Old gas in 2024

So here we are at the end of the boating season. I did not use my boat as much as I had hoped and there is treated gas in the gas tank that is doubtful I will use by the end of the season this year. I think most of the gas in the tank was purchased and treated in 2022.

I believe it's around 50 gallons.

I really don't want fuel injector problems next summer.

Not really concerned with the value of the gas in the tank.

Things I have thought of:

1) do nothing
2) add more fuel stabilizer.
3) buy ten 5 gallon gas containers plus $100 electric and pump until empty. Use the fuel in my Subaru Crosstrek.
4) hire a company to pump & dispose of it
5) list "free gas" on CL and maybe find someone who will take the gas and has an electric pump.

What I won't
1) pump 50 gallons with a $10 HF hand pump
2) pump into 5 gallon buckets and let it evaporate.

The gas is in Milford DE if someone wants the free gas.

Just this morning I put some old gas, purchased in 2019 in my motorcycle. The tank was nearly empty (had last years gas in it) and I added about a gallon and a half.
It ran fine.

What happens if you leave it in? Presumably it'll go bad... but if you drain it, doesn't what is left behind go bad too? Is that ok, as it gets quickly absorbed into a new batch of fuel?

Is there no way to safely seal this fuel system off, so that gas can sit in it for the winter? It's out of the sun, and if it can't evaporate off, then is likely to go bad?

I'd go option #3. Dilute it with fresh fuel in the tank of the car until it is gone.
So the gas cans are about $20 each and an electric pump is $100. So $300 total.

The Crosstrek is a 2021 I think. I hate to put old gas in it. My pickup is a diesel. I burn about 5 gal/year in lawn mower. No old 1970 farm pickup to dump the gas in.

Just this morning I put some old gas, purchased in 2019 in my motorcycle. The tank was nearly empty (had last years gas in it) and I added about a gallon and a half.
It ran fine.
I have had enough problems and delays with this boat. Some were my fault. So came with the boat when I bought it used.

I would really just like to snap my fingers and have the gas disappear and start with fresh gas next spring.

So the gas cans are about $20 each and an electric pump is $100. So $300 total.

The Crosstrek is a 2021 I think. I hate to put old gas in it. My pickup is a diesel. I burn about 5 gal/year in lawn mower. No old 1970 farm pickup to dump the gas in.

I'd probably see if I could borrow a pump somewhere, and see if I could borrow and/or find some appropriate used fuel storage cans on the cheap.
Obviously, purchasing all that would negate any savings from trying to recycle the fuel, unless this becomes a "Rinse/Repeat" operation every year.
I've done a version of this before with old OPE fuel in my pickup. Always make sure that it is diluted with plenty of fresh fuel. Never an issue.

I'm not a boater and I do not know the details / logistics of your storage place but I am a fan of running seasonal gas tanks empty.

Maybe a wee bit of some kind of lube (MMO?) at the very end so there's a benign coating left behind.

I would add marine fuel stabilizer and run the engine until the lines and injectors are full of treated fuel. In addition, possibly the boat places has a solution for this oversight. I'm sure you are not the only one who has this problem. Ed

I'd do nothing. 2022 gas is fine for a few years, especially if treated. But for less then $10 with discount you can get this electric pump. Will fill up a 5 gallon gas can in under 5 minutes. Dump the gas in your car and repeat every few days or weeks.

How big is your cars gas tank?

My 82 suburban held 42 gallons and my fathers motor home 100 gallons.

If you visit the boat often anyway make sure your empty, fill up the car and take some back in a 5 gallon can for snow blowing .

That should reduce how much is left quickly, if a few gallons are left mixing it with fresh fuel usually neutralizes tarnish.

I can't speak to a boat. However-I have use Sta-Bil fuel stabilizer very year for the past 12 years storing my lawn mower and snow blower as the seasons change. Not a single issue.

In another situation we stored my wife's Subaru (at the time) for 7 months and used fuel stabilizer and also had zero issues.

How big is your cars gas tank?

My 82 suburban held 42 gallons and my fathers motor home 100 gallons.

If you visit the boat often anyway make sure your empty, fill up the car and take some back in a 5 gallon can for snow blowing .

That should reduce how much is left quickly, if a few gallons are left mixing it with fresh fuel usually neutralizes tarnish.
Well wife's Crosstrek has a 15 gallon gas tank. The building where the boats are stored is closed to customers Thanksgiving to April 1.

Some of the gas may be older than 2022. Could be 2020 or 2021. Between trying to remember when I bought gas and what prior owner told me I am just not sure.

Some of the gas may be older than 2022. Could be 2020 or 2021. Between trying to remember when I bought gas and what prior owner told me I am just not sure.
I've ran cars on 8 year old gas with no problem but that's in a well sealed fuel system. Not sure about boats and their emission control requirements.

Back