Which high mileage oil has the most seal swelling?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did my in-laws' 2000 Avalon with the 3.0L 1MZ-FE V6 engine. It took about 3 hours and yes, had to remove/move a ton of stuff and while I was there spark plugs were replaced. I used Toyota OEM gaskets from an online Toyota dealer which was way cheaper than the stealership here in Honolulu. It was leaking a lot but stopped after I did the gaskets.

I've had luck with ATP-205 Re-Seal with some slow seal leaks on my 1MZ-FE that weren't affected by three brands of high mileage oil, but I wouldn't expect it to do anything for gaskets.

Originally Posted By: Silk
If you had rubber oil seals in your engine, the swelling would be impressive. They moved away from leather seals, but there was no rubber seals to move away from.

OK neoprene then. I meant neoprene.

If you can reach the valve cover bolts without removing too much parts, you can retorque the valve cover bolts. Usually this helps to decrease the oil leak. I did this with one of my beaters and I drove this car for more than two years without too much problem.

Make sure you buy new valve cover bolts for the banks. The 1MZ valve cover bolts use crush washers that are not reusesble after they have been properly torqued. I have a 1MZ-FE and did a bunch of research when I did my gaskets. Get them from an online Toyota parts supplier. If you don’t you are likely to have leaks again soon and strip the threads because the bolts go in too deep.

Last edited:
I used M1 HM 10w30 (the old API SL version) a few years ago in my Jeep when it had a leaking RMS.

It went from dripping onto the garage floor to not dripping at all. It wasn't in long enough to monitor actual consumption.

Originally Posted By: LaCocina27
Originally Posted By: tig1
IF your engine is the V6 and it's the back VC then HM oil will not work for you. My grandsons 2002 Camry had to have the VC gasket replaced twice which is a real pain. He tried everything . No dice.

What about Mobil 1 HM? Will that work?

He tried 2-3 10K OCIs with M1 HM and no success. Finally had to have the VC changed. Actually had to have it changed twice. 2 years apart. It appears to be a poor design where the rear VC and head tilts lower than the front VC and head. I guess the oil may pond there.

About 2002 BOB RIP ,did a test with all kind of OTC products rubber products swelled with solvents . Hence the use of AUTO RX or similar chemicals will not affect some seals & gaskets. VITON big upgrade vrs Neoprene Durometer swing . I do believe thst some Esters do affect Viton seals .No Hi Milage oil for me ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back