Which Synthetic Oil Do You Use, And Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
SuperTech because I like the information (spec sheets) that Warren Distribution provided to me and saving $10 per OC. This from a 40 year M1 user. Vehicles run smoother, quieter and better MPG than M1. Daughter likes it better in her Fusion too. Warren is very open with the information they provide.

M1, PP, some CVX or Penn in semi synthetic …
Gear oil of choice is Delvac 1
Prefer VI companies

I usually use whatever is oldest in my stash.
I can't really say I've ever noticed any difference while using different brands.

I currently have Castrol (Magnatec) in my car....Valvoline made (Napa syn.) in my wife's....and in my children's cars I have QSUD and Havoline syn. at the moment....

Pp and qsud because it runs smooth and silent in everything you use it in. Cheap and it's sold everywhere.

I started using flavors of M1 5W30 a while back because VOAs indicated that they had additive packs that looked likely to help minimize LSPI in my DIT engine...felt pretty smart after my car was recalled for LSPI by Subaru.
With d1G2 and SN+ now (and GF6 on the horizon), I feel pretty comfortable with most brands but have run M1 0/5/10W30 and PP/Valvoline FS 5W30 lately.
I get good rebates from XOM and SOPUS and tried the Valvoline without a rebate because I was interested in its high HTHS for a GF5 5W30 as well as its low Noack loss.
Subaru specifies full synthetic for my car and I don't see any reason to not follow that, although I did run one OCI of Pennzoil Gold 5W30 blend because some of its published performance specs looked outstanding and it was d1G2. Probably wouldn't do that again.

Also change the oil in my daughter's car and she has gotten mostly M1 0W20 AFE with some PP 0W20...again, good rebates and everything I can find about these oils suggests they are very high quality for the $12-13 a jug I end up paying for them.

I use Rotella Multi Vehicle and Mobil ESP Formula in my engine because they are not GF5 as those tend to shear like crazy in my TGDI.

Posted a uoa of the Rotella not too long ago, I was impressed with the results.

Castrol Professional LL IV FE in the VW because: lease vehicle with pre-paid dealer maintenence

Castrol** Magnetec Full Synthetic 5W20 - Because it has a moss-green Interactive jug and promises to be different in a good way
smile.gif

**And I'm not even a Castrol fan because of the "Group III is a synthetic" argument almost two decades ago.

Last edited:
Mobil 1 - IMO still the overall leader in synthetic oil quality.

*My next choices would be Pennzoil/Valvoline.

Still experimenting with PP , M1 , QSUD , Castrol and Valvoline Advanced Synthetic - so far , the new formula Valvoline Advanced appears to be a nice oil on VOA.

Yeah, ChrisD46, the Valvoline Advanced 5w-30 was the best stuff I've run in the picky Nissan QR25DE 4 banger.

For some reason the subaru balked at it in 0w20 flavour. - though it ran clean.

Maybe the subaru timing system is just falling apart. It sounds as though it is on every start which - is a dry start.

Amsoil, and when it is gone, Schaeffer.

Amsoil because several years ago we were driving at least 30,000 miles per year and it saved on $$ and time.

Schaeffer because of the great UOAs and Amsoil has priced themselves above what I am willing to pay.

Royal Purple HMX 5w-30. Tons of detergent keeps my engines incredibly clean, and they run like new. I like that it's API SL, so it has more ZDDP and moly. It's borderline a 5w-40 too.

M1 has been my go to oil for the last 41 years. Results. Never had an engine show any sign of engine wear. All engines have stayed very clean. Have never had an engine increase in oil use over the time I owned the vehicle. With 40 years of 10K OCI history in some engines well over 200K and one at 354K when sold.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back