Where do the batteries come from ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Stelth
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: Shannow
Big holes in the ground and ponds of leachate and chemicals

Right... and there's nothing wrong with petrochemical processing and refining...

Not sure if you read the article. The writer isn't saying that we must stop manufacturing lithium-ion batteries to save the planet, or something like that. He does, however, point out that there are costs, consequences, and concerns associated with the manufacture of these batteries. Yes, he points out that some related processes cause local pollution. He also points out that the supply chain(s) may be somewhat tenuous. I don't see any of the modern environmental hysteria we're often deluged with.

Of course I read it. Let's face the facts, it starts by saying it is politically charged.

It goes on with information like the following:

Quote:
To produce lithium from ore, the ore is typically crushed. Then chemicals and high temperatures are used to separate the lithium from the rest of the rock.

Producing lithium this way requires land use changes – clearing land, digging mines and storing waste rock. Significant energy and chemical use are also needed to obtain to the final product.

Quote:
Environmentally, the lithium-ion battery’s future is also worrying. The production of electrode materials may become more environmentally damaging. On the other hand, the impact of the lithium supply itself is likely to improve

While actually insightful in terms of what the materials are inside, where things come from, how they are processed, etc., it's a bit one sided for my taste. EVs are mentioned more than once,mans this is an automotive-oriented site, with the link posted in the automotive general topics area, so the nature of the discussion is somewhat set by that.

Where did I say that ?

If certain groups are going to claim "environmental devastation" around their evil energy source of choice, they need to acknowledge that their preference does exactly the same sort of stuff, just in different places ?

Level playing field...

Level playing field, exactly... So here the pendulum swung the opposite way. Pot call the kettle black, or something like that...

There is no free lunch is a very valid point here. I'm no believer in EVs, but I am in using batteries to optimize sfc, like in hybrid cars. I am somewhat curious where the break even is for my hybrid. The battery has an impact. Yes. But most of it is recyclable, as most of the mass is copper and aluminum. And pumping more crude, more processing, more sulfur byproducts, etc. have their toll too.

I was in an expensive/intensive (mandatory) training course - and wife blowing up my cell phone. Dust settled - I might just write to Ford - all my AC Delco factory batteries were good for 4 years or more ...

Originally Posted By: Nyogtha
What do petrochemicals have to do with an energy source? Petrochemicals are seperated and purified away from petroleum fuels sales.

I'm sure you had no idea my intended meaning was regarding petroleum products in general...
smirk.gif

Fuel sales aren't an energy source? Without them would all the other products exist in such quantity and cost?

A Li ion battery has a polymer separator, and an organic electrolyte inside, with often a polymer cell structure and outer case. A Li-ion battery per this article apparently has a major environmental footprint, meanwhile it is using materials (would you say valuable byproducts?) derived from petroleum feed stocks cracked into a variety of products.

Meanwhile, the production of petroleum crudes, petroleum fuels, and the (necessary?) repurposing of other byproducts and product streams all have their own environmental footprint.

As posted just above, balanced discussion is key/level playing field.

Originally Posted By: 4WD
I was in an expensive/intensive (mandatory) training course - and wife blowing up my cell phone. Dust settled - I might just write to Ford - all my AC Delco factory batteries were good for 4 years or more ...

You're talking about lead acid batteries. The article is about Li-ion.

Li-ion drop in replacements are coming. And with much superior lifecycle performance.

I'd recommend you check what you're letting have a parasitic draw when the truck is off, as lead acid batteries degrade when not fully charged.

Petrochemicals are seperate from fuels, just as I posted the first time. Or do you routinely see anyone fill up a fuel tank with high purity

Ethylene
Acetylene
Propylene
Butylenes
Cyclohexane
Benzene
Toluene
Xylene (either mixed or individual isomers)
Cumene

These are all examples of petrochemicals which once again are seperated and purified seperately from fuels. They have a higher market value than fuels for uses other than fuels, which is why petrochemicals are seperate from fuels.

Not every petroleum refinery produces petrochemicals for sale, and not all petrochemical facilities produce fuels.

Propane is a fuel, and only requires a 90% minimum purity
Butane is a fuel
Gasoline is a fuel of wide boiling range variable mixture not narrow as for petrochemicals
Jet fuel is a wide boiling range variable mixture, not narrow for a high purity petrochemical
Diesel is a wide boiling range variable mixture, not narrow for a high purity petrochemical

Last edited:
I know - we make thin film tech, etc ... just know they should not drop the ball like this in transition period ...

Petrochemicals are seperate from fuels, just as I posted the first time. Or do you routinely see anyone fill up a fuel tank with high purity

Ethylene
Acetylene
Propylene
Butylenes
Cyclohexane
Benzene
Toluene
Xylene (either mixed or individual isomers)
Cumene

These are all examples of petrochemicals which once again are seperated and purified seperately from fuels. They have a higher market value than fuels for uses other than fuels, which is why petrochemicals are seperate from fuels.

Not every petroleum refinery produces petrochemicals for sale, and not all petrochemical facilities produce fuels.

Propane is a fuel, and only requires a 90% minimum purity
Butane is a fuel
Gasoline is a fuel of wide boiling range variable mixture not narrow as for petrochemicals
Jet fuel is a wide boiling range variable mixture, not narrow for a high purity petrochemical
Diesel is a wide boiling range variable mixture, not narrow for a high purity petrochemical

Yessir... Gold star for you, for using a more precise terminology than I did. My mistake. Now, did any layperson reading what I posted mistake the intent in meaning? Dubious, though I was admittedly incorrect in usage.

Are you a layperson?

Apparently. Doesn't change the point I was trying to make, or the way it was taken based upon other responses.

I never said it did. I simply politely asked a question for clarification on your statement, and also politely made a statement on a distinction.

How does a mod go about becoming the BITOG granter of gold stars?

Last edited:
As stated I was incorrect in usage. But why one word (ending really, let's face it if I had said petroleum instead of petrochemical you wouldn't be nitpicking) needs to go into filling tanks with high purity cumene instead of meaningful discussion about batteries or the environmental ramifications of batteries or oil production is kind of beyond me.

Another point in the discussion is that batteries aren't an energy source in their own right, and therefore need some other primary energy source to charge them...yes the hybrids use that (Petroleum) more efficiently than other modes...but take down here, Tesla are putting in the world's biggest Li battery (rumoured to be even bigger as it needs to function at 110F+) into the grid...but it's empty without something to charge it.

But it's not a substitution...

Last edited:
As stated I was incorrect in usage. But why one word (ending really, let's face it if I had said petroleum instead of petrochemical you wouldn't be nitpicking) needs to go into filling tanks with high purity cumene instead of meaningful discussion about batteries or the environmental ramifications of batteries or oil production is kind of beyond me.

Simple - it's due to refusal to accept the differentiation as originally presented, thus further illustrating the differentiation with specific examples for greater clarity.

Kinda like discussing lithium used with regard to energy vs. say lithium used in a pharmaceutical chemical.

Last edited:

Simple - it's due to refusal to accept the differentiation as originally presented, thus further illustrating the differentiation with specific examples for greater clarity.

Kinda like discussing lithium used with regard to energy vs. say lithium used in a pharmaceutical chemical.

There's no issue with acceptance. I stated plainly that I used the wrong term. Why you think it is particularly pertinent to the thread beyond that is not particularly clear to me.

There is no free lunch is a very valid point here. I'm no believer in EVs, but I am in using batteries to optimize sfc, like in hybrid cars. I am somewhat curious where the break even is for my hybrid. The battery has an impact. Yes. But most of it is recyclable, as most of the mass is copper and aluminum. And pumping more crude, more processing, more sulfur byproducts, etc. have their toll too.

The problem I have with batteries is that they were picked as the winning technology. There are other technologies that can improve the SFC that have not been really explored other than some initial studies done in 70s and 80s.

Another point in the discussion is that batteries aren't an energy source in their own right, and therefore need some other primary energy source to charge them...yes the hybrids use that (Petroleum) more efficiently than other modes...but take down here, Tesla are putting in the world's biggest Li battery (rumoured to be even bigger as it needs to function at 110F+) into the grid...but it's empty without something to charge it.

But it's not a substitution...

Yes, the battery in an electric vehicle is more like the fuel tank in liquid fuel vehcles... You're not going anywhere with either if nothing is put in.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ

The problem I have with batteries is that they were picked as the winning technology. There are other technologies that can improve the SFC that have not been really explored other than some initial studies done in 70s and 80s.

Why don't they use batteries as a performance enhancer? Lots of people could be served well with a hybrid 4x4, one axle conventional, one electrical. The possibilities to improve both performance and efficiecy are seemingly endless.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Originally Posted By: 4WD
I just want to know where Ford batteries come from. $50k SUV - 2-1/2 years old - 36,004 miles - (no warning- failed) wife stuck 2 hours from home - Ford dealer said past 36k ... paid a wrecker to jump start and went to Walmart for battery.

So little known fact, it is 36K from the mileage at initial sale. I bought my Mustang that had 292 miles on it so the 3/36 warranty actually went to 36,292. It is written on the sales contract and on an OASIS report.

O an Johnson Controls makes the Motorcraft batteries, Sanyo makes the Ford hybrid batteries.

And JCI is making batteries in Mexico as well as recycling them over there. Less regulations, but lead is something not to be taken lightly. This is where I feel automation to reduce human interaction with Pb is needed.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ

Really? Do tell.

The 100 MPG carburetor that Exxon bought the design to, in order to prevent it from ever getting to market?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back