Whare Do You Buy Your Car Parts?

Great question...

1) Amazon - Pretty much the quickest online and a 30-day money back guarantee
2) Ebay - Great for parts on older vehicles.
3) Rockauto - Similar to Ebay in practice. Good company.
4) Advance Auto Parts - They will match Rockauto if you include the delivery charge. Harder to do this these days.
5) O'Reilly - If I need it that day and they're cheaper than Advance, I'll go here. Also offers an excellent free tool program.
6) Car-part.com - For hard to find parts I can't find elsewhere, Car-part is solid.
7) Local junkyard - Sometimes I'll call the one less than a mile from the dealership. Good source for late model parts that I prefer an OEM product.
8 ) Walmart - This is where we get our oil and coolant. Sometimes if we have a car that just needs an oil change I'll just have the hauler go there. Also a good source for Value batteries.
9) Battery re-seller - We have a couple that sell refurbs at a price that's cheaper than Walmart. For example, a series 34 which would cost $150 at Walmart will only cost $35 to $50 at a refurb store.
10) Local Facebook / Craigslist - Good for factory wheels on certain vehicles like late-model Tacomas.
11) Pull-A-Part - If a part is really rare and I can't find it elsewhere this is usually the last resort.

Finally, if you need a certain older vehicle that you sell a lot of (and have a space) going online to 'Your State' Public Notice allows me to find that vehicle which will get parted out as time goes on. I haven't done this for a while. The absolute bottom of the barrel source is thrift stores. I have bought oil filters and even tires from there. But I can count those transactions with one hand. The same is true for local yard sales and auctions. Heck, I sometimes get lucky and find quality unused parts in some of the cars we buy.

I have bought over $250,000 worth of auto parts over the last 20 years and even write about it. Google 'Steven Lang' and auto parts. You'll find a few of those articles.

FCP's new warehouse in AZ, to open in late this year, will make their customers on the left coast happy.

They've come a long way since being known mostly for selling rebuilt parts like steering racks.

This would have been an easy question to answer back in 2016, when parts.com existed and there was still free shipping and no sales tax.

Perfect example--vacuuming my wife's GM SUV on Wednesday, noticed a mat holder knob broke, holds floor mat in place, twists ("Retainer, Floor Carpet Upper), simple piece of plastic, has a list of $9.92. It reminds me of a push pin that holds trim in any car. $10.

This type of item, costs more on amazon, ebay, etc., and maybe $6.50 (what a bargain!) at an online dealer but with shipping you know what happens.

If not rock, amazon, eBay, I do without.

$20 on amazon

clipr4.jpg

Last edited:
Why does Rock Auto's shipping locations/prices jump around for no reason?
For example, in my cart, I had brake pads which were shipped from location B, and rotors which were shipped from location A.
I added a caliper hanger set and caliper piston compressor to my cart, which are both to be shipped from location A, but adding them made the rotors now show being shipped from location C, which adds a lot more shipping cost.

I've noticed this kind of thing many times. It's almost like they want to ship items from different locations.

Why does Rock Auto's shipping locations/prices jump around for no reason?
For example, in my cart, I had brake pads which were shipped from location B, and rotors which were shipped from location A.
I added a caliper hanger set and caliper piston compressor to my cart, which are both to be shipped from location A, but adding them made the rotors now show being shipped from location C, which adds a lot more shipping cost.

I've noticed this kind of thing many times. It's almost like they want to ship items from different locations.
Here’s why

It's crazy. And further nonsense, in my cart as mentioned above: two brake tools from location A, pads from B, rotors from C. If I remove the pads, the rotors jump back to location B! And of course, add pads back in and they're from location B but rotors jump back to C.

Or, remove one of the brake tools, and the pads and rotors are now magically from A and B.

Their E-commerce site seriously needs and overhaul, or switch vendors.

It's crazy. And further nonsense, in my cart as mentioned above: brake tools from location A, pads from B, rotors from C. If I remove the pads, the rotors jump back to location B! And of course, add pads back in and they're from location B but rotors jump back to C.
It’s because they don’t have any parts. They are just middlemen. I usually buy as much as I can with the base shipping. On rare occasions I cannot, so I load up as much as I can under 2 shipping charges. The savings is always more than the shipping, or no dice

It's too bad I have to miss out on a tool because if I add it, it pushes one of the other parts to a different location all by itself, so adding that small part ends up much more expensive than buying it elsewhere.

It's crazy. And further nonsense, in my cart as mentioned above: two brake tools from location A, pads from B, rotors from C. If I remove the pads, the rotors jump back to location B! And of course, add pads back in and they're from location B but rotors jump back to C.

Or, remove one of the brake tools, and the pads and rotors are now magically from A and B.

Upgrades like that cost an intense amount of money especially guessing they have a legacy system behind it all.

With auto parts I get why they charge by the item and location as they can be heavy.

Upgrades like that cost an intense amount of money especially guessing they have a legacy system behind it all.

With auto parts I get why they charge by the item and location as they can be heavy.
There's not a lot of competition. Too many examples, but say a rear wiper blade for $4.xx, while amazon sells it for $15. Yes, one has to add $12.95 shipping. But I've ordered $700 of parts with $12.95 shipping. There's no conspiracy behind them lol

Depending on circumstances, either Rock Auto, online dealer parts department, or local auto supply.

The Legend is an extreme circumstance as most non-maintenance parts are NLA. Ebay or parts for/from a Sterling 825/827 is the go-to.

Last edited:

I'm not complaining about charging by item.
Yes upgrades cost a lot, but their system is broken.

Depends. If I have luxury of time, I'll shop around and see what I can get for best price. Some things I want OEM, others not, but I'll shop for best price and maybe time. But if I need it today I'll take a gamble on Autozone or similar, like when the vehicle is down and I need it back up sooner than later.

One upshot to having a VW was there was a number of places that seemed to specialize in parts for that car. I could get "oil change kits" which would put all I needed into a box. Same thing for other similar jobs (say timing belt). Toyota, it's like no one expects them to break. :( That or their owners either only go to the dealer or they go to the cheapest white box that they can find.

- OEM from [Toyota] Dealer: Almost everything including oil and filters
- WallyWorld: Stop by every other month or so for chemicals like FI cleaner, washer fluid, break-clean etc.
- Auto-Zone: definitely overpriced +10-20% over WallyWorld; when I don't have time to get whatever from WallyWorld
- Ebay: when I want a specific individual tool
- Amazon: almost never (No real perceived discount imo + high risk of knock-off or counterfeit
- NAPA: Rarely these days, used to a-lot for families old cars [parts] and Carlyle tools are nice, but now stupid overpriced

Back