Is there such a thing as an unreliable U.S. new car today?

Someone posted recently that a low mileage Subaru had it's CVT transmission, fail early, with very low miles. They actually said that the reason it failed was because it had a bearing that failed. I'm sure it was covered under warranty but still it didn't last long initially.

Someone posted recently that a low mileage Subaru had it's CVT transmission, fail early, with very low miles. They actually said that the reason it failed was because it had a bearing that failed. I'm sure it was covered under warranty but still it didn't last long initially.
That was me. Car saw a lot of what I consider severe service - cold, short trips, accelerating too fast before warm up. No CVT fluid change over 4 years. The JATCO CVTs are the problems, but even beyond that, the fluid has to be changed more frequently. Honda recommends every 30k and they don't have issues with their CVTs.

What's the issue with dual clutch transmissions?
Not sure about the exact detail, but the dry dual clutch transmissions burn up much more frequently. Most likely due to not having ATF to cool or absorb the shock of engage / disengage and put much higher stress on the clutch material and plates.

I have a 2013 Ford Focus, 260k miles on it, stick. A few irritating things, but, overall, it's worked well. The Focus might still be around today if it wasn't for huge problems with their DCT.

After Ford stopped selling the Focus in the US, they switched back to a regular torque converter automatic :sneaky:

People are bringing up Fiat, but they do t sell new cars in the USA that I know of.
Here's a dealership in KC.

As mentioned in my original post. Our Jeep Compass which made everyone's list of a vehicle not to own performed flawlessly for >100 k miles now. Same personnel drove the fleet of 4X4 domestic pickup trucks in the same terrain and had significantly more problems.

I don't know what to think.

As mentioned in my original post. Our Jeep Compass which made everyone's list of a vehicle not to own performed flawlessly for >100 k miles now. Same personnel drove the fleet of 4X4 domestic pickup trucks in the same terrain and had significantly more problems.

I don't know what to think.
I’ve had the same experience with Nissan Rogues and Altimas. I was told they are terrible, yet I’ve had 4 trouble free units and there are 3 more trouble free units in the family. Now sure how we got the good ones….

I’ve had the same experience with Nissan Rogues and Altimas. I was told they are terrible, yet I’ve had 4 trouble free units and there are 3 more trouble free units in the family. Now sure how we got the good ones….
I guess there's outliers in every poorly rated brand.

Conversely, I personally never knew anyone with a newer low mileage Honda or Toyota that was problematic.

KIA SUVs still have engines that blow up?
Last I knew anyway, happened to my brothers incredibly well cared for 2018 ish Sorrento.
Went into limp mode on a trip, then game over. Known issue at the time.

Back