Coldest Oil Change Done Outside

Not sure if it was 20F or 10F. Didn't mind--as long as the wind wasn't blowing. 0W20 for the win, that water-thin stuff runs right out at those temps. :ROFLMAO: Shouldn't need to do that going forward, likely 40F will be my coldest.

But I drain oil stone cold as a rule. Not sure if I'll keep doing that, too many cars and it's just too nice to not do all oil changes in the warmth of the garage going forward. :)

Spring and Fall changed for our 3 cars. Late March/Early April and Late Sept/Early Oct. Sometimes you win and it's nice and sometimes you lose and its well below freezing and there's snow.
Definitely done this one a number of times. With the once a year oil change interval I can plan ahead these days.

In my garage in Moorcroft, Wyoming 2010. Changed the front diff oil and went to 0w30 Mobil from 10w30. Big difference in cold start.
Minus 35C @ Hinton, Alberta.
After a shift at the pulp mill I went to Walmart and bought enough M1 0W40 to do two railroad trucks.
Cautionary tale; fast lube oil change bulk 5w30 won’t pump at minus 40, M1 0w40 will.
Wow thats incredible. Being in the south, i cannot comprehend those cold temps!!

No outside LOFs below 20 deg but in 1984 changed out the 5 speed in a Maxima diesel in the unheated barn/shop at zero deg. Didn`t have a pilot shaft so lining up the trans while it was on my chest and forcing the throw-bearing to get the first two bolts in almost did me in. After that when I slid out from under I couldn`t feel my legs or the cold. Knew I was in trouble so made my way to inside the house for a warm then hot shower. Did two other major repairs in the next ten years during mid winter but those days are long over.

Did my MILs car once when it was 16 degrees out. All I wore was a ratty hoodie because I didn't want to get my winter coat dirty. It was still a nice crisp, dry 16'F.

I don't like doing car work below that temperature as it leads to more snapped fasteners. IDK if, metallurgically, the stuff gets more brittle or my nerves don't give me appropriate feedback. Even in winter I can find a 20-25 degree day nearly every week to get some car work done if needed. And, honestly, it's nicer at that temperature as ice stays put when I lean on it. Get closer to freezing and there are gross puddles everywhere.
Plastic certainly does! Never deal with plastic trim at those temps!

Coldest I would say working outside on a Volvo V70 I bought for the ex in Feb. I did the timing belt, water pump and oil in the upper Teens(F°). I do remember it was snowing that day and I was just in the driveway as I didn't have a garage yet. Done many oil changes on the vehicles in the 30's f as well. When sunny and no wind it was never bad in the winters.

I do them in the winter outside on long chassis vehicles. Throw on my outside work coat and get under it. Winter can be 40 it can be 0 degrees F. Usually the worst part is how cold the tools get laying on the ground even for a couple mins

No outside LOFs below 20 deg but in 1984 changed out the 5 speed in a Maxima diesel in the unheated barn/shop at zero deg. Didn`t have a pilot shaft so lining up the trans while it was on my chest and forcing the throw-bearing to get the first two bolts in almost did me in. After that when I slid out from under I couldn`t feel my legs or the cold. Knew I was in trouble so made my way to inside the house for a warm then hot shower. Did two other major repairs in the next ten years during mid winter but those days are long over.
I had to do a timing belt job on an Audi 4000q under similar conditions when the crank seal started leaking copiously. When I was recovering inside the house I noticed the tip of my index finger was white. Frostbite.

About 28 degrees. Try not to do that again lol. I feel bad for the people who listed a temperature lower than that and I thought 28 was cold haha.

I've been changing the oil on my Honda CRV when the maintenance minder gets down to 20%. And I know my usage and how slowly the maintenance minder clicks down in percentage and according to my calculations it'll be at 20% on January 1st which is probably one of the coldest times of the year here in Pittsburgh PA. I'm running pup so I might just leave it go beyond 20% until we get a decent day.

My dad's 70 Chevy station wagon had the starter go bad in the winter while it was parked at the local grocery store. The ground was covered in snow. I took a couple of sheets of cardboard with me and change the starter laying on the cardboard which was laying on the snow.

I don't remember how cold it was, but it was January in Bavaria and I was filling my BMW with 20W-50 thinking I should probably be using a 10W-40.

Back