when to do first oil change on 17 Silverado

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Kuato
Originally Posted By: DBMaster
If there are any bits in the engine "left over from the machining process" why does changing the oil prematurely result in any benefit? They're caught in the filter, they are not going to clog the filter, and they're not going to magically go through the media and damage anything.

I do my first oil change after the same number of miles as any of my subsequent oil changes.

It's true that the filter will catch particles above the nominal micron size.

What I've always thought is the break in metals are always high, for every engine, and getting those abrasive particles (that are smaller than the filter can capture) can only help with the longevity of the engine.

I am with the early change crowd here, 500, 1500, 3000 and 6000 followed by normal intervals.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4505662/Found_this_in_my_canister_oil_

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4022760/Re:_Break-in_for_new_vehicles#Post4022760

I'm in the early change camp, but it's not my car; neither do I think you'll find consensus on BITOG regarding this. Congrats, hope you enjoy your new vehicle. Do whatever lets you sleep at night.

For my car, I'm coming up on 40K and not changing yet, but I'm running two bypass filters among other toys.

Did our 2017 Yukon XL 6.2 at 1000 miles. Will do the next 2 dealer changes at 5-15% remaining on the OLM.

Originally Posted By: mtlineman
When should I do the first oil change on my new 5.3 Silverado 1500 ? Right away, filter only or let it run 5000 miles. Opinions wanted

At the end of the break-in period specified by OM. Usually around 1000 miles. Make sure you put some foot in it and load up the rings so they wear in properly.

Last edited:
For me it's follow the OLM or one year if the OLM hasn't reached the change point.

On my 16 Silverado:
Changed oil and filter at 1k miles, didnt reset monitor and then let dealer change it for free at +/- 30% OLM.
Changed differentials, transfer case, and transmission fluid at 9k miles.

Could possibly help, Couldn't possibly hurt.

Originally Posted By: 2KBMW
Congrats on the new truck. Myself, I like to change the factory oil at around 1600-2000 km (1000-1200 miles).
I'm glad I did this on my 2014 GMC Terrain with the 2.4. It has a cartridge oil filter and when I looked at it,
the filter had a couple dozen aluminum chips left over from the machining process. I changed the oil again at
5000 km (3100 mi) and it still had chips on the filter. After that it was fine. Good luck.

+1

Originally Posted By: 2KBMW
Congrats on the new truck. Myself, I like to change the factory oil at around 1600-2000 km (1000-1200 miles).
I'm glad I did this on my 2014 GMC Terrain with the 2.4. It has a cartridge oil filter and when I looked at it,
the filter had a couple dozen aluminum chips left over from the machining process. I changed the oil again at
5000 km (3100 mi) and it still had chips on the filter. After that it was fine. Good luck.
No wonder Chevy has vettes lent to rags blowing up on the trak left and right.

I guess the engine assembly robots don't see flash at the bore bottoms and do something about it. Wonder why?

Not good. Subaru had a similar problem with their EJ turbos nearly a decade ago. Cranks Missed a post machining rinse and oil drill cleanout.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back