Why all of the goofy marketing ploys by M1?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Zee09
Originally Posted By: grampi
They keep coming up with all of these marketing ploys...this oil's good for a year, this oil's good for 20K miles, and such and such. As far as I'm concerned, ALL full synthetic oils should be good for a year or 20K miles, and they have been for a long time. I like M1 and I use it, but I just don't get all of their goofy marketing ploys...

I really think 10k is pushing it even on cars that are known to be easy on oil.
I run 10k on mine but at 8500 miles I think the oil is starting to degrade even in my hybrids. I would say very few cars would be easy enough on oil to hit 20 k.

Your wrong about 10K OCIs for the most part. I know guys that run 15-20K with Reg M1 and put 300+K on their engines with success. I've been doin 10K for 40 years in various types of engines in all types of conditions.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Malo83
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Goofy? How about some of the stupid ads from Castrol over the years?

Smart molecues
lol.gif

Would you buy oil with stupid molecules?
cool.gif

Grampi, it’s ALL about marketing. Even for stuff that shouldn’t need marketing. Diageo, makers of Captain Morgan, Smirnoff, and several other brands, has a North American marketing budget of $750 MILLION dollars. We are one of their largest suppliers of glass containers, and their total business with us is only about $50M in glass bottles (and the bottles are the most expensive part of the finished product, usually about 3-5 times the cost of the liquor inside).. Kinda crazy to me to have advertising at that much of a disparity to product price. You can make and sell your product without a 1500% overhead I’m sure. I’d imagine Mobil likewise spends an inordinate amount more on advertising than on the actual product.

Originally Posted By: tig1
They keep coming up with all of these marketing ploys...this oil's good for a year, this oil's good for 20K miles, and such and such. As far as I'm concerned, ALL full synthetic oils should be good for a year or 20K miles, and they have been for a long time. I like M1 and I use it, but I just don't get all of their goofy marketing ploys...

I run 10k on mine but at 8500 miles I think the oil is starting to degrade even in my hybrids. I would say very few cars would be easy enough on oil to hit 20 k.

Your wrong about 10K OCIs for the most part. I know guys that run 15-20K with Reg M1 and put 300+K on their engines with success. I've been doin 10K for 40 years in various types of engines in all types of conditions.

No I'm not. You can't make an assumption that it is safe to do so. I run 10k too.
Did you ever think you and your buddies could go far longer if you didn't push the oil?? Our fleet of GM trucks always got 300 k to 400k miles but if we took care of them they'd probably double that. Who knows?
You aren't the only M1 user from the early days. I used it when it first came to market and I dumped it because of many reasons. Noise and excessive consumption being a few. My point is not all cars are candidates for long OCI's no matter the oil used!

I just don't get all of their goofy marketing ploys...
Some of us can read through the bull, but the scheme must be working well with the general public since they continue at it.

Originally Posted By: CT8

Smart molecues
lol.gif

cool.gif

Only if it's a nice blonde color, and looks really good out of the bottle.

So all syn labeled oils should be good for a year and 20K?
I kinda doubt this.
FYI, M1 warrants all of its oils for at least a year or 10K.
Are the many and varied M1 flavors merely marketing ploys, as you put it, or do they really perform differently?
In my experience, AFE and HM are as similar as chalk and cheese, for example, but your experience may be different. IMO, you can't go wrong in selecting M1 in the grade and spec that suits your car, but there are other oils that would likely do just as well from SOPUS, Valvoline and Castrol as well as others.
It's all in the basestock blend selected as well as the add pack and the gods lie in the details, not the obvious stuff seen in a VOA/UOA.

Originally Posted By: tig1

No I'm not. You can't make an assumption that it is safe to do so. I run 10k too.
Did you ever think you and your buddies could go far longer if you didn't push the oil?? Our fleet of GM trucks always got 300 k to 400k miles but if we took care of them they'd probably double that. Who knows?
You aren't the only M1 user from the early days. I used it when it first came to market and I dumped it because of many reasons. Noise and excessive consumption being a few. My point is not all cars are candidates for long OCI's no matter the oil used!

Read more carefully. I said "for the most part". There's always exceptions, but I have never personally seen one with my engines ard the several family and friends I know that use M1 oils.

Last edited:
The ad campaign that sets my teeth on edge is for some auto insurance company. The mom is thankful that her insurance sent someone to change her useless sons flat while two other loser teenagers are stranded and don't know how to change a tire. This ad just highlights that we have a generation of idiots turning into adults right now.

Originally Posted By: SirTanon
Originally Posted By: CT8

Smart molecues
lol.gif

cool.gif

Only if it's a nice blonde color, and looks really good out of the bottle.

Those would be hot molecules, wouldn't they?

Originally Posted By: sloinker
The ad campaign that sets my teeth on edge is for some auto insurance company. The mom is thankful that her insurance sent someone to change her useless sons flat while two other loser teenagers are stranded and don't know how to change a tire. This ad just highlights that we have a generation of idiots turning into adults right now.

Sad but true
crazy2.gif

Whimsey

Originally Posted By: sloinker

LOL I know plenty of older and middle-aged idiots, it's not just young adults by the way. Who do you think raised the younger idiots?

So what, you are more into Pennzoil smoking tires across the BITOG banner … but not willing to put miles on the table like Castrol, Mobil or even some filter companies will do?

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
As far as I'm concerned, ALL full synthetic oils should be good for a year or 20K miles, and they have been for a long time.
This has many variables and it cannot be a blanket statement for all vehicles/operating conditions. Of course, I know you know that, I am highlighting it for the unknowing who may come on here and read this and assume that it is true for every case.

PSD: you were pretty kind with that reply and know it … there are some power dense and complex engines coming out left and right and that statement is far too broad brushed …
As for M1 AP … everywhere I go it appears to have boosted M1 EP sales …
The US spent too many years hung up on 3k/3 mos … just the other day I watched Walmart clerk try to push 3 mos on a guy running PP … hard to move enough buyers all the way to 20k …

Why all of the goofy marketing ploys by M1.............because they know it works.

Look how many on here swear by it, won't use anything else, have no qualms about using it, yet it has been proven time and time again there is nothing "PREMIUM" or "Superior" about it..............except the price.
12.gif

Originally Posted By: irv
Why all of the goofy marketing ploys by M1.............because they know it works.

Look how many on here swear by it, won't use anything else, have no qualms about using it, yet it has been proven time and time again there is nothing "PREMIUM" or "Superior" about it..............except the price.
12.gif

There are many good synthetics on the market now. The quality gap has closed significantly. For decades, the only synthetic readily available that was top tier was Mobil 1, maybe Castrol Syntec as well. Amsoil was always good but mail order only. Since the demand for synthetics has increased significantly, the major oil companies and formulators now offer 3 tiers or so of synthetic oil. It's unfortunate that Mobil hopped on the multi-tier bandwagon and has made a bit of a mess of their oil line, but it's not surprising.

I'd say there are still some areas where Mobil 1 is superior - 1. Usually ahead of the formulation curve by using the latest in additive technology as shown via meeting SN + 7 years ahead of the rest. 2. High temperature turbo deposit and oxidation control where only M1 met HTO-06; no oxidative thickening in their long drain oils. 3. Other than Castrol Edge EP, one of the few brands to offer a long drain (15k and 20k) oil that actually meets all API and dexos specs including SA.

You can't go wrong with any oil from Shell, Valvoline, Castrol or Mobil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back