Truck Running Board Advice Sought

My new workplace 3/4 ton, 4 WD Silvarado sits SO high and I am SO short/old, that for the first time in my life, I am going to install running boards for easier access. From ground to truck floor is 27 inches. Nearly impossible to reach over the truck bed. Ridiculous.

I want simple, clean, effective, with no fashion statement. I will go with aluminum for corrosion resistance. I will go with a no-drilling model that uses OEM attachment points underneath (pre-installed studs or threaded holes).

Am I missing anything obvious that I might regret? Any advice? Thanks.

I found stainless steel running boards and 'bent bars which act as steps' and other stuff from a company in Florida.
They were fairly priced from what I could tell.
Sorry I didn't memorize the name as it was a while back. I've tried to relocate them without luck but there must be some outfit somewhere making generic (therefore plain) stuff.

Their are plenty of places on the web that sells running bards. They will all rust given a period of time. Either the boards themselves or the mounting brackets will rust. My most important word of advice is to run away from those that need to be mounted to the body bolts and only consider ones that mount to the OEM factory rocker panels holes.

I went with the GM flat plastic boards in black on my Z71 Silverado. Coat the mounting brackets with a preventative coating and check yearly if in a salt zone. Mounts to factory mounting points and installed them by myself as brackets are keyed for hang on installation. Had both on in an hour. Boards had 4 mounting brackets, stronger than the 3-point ones.
A little pricier but I used points from buying the truck.
I like the flat boards as they help deflect road debris and salt somewhat and a more stable surface in winter for old guy feet.

I went with the GM flat plastic boards in black on my Z71 Silverado.
Thank you. Shopping the internet is mind boggling. It's VERY difficult to get details. I assume you mean plastic covered boards? I saw some Ford OEM plastic covered boards that I love. Plastic doesn't corrode nor is there any paint wear off.

Do you have any pictures or model numbers? Do they look like these OEM ones:
1690644188640.png
1690644397176.png
1690644964668.jpg

One problem I have is that this is a regular standard cab and there are fewer running board options available.

Last edited:
I didn't have much of a problem, other than the first set rusted out. I think that set was the one my son slipped and fell off off--probably no winning, if it's got decent grip then at some point you'll skin a shin on it.

Liked mine. Good for getting in, and once in, bang your shoes off and track less dirt in. Once on I think my truck was the easiest vehicle I had for getting in and out of. I had a cap on though so I have no idea if they are any good for bed access. I see various steps that can be bolted on in the rear; a pole with a hook on it can work for pulling things forward w/o having to get in.

Thank you. Shopping the internet is mind boggling. It's VERY difficult to get details. I assume you mean plastic covered boards? I saw some Ford OEM plastic covered boards that I love. Plastic doesn't corrode nor is there any paint wear off.

Do you have any pictures or model numbers? Do they look like these OEM ones:
View attachment 169401View attachment 169402View attachment 169404

One problem I have is that this is a regular standard cab and there are fewer running board options available.
I went with the ones that are pictured on the white Sierra. I have a crew cab though.

We got some very nice powder coated aluminum ones to replace the craptacular aftermarket ones we had installed when we bought the truck (OE weren't available at the time). These are very high quality and show no signs of corrosion despite multiple winters. I'd check with your dealer and see if they have something similar. As you remarked on, these use the factory studs on the frame as the mounting point.

On 2nd Gen Rams the aftermarket tries to have you drill into a VERY (did I mention very?) short vertical lip of the body. It's comical because if your bit walks at all you're drilling air. And even when perfect there's maybe 1/16" left at the bottom of your hole.

Point being look very carefully at mounting of your prospective purchase, and read reviews.

Oftentimes OEM from a JY is the way to go

Back