Who thought $2 gas would last?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: MONKEYMAN
If it goes up high enough then people will start dumping gas guzzler vehicles. I always buy the vehicle with best fuel efficiency I can afford. I just ride the wave.

I hope to pick up one of those gas guzzlers cheap. Maybe a 3/4 ton with 6+ liter gas engine.
banana2.gif

Nationally, $2 gas never was really a thing. It was that low for literally about 2 months at the end of 2015 into 2016. For the next two years, the average was more like $2.25 nationally. On top of that, gas was just slightly lower than this back in September of 2017.

Cyclically, gas prices tend to increase through memorial day. No surprise here in the trend.

The thing that bothers me is the $0.50/galllon extra you pay for premium fuel. That is a new. It was $0.25-$0.30 but that jump is massive. My MDX getting 19MPG requires it. Ugh....

A requirement of my wife’s new car was no premium and decent fuel efficiency. She used to get 23MPG with premium in her turbo Subaru.

Currently around here:

87 octane... $2.25
89 octane... $2.75
93 octane... $3.50

and going up

Originally Posted By: madRiver
The thing that bothers me is the $0.50/galllon extra you pay for premium fuel. That is a new. It was $0.25-$0.30 but that jump is massive. My MDX getting 19MPG requires it. Ugh....

A requirement of my wife’s new car was no premium and decent fuel efficiency. She used to get 23MPG with premium in her turbo Subaru.

and all the automakers are pushing for Premium(95RON - roughly 93R+M/2) to be the new regular...basically bring the US Fuel on par with European/AUS/Etc.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
I wish it was only $3/gallon here.

Yeah, me too. Most of the places around me are 3.59 - 3.79. Four dollars a gallon here we come. But of course some of that has to do with our so called Governor raising the tax on gasoline. Cross the border into Arizona and it's .80 - 1.00 a gallon cheaper.

No matter what gas costs, it’s wise to buy the most fuel efficient vehicle in the category you’re looking in. Let’s face it; any money you use to buy gas is money burned, never to be seen again. I drive an EB F150 because when I bought it I was commuting in Houston, Tx. If you don’t have a large vehicle there, you’re gonna a get yourself killed, as they say in the John Wayne movies. Retired, little to no traffic, my next purchase will be way more fuel efficient.....

Part of the price jump may be associated with the fire last week at Valero's Texas City refinery. Valero is the largest refinery in US.

Originally Posted By: grampi
I knew it wouldn't, but many people said we will see $2 gas for years to come. Nope, prices are on the rise again, and no doubt heading back $3+. Just like prices tanked when OPEC flooded the market with crude, prices are now going up due to a roll back in production. Now, who was it that said the industry doesn't control prices?

I'm not sure what you're looking at, but what I'm seeing is a fairly normal spring price increase caused by the switch to more expensive to blend lower RVP fuel as well as the usual seasonal refinery shutdowns for maintenance.
Four years ago, we would have considered current prices a bargain.
This is also not a matter of anyone manipulating supply to control retail pricing.
There are too many crude producers as well as too many refiners worldwide to make this even remotely likely.
Both crude and refined product are easily shipped from any port A to any port B via the huge fleet of tankers plying the oceans of the world.

Originally Posted By: madRiver

Did you know the MDX required premium gas before you bought it ?

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
Originally Posted By: bigjl
There is no way it could last.

In the UK petrol is over $6.00 for a US Gallon at the moment at my nearest Costco.

Some other petrol stations have it closer to $6.50 or even more depending on location.

No doubt there will be places where it costs close to $7.00 for a US Gallon.

I believe it is over $10 a gallon in Norway as it pays for their health insurance- well that is what
my customers tell me.
Yes the tax pay for the FREE health insurance.

OPEC has more control of crude oil pricing than any other entity, but that control has been severely eroded.

OPEC does not consist of the enire petroleum industry, and most OPEC members are national oil companies. OPEC can rarely obtain consensus among its membership these days, or control production from its own individual members regarding production quotas. To obtain such a collusion agreement throughout the global petroleum industry would be a near impossible job of cat herding.

Note neither the USA nor Canada are members of OPEC, nor do the USA or Canada have national oil companies. We enjoy a more competitive market when it comes to petroleum than much of the rest of the globe.

gas prices here just jumped

The one BP station by me was
2.69, 3.19 3.49

but generally its 25 or 30cents between grades with 87 89 and 93 being the most common
except at speedway where they have 92(not 93)

Originally Posted By: JC1
Consider yourself lucky that you pay under $3 for a gallon of gas. Your northern neighbors get fleeced by what we pay.

Right now a gallon converted to USD IS $3.98. May be a bit cheaper when you buy at Costco or at night when gas prices gonna down 12 cents per liter.

People in UK and Europe pay much more. If electric cars were cheaper, I'd make the switch.
You gas prices aren't high. Your taxes are high.

Originally Posted by grampi
I knew it wouldn't, but many people said we will see $2 gas for years to come. Nope, prices are on the rise again, and no doubt heading back $3+. Just like prices tanked when OPEC flooded the market with crude, prices are now going up due to a roll back in production. Now, who was it that said the industry doesn't control prices?

Gramps...the industry doesn't control prices....the market does. Supply and demand....other than what the Saudi's can do, it's pretty much supply and demand. What most people don't understand is, with oil, the long development time from initial drilling to final delivery only makes predicting future prices even harder to do. It's a commodity and as such, it's going to have wild price swings.

The $26 a barallel was never going to last. Just take a look at all the bankruptcies in North Dakota just after that period.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back