Which push mower should I purchase?

Status
Not open for further replies.
On a Cub Cadet - better know who made the engine - some are China specials ...

Personally, I would shop used fro now, maybe borrow from family members/friends. Also, if it's a older neighborhood, one can score quite a find during the garbage pickup day. I friend of mine scored two old school lawnboys like that.

From the previous thread, the property doesn't look like there is a lot of mowing needed. Once you've settled in and maintained the property for a while, you will be in a much better position to judge what kind of equipment and at what price point will suit your needs best.

I have both Honda and Cub Cadet push mowers made by MTD.
The Honda is a Sam's High wheel unit bought back in 2006 , still going strong at my parents house.
It's been neglected and is used to mow a 1 acre lot.

The Cubcadet is a 2008 unit purchased at Home Depot with the Chonda/Powermore engine.
Mostly for my small yard.
Electric start and rear bagger . No issues from it , other than routine maintenance.

In my experience you can't go wrong with either one.

YMMV though.

Originally Posted By: khittner
You want a Honda-powered mower. No other small engine will do. All other bits can be replaced episodically, but an easy starting drill is a must, and is simply unobtainable from any Briggs-powered piece of OPE that I've ever used. My 17yr-old GCV-160-powered Craftsman mower is a one-pull starter every time.

I have had brigs engines in the family for 60 years. They don't ever wear out. The equipment they power does.

I like Toro

Originally Posted By: Al
You want a Honda-powered mower. No other small engine will do. All other bits can be replaced episodically, but an easy starting drill is a must, and is simply unobtainable from any Briggs-powered piece of OPE that I've ever used. My 17yr-old GCV-160-powered Craftsman mower is a one-pull starter every time.

I have had brigs engines in the family for 60 years. They don't ever wear out. The equipment they power does.

I like Toro

+1

I love my Briggs flat head engines. Pretty much indestructible and extremely simple. Keep the oil full (doesn't even need to be clean or the correct grade), and keep good fuel in them and they start 1st or 2nd pull every time.

The newer OHV engines are a different story. Too much plastic and China feeling for my taste. If I HAD to buy a new mower, it would likely be Honda powered.

Used mowers make the most sense though. You can find sweet deals on Craiglist from people who are moving or too old to mow their lawn. I scored an almost brand new garaged Toro Recycler for one of my customers off Craigslist. The guy was moving down south and didn't need it. The cost was a fraction of the new price.

I've had customers who bought $600 Honda mowers only to hit a stump or rock and bend the crankshaft a few months later, toasting the engine.

Originally Posted By: Al

I like Toro

My MIL has two Toro GTS 5.5 mowers with Briggs engines. It's true that they don't ever wear out---but that's only because they very rarely start. Toro "GTS" = "Guaranteed to Suck". No amount of stabilized fuel, dealer repair, or start-dance-incantations have made them less than 20-pull-and-then-maybe-starters. They're as bad or worse than the Briggs-powered unclaimed freight store specials my father used to buy copies of every few years during my youth---those mowers had a weird crank-up spin starter that had to be wound up and triggered a bazillion times before the lawn could be mowed for my allowance. I really wish this American-made product was better, but it isn't.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
If you buy your lawnmower at Home Depot or Lowes, be careful. Both Honda and Toro mowers are actually made by MTD. You would still get the Honda engine but everything else is MTD. That is why they are so much cheaper than buying at a lawnmower store or power equipment center where they sell real Hondas and Toros amongst other good brands.

I suppose you can back that up with respect to Hondas? Because Honda says that isn’t true and my Dealer Honda appears identical in all respects to a HD Honda.

OP, just buy a Honda mower, you will thank us later...

Originally Posted By: Colt
Cub Cadet and Troy Bilt are both made by MTD.
Along with

MTD's brands[edit]
Bolens
Columbia
Cub Cadet
Cub Cadet Commercial
Cub Cadet Yanmar (joint with Yanmar)
Farm King
GardenWay
Gold Series
Gutbrod
Gutbrod-Kehrer
Huskee
Lawnflite
Mastercut
Mow Master
Mow Master Mastercut
MTD
MTD Black Edition
MTD Silver Edition
MTD Gold
MTD Mowmaster
MTD Platinum Pro
MTD Platinum SD
MTD Pro
MTD Super
MTD Taral
MTD Tradesman
MTD Turbomax
MTD 2000 Elite
Novotrac
Ranch King
Rasentrac
Remington
Troy-Bilt
Ventzki
Ventzki MTD
White Outdoor
Wolf Garten
Yard Machines
Yard-Man
Yard-Man Elite
Yard-Man Select
YardWorks

You forgot Toro

Most of us older types,not exactly 'old farts' quite yet, grew up with the basic briggs and stratton flat head engines.Nothing wrong with them, if they dont run you figure out where you screwed up on maintaining them.The only thing I never liked about the Briggs engines in the old days was removing the flywheels to clean or replace the points.Dang near a perfect designed engine for a mower, very little to go wrong.

I have had a Toro Recycler with a B&S engine on it the last 10 years. It does get serviced by me yearly, but the thing keeps chuggin' along. Great little mower and I would not hesitate to recommend one.

Originally Posted By: knerml
Toros are also MTD built.

Based on my experience with MTD mowers, avoid them.

Toro has bought many brands over the years, including Wheel Horse, one of my old favorites. I know of no link between Toro and MTD. You may be thinking of Briggs and Stratton.

Originally Posted By: oilpsi2high
Push mower, as in non self-propel?

I'd get the cheapest one possible and maintain it religiously.

This^^^
Cheapo mowers are also light and easy to handle mowers.
I've been using cheapos since my Lawnboy developed one too many problems back in 1995, none of which related to the engine, and went on the curb after about a decade of use. I really should have given it a full restore, since there really is no better mower.
Since then, I've worn out one MTD Tecumseh machine bought new for seventy dollars on clearance and have another bought in 1995 that needs a handle as of this June but runs well and a seventy dollar Briggs no oil changes needed machine bought this year for seventy dollars on clearance. I'll find a parts mower for the Tecumseh machine on trash morning in the near future. Meanwhile, the seventy buck Briggs MTD does the job, with about eight hours of use thus far. Just put 1.5 hours on it today and its low fuel use is amazing.
All of these things give or gave a decently clean cut and require little more than blade sharpening/dressing, oil changes and fuel.
I'll add that we have a lawn large enough that it takes me three hours to cut the whole thing.
In a lawnmower, cheap is often good.

Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz
Toro has bought many brands over the years, including Wheel Horse, one of my old favorites. I know of no link between Toro and MTD. You may be thinking of Briggs and Stratton.

Norman,

Toro did/does have an entry level riding mower series that are made by MTD. This started around 2007 and at least one site claims it stopped in 2013 (unconfirmed).

My 99 5HP Briggs Yard Machine just keeps going....I want to get a Honda, but just can't justify it right now with current one running great. I change oil and air filter and one spark plug since I've had it, but I've never replaced the blade or even changed out the points. It gets used every weekend from May to about October. I'm in the that almost old [censored] group that grew up with the 3.5 B&S engines...in fact, that was the start of my learning how engines work school.

I was told by my local power equipment dealer that all the Toro push mowers, regardless of store, are made by Toro. The riding mowers, low end box store variety, are made by MTD.

This is what I found online regarding what private labels MTD manufactures---- Toro (entry-level/lower-priced garden tractors sold at Home Depot and Ace Hardware)
Doesn't say anything about their push mowers.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: PimTac

If you buy your lawnmower at Home Depot or Lowes, be careful. Both Honda and Toro mowers are actually made by MTD. You would still get the Honda engine but everything else is MTD. That is why they are so much cheaper than buying at a lawnmower store or power equipment center where they sell real Hondas and Toros amongst other good brands.

I'm reading this and it is a bit confusing. "Honda and Toro mowers are actually made by MTD." Do you mean some mowers with Honda Engines are made by MTD?

A few facts just to clarify:

• 100% Honda mowers are only made by Honda. MTD does not make any Honda mowers. MTD probably does make some Brand X mowers with a Honda Engine.
• There is no such thing as a "Home Depot / Lowes" version of a Honda mower. All Honda mowers are exactly the same, e.g., a 100% Honda mower for sale at Home Depot is exactly the same one you'd find at a Honda Power Equipment dealer.
• Lowes does not sell 100% Honda mowers; they do sell some other mower brands that feature a Honda engine

Bonus:
• All Honda mowers sold in the USA are made at Honda's plant in Swepsonville, NC. This includes the engine, as there is an on-site foundry, so Honda mower engines are cast, machined and fully assembled at this plant. The only exception is a single model called the HRC216HXA; it uses a special shaft-drive version of the GXV160 engine, which is not cast or machined in the USA.

My Craftsman self prop walk behind is 9 years old - the B&S (6) starts with one pull ...

Originally Posted By: Tdbo
That comparison comes down to basically what color do you want your MTD?
My advice would be to keep on looking. Honda, some of the higher end Toros, Husquvarna would be a good place to start.

X2. Toro still makes some of the better consumer grade mowers out there. I did replace a good number of FWD transmissions in them when I was a tech at a repair company for Home Depot and Lowe's, but they are still better than any MTD overall. The decks tend to be sturdier than consumer grade Hondas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back