would spend the extra money on it. Even if it's as good as they say, the alternatives are cheaper. It looks like it costs 2x or 3x as much as regular oil, but do you get 2x or 3x the value out of it? Like you said, just changing the oil regularly is enough not to cause your engine to crater so spending top dollar on a boutique oil is the same as changing your oil every 3k. You can get a 5 quart jug of Mobil 1 at Walmart for $22.88 and with their $12 rebate, it's $10.88. Amazon has the same price if Walmart isn't close.

It's called business 101. Convince the public they need something they really don't. Look at the starbucks drive thru every morning.

Two reasons why it is not that bad:

1- Many newer cars are turbo'd or DI based, which tends to be harder on oil. While the oil may be better, it is still beating down the oil...

2- Unlike many things, oil changes are cheap insurance for your car. Better too many changes than not enough. While it is a waste of money, the engine at least will always be protected.....

This wasn't really meant to be an oil vs. oil question. I'm not loyal to any brand, I've just been trying different ones to see which my Tacoma performs best on. Amsoil Signature Series, Valvoline Synpower and Castrol SLX are coming in the future.. So far the Tacoma's been the happiest on Pennzoil Platinum and the Amsoil XL so we'll see what the others have to offer.

Although I haven't switched from the Rotella in the Powerstroke since I've had it. That truck doesn't get driven enough to really make a difference. Oil only gets changed once a year on that one. But if I decide to upgrade it I will probably go with T6 full synthetic simply because it will make winter startups here in Montana MUCH easier! That ole 15w-40 is like cold honey below 20 degrees haha.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Although Amsoil is popular here, I really question why people would spend the extra money on it. Even if it's as good as they say, the alternatives are cheaper. It looks like it costs 2x or 3x as much as regular oil, but do you get 2x or 3x the value out of it? Like you said, just changing the oil regularly is enough not to cause your engine to crater so spending top dollar on a boutique oil is the same as changing your oil every 3k. You can get a 5 quart jug of Mobil 1 at Walmart for $22.88 and with their $12 rebate, it's $10.88. Amazon has the same price if Walmart isn't close.
I meant to respond to you with my previous post. But I can actually currently get Amsoil cheaper than M1, PP or the other synthetics at the parts store. $7 a quart for the Amsoil and it's between $9-12 for the others here. Only thing I hate about Amsoil is having to wait for it to get here and it can't be bought in stores. I ordered an extra quart with this batch just in case. My truck doesn't use or leak oil but having one extra on hand is just a good idea.

Truck driver change oil from every month (team)to every 2 month (solo)thts the maximum for highway truck.for car ? Where do you live ? In uk? Every season. In dubai ? Once a year. In canada twice a year.this is for on road. not offroad

Originally Posted By: yvon_la
Truck driver change oil from every month (team)to every 2 month (solo)thts the maximum for highway truck.for car ? Where do you live ? In uk? Every season. In dubai ? Once a year. In canada twice a year.this is for on road. not offroad

Actually some newer trucks have a 50,000 mile change interval on conventional.
44,000 miles with 22,000 mile filter changes on conventional was done by a major fleet 25 years ago.
I use Donaldson Extended Drain filters and Shell T6 5W40 for 60,000 mile drains on my trucks.

Considering those trucks hold 10+ gallons Im not sure how that relates to a pickup though.

Last edited:
Must be a regional thing. I worked at a garage in high school 10 years ago and we put 5000 miles on the stickers using bulk 5w30. Unless the engine had a carb on it. Then 3k. I don't know of a single person or shop that uses 3000 mile intervals currently. Most of my friends that pay for oil changes have stickers stating 5000-7500 miles. My 95 Accord has a owners manual full of 7500 mile oil changes starting from day one at a local garage.

I thought even the lowest of the low would use 3,000 but I saw this when I check the Jiffy Lube site;

Times have changed. Vehicle technology has advanced.

Manufacturer recommendations vary. Driving conditions vary.

At Jiffy Lube, we know that the standard 3,000 mile oil change reminder does not work for everyone.

Your Voice Your Choice. What does that mean?

When you choose Jiffy Lube to service your vehicle, we will review with you the oil change recommendation from your vehicle manufacturer as well as the driving conditions you typically experience. Armed with that information, YOU TELL US what mileage interval you want on your Jiffy Lube reminder sticker.

Originally Posted By: jongies3
Regarding the 3 month and 3000 mile oil change interval.............Face it, the 3k change interval hasn't really been necessary since the 70's because oils have improved a TON since then.......

The single biggest reason OCIs can be extended in today's vehicles is because of modern fuel injection systems.

Scott

Originally Posted By: Gasbuggy
Must be a regional thing. I worked at a garage in high school 10 years ago and we put 5000 miles on the stickers using bulk 5w30. Unless the engine had a carb on it. Then 3k. I don't know of a single person or shop that uses 3000 mile intervals currently. Most of my friends that pay for oil changes have stickers stating 5000-7500 miles. My 95 Accord has a owners manual full of 7500 mile oil changes starting from day one at a local garage.

I thought even the lowest of the low would use 3,000 but I saw this when I check the Jiffy Lube site;

Times have changed. Vehicle technology has advanced.

Manufacturer recommendations vary. Driving conditions vary.

At Jiffy Lube, we know that the standard 3,000 mile oil change reminder does not work for everyone.

Your Voice Your Choice. What does that mean?

When you choose Jiffy Lube to service your vehicle, we will review with you the oil change recommendation from your vehicle manufacturer as well as the driving conditions you typically experience. Armed with that information, YOU TELL US what mileage interval you want on your Jiffy Lube reminder sticker.

Every dealer and quickie lube around tells you 3k. They want your money, thats all it is. They know oci's are a lot longer these days

The local Ford Dealers put 5000 miles on the stickers. I actually prefer that as I think 7500 miles could be to long for some people if the OLM is accidentally reset.

Originally Posted By: Gasbuggy
... I worked at a garage in high school 10 years ago and we put 5000 miles on the stickers using bulk 5w30. Unless the engine had a carb on it. Then 3k. ...
That "3k" made no sense, except as a way to increase business. Car manufacturers suggested oil change intervals at least twice that long for carbureted engines several decades before that. For my '81 Mazda, 7500 miles. I typically changed oil at around 6000. It went over 600K with remarkably little evidence of wear or other problems that could be blamed on engine oil. How changing oil twice as often would've been any better isn't clear.

The local Ford garage put a sticker for 3 months/3000 miles on my Buick, fwiw. And they didn't reset the OLM %.

If you have seen the insides of engines that didn't have their oil changes often enough as compared to engines that had their oil changed on schedule or too often there is a difference . Too soon a waste of money, too long a waste of engine. Driving a 100 mile per day commute will require a different oil change interval as compared to driving 1 mile to work and driving 1 mile home.

We're not living in the dark ages here...dealers and independents simply use the manufacturers recommendations. Most people in Australia would now own cars that are serviced every 12 months or 15,000km. Toyota are about the only ones that still require 6 month or 7,500km services whilst under warranty, which is just ridiculous. As soon as my dad's Corolla was out of warranty, I changed the intervals to 12 months. 5 years later, it's still going along just fine!

For a long time, I used to formulate oils for a living. For every new iteration of the oil specifications, be they American or European, the tests become more numerous, more complicated and ever harder to pass and you need increasing amounts of expensive additives and better quality base oil.

Given the level of blood, sweat and tears (not to mention the gargantuan amounts of cash) that get poured into developing oils, I always used to weep when I saw the fruits our our collective labours thrown away after 3,000 miles!

It's like spending years creating the most delicious bottle of wine, then watching someone open the bottle, drink a couple of glasses and then pour the rest down the sink! I often used to muse that some clever entrepreneur might make his fortune by collecting all the oil that Americans prematurely throw away, recanning it and exporting it to the Developing World where it good for at least another 6,000 miles of use!

Last edited:
GrandDaddy used to do 3k OCIs, and Pops still does his 3k OCIs, and I'm not a mechanic but I know they never had an engine blow up so I'll do what they did.

The industry has no incentive to educate the public because profit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back