Self checkouts-honest mistakes?!

I
In my younger days I have tested “security” and true they cannot grab a person, only LE can. I have walked right out the door with one shouting at me to halt. Following them back in to a back room is silly but many would.

That’s state by state specific. I worked store security from age 17-20. In Florida it is illegal to resist arrest from a store merchant. A store merchant has full arrest powers to detain a shoplifter. And can use force to detain a shoplifter. Same force a cop can use.

I have been in knock out drag out fights (always won) and got the handcuffs on. The cops came and charged them with resisting arrest and petit theft or grand theft.

Store policies have changed and most stores do not allow aggressive detainments like I used to do 20 plus years ago for obvious liability reasons.

It was a fun as heck job for a young kid that was in the police academy .

That’s state by state specific. I worked store security from age 17-20. In Florida it is illegal to resist arrest from a store merchant. A store merchant has full arrest powers to detain a shoplifter. And can use force to detain a shoplifter. Same force a cop can use.

I have been in knock out drag out fights (always won) and got the handcuffs on. The cops came and charged them with resisting arrest and petit theft or grand theft.

Store policies have changed and most stores do not allow aggressive detainments like I used to do 20 plus years ago for obvious liability reasons.

Interesting. Guess I’d be in a heap of trouble in FLA. I’m never going to let a rent a cop grab me, not then, not today. Doesn’t matter what the law says.

Interesting. Guess I’d be in a heap of trouble in FLA. I’m never going to let a rent a cop grab me, not then, not today. Doesn’t matter what the law says.

Once you steal property that doesn’t belong to you, you give up certain rights. Like it or not, in my state a merchant can detain with force. As I used to say, you can fight but you’ll just go to jail tired and catch more charges. Also, if you have stolen property and then use attacking force in an effort to get away, you have elevated a misdemeanor petit theft into a felony robbery. Instead of probation, you are looking at 5-10 years. I really don’t recommend fighting store security in an effort to get away. It’s super easy to elevate a charge to robbery.

Last edited:
Would have been the last dime they ever got from me.
Maybe not the last dime with me, but I would have made my point that time..... I would have went to the service desk/returns and returned everything I bought that day. I would have had them call management in as well so they knew why and that maybe some re-training was warranted for some employees.

I do remember a coworker who was always insistent that he wouldn't produce a receipt unless he was specifically accused of stealing something. And frankly he was right under my state's laws.

I've heard of some stores hiring off-duty law enforcement who would have legal authority to detain. But sometimes they're wearing private security uniforms, while others work directly with actual police agencies to hire off-duty officers in full uniform. There are a couple of Apple Stores around here that have a specific police parking spot and the police are right there during regular hours. Seen that a few times at other stores too, where there's an officer waiting inside much of the time.

I remember a few places that were exclusively self-checkout unless one had a disability. Tesco brought the Fresh & Easy chain to the US, and every location I'd been to was self-checkout. But like a gas station, they would provide employee help to someone who might be blind or otherwise needed help.
I remember Fresh & Easy. They lasted only a few years.

On a related note, and it's only Walmarts that do it that I see, is I bypass the receipt/cart checker (I don't do it at Sam's Club though). Normally I just don't make eye contact with them. My kids still repeat the story of the WM in Myrtle Beach that we went to on a Saturday morning, so it was super busy as all of the vacationers (us included) arrive on Saturday for most rentals. The receipt-checking line was 20-30 carts deep. We went through a check-out with a person, so no self-checkout, and paid for everything. As we went past the crowd and the "checker" we could hear people in disbelief that we walked right past. Now, I'm not a rule-breaker but I don't have patience for silliness.... and I'm not a thief. If it became an issue, I would probably have just claimed ignorance and said grocery stores where we're from trust us.

Once you steal property that doesn’t belong to you, you give up certain rights. Like it or not, in my state a merchant can detain with force. As I used to say, you can fight but you’ll just go to jail tired and catch more charges. Also, if you have stolen property and then use attacking force in an effort to get away, you have elevated a misdemeanor petit theft into a felony robbery. Instead of probation, you are looking at 5-10 years. I really don’t recommend fighting store security in an effort to get away. It’s super easy to elevate a charge to robbery.
A perfect storm. Low qualifications. Bad judgement. Use of force. Sounds like a Bad decision on any merchant’s part. There’s a likely reason why a person is a rent a cop, and not a real cop. Being more highly qualified for the role is not the obvious one.

Edit I recently watched an interrogation of a smal town police chief who murdered someone.

When state police detectives went to interview him, he seemed to plead the 5th and ask for a lawyer at a moment that would annoy the detectives the most. Kinda like playin’ the playa

Last edited:

Better be darn sure they are in fact shoplifting, because you touch someone who isn't - its assault.

Is there such a thing as a happy Walmart shopper? The only reason to shop there is it's cheap, certainly not for the experience.
The two little stores in my town are very nice. The employees are polite and friendly. I enjoy them in fact.

The ones near the city - not so much.

Is there such a thing as a happy Walmart shopper? The only reason to shop there is it's cheap, certainly not for the experience.
OK, I admit -- I am a generally happy Walmart shopper. I go to the nearest one to me, which is also the smallest in the area. I can still find what I want and there are quite a few long term employees that are friendly.

I guess that I'm usually a happy WM shopper. I don't go there when I'm in a rush and I LIKE cheap. And the sheer entertainment of watching the Wall-Martians usually makes the trip worth while.

Never had issues anywhere except Kroger.. they have spot on weight counters. I'd say too precise. My wife was a cashier years ago at Walmart, she can do better than most cashiers.

Back