Who Has The Oldest Daily Driver?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My daily is my 1994 Honda Shadow 1100.

Not the oldest daily vehicle, but maybe the oldest daily motorcycle?

I am the 3rd owner (technically 4th, but the 3rd owner did not title/register it in his name).

Original owner bought it new in '94, rode it for 3 years, got sick and passed away.
His son registered it in his name in '07 and got it running again, rode it a few times.
It sat in his garage for 10 years till he sold i to the guy I bought it from (his buys, fixes and sells bike on the side).

Bike is more than presentable, looks amazing for being 25 years old (and only 13,000 miles).
[Linked Image]

My secondary ride is my 2002 F150, not old by many here, but if you ask people I work with, they act like it is from the 70's or something, they can't believe I drive something so old (yet forget my bike is 8 years older than the truck, but the truck looks bad).

Originally Posted by Garak
In taxi use, plenty of interior and door components had to be replaced. People loved yanking the door straps off, for starters.
wink.gif

Driving with the windows down I started getting foam from above the sagging headliner in my eyes so I ripped the whole thing out on my lunch break once and then scraped all the foam off.

I have to tighten my door handles at least once a year. My driver's seat belt is starting to fray, but the seats and carpet is still almost like new.

I'm surprised the headliner lasted as long as it did for you. That is pretty good. The door straps were the worst, and the whole handle assembly could wind up with stripped screws, too. The carpets were a weak spot in the taxis for obvious reasons, so we used a lot of changeable floor mats, just little pieces of rug that would be switched out daily if needed for cleaning and drying. On a taxi, you would always see the brake pedal worn through.

Originally Posted by Garak
I'm surprised the headliner lasted as long as it did for you. That is pretty good. The door straps were the worst, and the whole handle assembly could wind up with stripped screws, too. The carpets were a weak spot in the taxis for obvious reasons, so we used a lot of changeable floor mats, just little pieces of rug that would be switched out daily if needed for cleaning and drying. On a taxi, you would always see the brake pedal worn through.

My biggest problems lately are the windshield wipers already on a toggle switch because they would fail to stop, are now only running on high speed so I need to replace the wiper motor because the logic board is fried in mine. I have one in my parts car so it will be a free repair as long as that wiper motor is good still.

Yes, I can believe that. We did have occasional problems with that, but fairly uncommon given the early timeframe. The cabs ran up a lot of mileage quickly. A couple motors were replaced, a couple washer pumps, and plenty of switches. I've only seen one that had to be jimmied with a toggle switch, but that wasn't on a taxi, and now yours.

The best part about your car is like new lighting performance (even better than new) by going to by some halogen sealed beams. No $200 to $2000 assemblies, no polishing, no toothpaste, DEET, clearcoat, or whatever else has to be done.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back