Where do you grocery shop?

Personally we go to Costco once a month for a decent sized haul, then fill in the gaps throughout the month with Walmart and Target. Occasionally I'll go to Safeway for a few things they have that the others don't. I think I want to try Trader Joes more often moving forward as everyone always raves about it.

I used to be an exclusively Safeway shopper as I didn't mind spending a little more for a clean store with very helpful employees, but the pricing just went insane and if I compare the exact same items at Target or Walmart it's a huge difference and I can't justify that.

I do often use the "pick-up" option so I just park in the designated spot and they bring my stuff out to the car. Plus I've noticed if I go into the store I lack discipline and end up buying additional items that I find interesting but didn't really need so it saves me time and money.

I eat very little processed foods which makes groceries expensive. My wife does most of the grocery shopping at Whole Foods. We randomly shop at other stores, too. Trader Joes, Walmart, Kroger, too many to list. Being that I take pics of everything, here is one from Trader Joes. A NY cheesecake is below the cod fillets.

IMG_6354.JPG

Walmart with grocery pickup. Judge me all you want, but it saves me hours a week and grocery stores have gotten to charge too much for basic stuff :ROFLMAO:

For instance, there was an almost $3/jar difference on a spaghetti sauce between a local grocery and Walmart. No average family can pay that kind of difference.

Wegman's, Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, Lidl, Acme.

Last edited:
Mostly:
Aldi
Shoprite

Occasionally:
Stop and Shop
Walmart

Typically price sensitive and largely a perimeter shopper.

Jewel-Osco usually because it's on the way home from the gym. However, I have started noticing the lack of vegetable and produce variety at Jewels. They didn't have green onions for the past week, occasionally not have Mint, Cilantro, etc so I've been shopping at Tony's which always has the herbs I need and tend to have a greater selection of "non-American" food selections. I'll also drive 40 minutes to my H-Mart if I need something super Asian that I know I can't find near me.

I shop at a bunch of stores. I go to Costco a lot more than I should. The prices are only OK for a lot of stuff but it's very conveniently located for me and I go there for gas all the time. I try to hit Winco a lot as the prices are about the best around here. I also hit a restaurant supply store that has the best prices on meat and some kinds of produce. I also go to ethnic grocery stores for good prices on produce and items for Thai recipes and other Asian meals.

I rarely go to Safeway, Albertsons, Fred Meyers (a Kroger chain) and never go to Whole Paycheck.

local grocery store
greengrocer
farmers market
meat/fish market
Trader Joe's
Whole Foods
Sprouts
Cal-Mart (select items)
Bi-Rite (select items)
Smart&Final (select items)
Grocery Outlet (select items)
amazon.com (select items)

Costco is a three or four-timers-a-year slog.

Last edited:
local grocery store
greengrocer
farmers market
meat/fish market
Trader Joe's
Whole Foods
Cal-Mart (select items)
Bi-Rite (select items)
Smart&Final (select items)
Grocery Outlet (select items)
amazon.com (select items)

Somewhat similar:

local grocery store - Everson Market
green grocer - The Green Barn
Bellingham Farmers market (see our neighbors there!) -
Our garden Aprilish-Octoberish - last 2 summers we did not need to buy much/many fresh veggie items
Local 1/4-1/2 beef sellers, whole lamb (On the Lamb Farm (funny) and 1/2-whole pig farmers (Alluvial (neighbor) and another one name escapes me) in our two chest freezers
Dockside fish sellers, right from the boat
Edaleen Dairy
Trader Joe's
Whole Foods
Costco
Safeway
Grocery Outlet
Amazon
Some spice places, flours, etc online
Oh and Canada - some different items at good prices, like real Italian tomato products Beaver co-op and Sav-On

local Price Chopper
Walmart
Sam's Club
Costco
Dillons (Kroger affiliate)

Costco, HyVee, Aldi are all too far to shop consistently. Dillons has to be in a town I am going to for other reasons.

Mostly a local grocer, because of convenience, and they have good produce. It is 4 blocks from my house.
Second is Smith's, a Kroger owned chain in the West, that actually started in my home town, by Dee Glen Smith.
Third is Costco. We like a lot of their foods.
Tried Trader Joe's once, but wasn't overly impressed with most of what we tried. Just another grocer, and not convenient to us. Prices seemed fair, though.

Personally we go to Costco once a month for a decent sized haul, then fill in the gaps throughout the month with Walmart and Target. Occasionally I'll go to Safeway for a few things they have that the others don't. I think I want to try Trader Joes more often moving forward as everyone always raves about it.

I used to be an exclusively Safeway shopper as I didn't mind spending a little more for a clean store with very helpful employees, but the pricing just went insane and if I compare the exact same items at Target or Walmart it's a huge difference and I can't justify that.

I do often use the "pick-up" option so I just park in the designated spot and they bring my stuff out to the car. Plus I've noticed if I go into the store I lack discipline and end up buying additional items that I find interesting but didn't really need so it saves me time and money.
My local Safeway is not good with meat being fresh. The one across town is way better. Other than a local butcher shop most chains have discontinued or gotten rid of their butchers. I find that with coupons Natural grocers can be a good deal. Unfortunately Kroger's or King Soopers purchased most of the small local grocery stores and SHOULDN'T BE ALLOWED TO PURCHASE Safeway. Not sure why the regulatory agencies are still on the fence about this.

Back