Why are there so many AWD cars now?

The vast majority of Mazda and Subaru’s lineup are AWD now, and most of the used Lexuses I’ve been seeing are as well. It seems like there are a lot more full-time AWD vehicles than just a decade ago. Are these appealing to people who drive in the snow a lot? It just seems like you are paying extra for something else to go wrong. At least on my wife’s RAV4 you can turn it off when you don’t need it but that’s not the case with most I’ve seen. I read somewhere that many of the systems can’t tolerate even a small tire diameter mismatch, so if you damage a tire you have to replace the entire set?

I must officially be an old curmudgeon now because I want nothing to do with AWD vehicles other than a true 4x4 truck, and that’s not as a daily driver.
AWD is alot more compact, doesn't consume as much fuel as it previously did and works significantly better than before.

I've owned 4x4's since 1968. Currently have AWD and 4x4. No excuse getting stuck here.

It doesn't help that the car reviewers whine like babies if a car isn't AWD. Consumer Report's on YouTube is the worst.
My daily driver is RWD, and so is the one in the garage. According to Consumer Reports I shouldn’t be allowed to drive on the same roads as everyone else

AWD is a good middle of the road option. Something like a Forester with a little extra ground clearance would fit my daily driving needs perfectly.

Rwd is the most fun, 4x4 for adverse conditions, fwd for small efficient cars. AWD is for people who think normal cars can't handle normal conditions (rain, light snow, gravel roads)

How many times do you think it should happen before you consider it a problem? I‘ve certainly had to replace more than one individual tire in my life.
I don't consider it to be a problem, and I've had to do so on the Subaru I owned. Once in 15 years of ownership was not a problem, just an inconvenience.

They are not the same thing. One does not replace the other.
Why are you opposed to me being able to own the type of vehicle that I want? Why do you care that I don’t want an AWD car?

I asked a legitimate question and that guy responded with an insult.

The vast majority of Mazda and Subaru’s lineup are AWD now, and most of the used Lexuses I’ve been seeing are as well. It seems like there are a lot more full-time AWD vehicles than just a decade ago. Are these appealing to people who drive in the snow a lot? It just seems like you are paying extra for something else to go wrong. At least on my wife’s RAV4 you can turn it off when you don’t need it but that’s not the case with most I’ve seen. I read somewhere that many of the systems can’t tolerate even a small tire diameter mismatch, so if you damage a tire you have to replace the entire set?

I must officially be an old curmudgeon now because I want nothing to do with AWD vehicles other than a true 4x4 truck, and that’s not as a daily driver.

Our last car was a 2.0 EB Ford Escape, and jeez you could spin those front wheels so easily with the junk stock tires. Lots of wheel hop too. A common upgrade was to swap the rear motor mount with the one from the Ford Focus Electric, and of course much better tires

After that, we vowed to always have AWD! Seems like on wet city streets, AWD is the way to go.

They are not the same thing. One does not replace the other.
One can replace the other. I've seen plenty of can-ams destroyed on dirt roads, and I've also seen old civics go down the same roads without an issue. I'd say the driver is what affects the capability of the car more than anything else, and safety systems and AWD are there to compensate for your bad driving (or protect you from the idiots on their phones)

It is cool to break traction in a Subaru WRX while on the on ramp to a highway... that awd kicks in and instead of skidding off, you regain traction while fully on the gas pedal!!!!

I’ve done just fine driving without AWD since 1980. I have found that good driving skills lessen the need for technological crutches. YMMV.
Where do you live?

Last winter, after ~7-8” of snow, my Tacoma on Nokian Outpost ATs did fine in 4hi. My CR-V with AWD and Nokian Rotiiva ATs did fine. My FWD CX5 with Blizzacks could not pull itself through.

AWD is not a gimmick. It’s true that most people don’t absolutely need it, but it’s also true that there are conditions where AWD will allow you to go where 2WD will not. It really depends on where you drive.

Last edited:
Why are you opposed to me being able to own the type of vehicle that I want? Why do you care that I don’t want an AWD car?
I'm not, and I don't. Why would I? Where are you getting this from? You can own and drive whatever the heck you want.

My point was this major drawback of AWD car ownership is not the big problem you make it out to be. But whatever.

One can replace the other. I've seen plenty of can-ams destroyed on dirt roads, and I've also seen old civics go down the same roads without an issue. I'd say the driver is what affects the capability of the car more than anything else, and safety systems and AWD are there to compensate for your bad driving (or protect you from the idiots on their phones)

Although cautious and careful driving can mitigate risk, driver skill cannot replace traction for a wheel(s) that can not get it/ do not have it.

Real world example - retrieving a boat at low tide.
No amount of skill can pull a heavy boat up a mossy wet slick ramp using only the rear wheels sitting in the water.

Back