What's your biggest pet peeve on the road

Status
Not open for further replies.
The thing I'm noticing is that people have been breaking the laws and pretty much driving in a free-for-all for so long now, that they now have a sense of entitlement to drive any way they want to drive without regard for the law, or the safety of others. People act like they have the right to speed, tailgate, use their cell phone, drive without lights after dark, not use their turn signals, cut other drivers off, and a whole slew of other dangerous things, and if anyone gets in their way while they're doing these things, they act like you are in the wrong, even when you are doing nothing wrong. I just don't get this whole right is wrong, and wrong is right mentality. What has gone wrong in these people's brains to make them think breaking the law and being a danger to other drivers is the right way to drive? It's a mental sickness that is only getting worse...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: grampi
The thing I'm noticing is that people have been breaking the laws and pretty much driving in a free-for-all for so long now, that they now have a sense of entitlement to drive any way they want to drive without regard for the law, or the safety of others. People act like they have the right to speed, tailgate, use their cell phone, drive without lights after dark, not use their turn signals, cut other drivers off, and a whole slew of other dangerous things, and if anyone gets in their way while they're doing these things, they act like you are in the wrong, even when you are doing nothing wrong. I just don't get this whole right is wrong, and wrong is right mentality. What has gone wrong in these people's brains to make them think breaking the law and being a danger to other drivers is the right way to drive? It's a mental sickness that is only getting worse...

I did an internship at a police department for a year during college. Those people seem to think the exact same thing when they get pulled over as well. I remember the officer I was riding with one day pulled over some lady speeding in a school zone. She proceeded to yell and scream at him that she pays his salary and has a kid in the school, blah blah blah. He comes back and says "If she was polite she would've just got a warning".

Glad I ride a bike, too much stress driving. Most around KC would never survive in a big city. I love when people honk for no good reason.. not sure why but it tends to rile me up. If I had extra cash I'd strap about 20 rotatable air horns on one my cars. Would come in handy when I have to listen to others music also!

Originally Posted By: grampi

Your description of many of the drivers on the road today is spot-on!

The phenomenon of everyone in their own vehicle, commuting across suburbia every day is relatively recent in human history. We will not be able to legislate or force anyone to make a cooperative effort for everyone to commute efficiently and safely. As population increases it WILL get worse and technological advancements that automatically brake, correct lane position, etc. will further dumb down drivers. The only hope we have for the future is a new paradigm that takes the driver out of the equation. Some of us recognize that you have to pay attention and learn all the time with driving, as with many things in life. Most figure they learned all they needed before they got their licenses and the bad habits began forming after that. I am not the world's best driver. I pay attention, but have made plenty of mistakes. Overall, I find it to be an unnecessarily stressful activity.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
The phenomenon of everyone in their own vehicle, commuting across suburbia every day is relatively recent in human history. We will not be able to legislate or force anyone to make a cooperative effort for everyone to commute efficiently and safely. As population increases it WILL get worse and technological advancements that automatically brake, correct lane position, etc. will further dumb down drivers. The only hope we have for the future is a new paradigm that takes the driver out of the equation. Some of us recognize that you have to pay attention and learn all the time with driving, as with many things in life. Most figure they learned all they needed before they got their licenses and the bad habits began forming after that. I am not the world's best driver. I pay attention, but have made plenty of mistakes. Overall, I find it to be an unnecessarily stressful activity.

I find driving in general very relaxing, what makes it stressful are all of the dangerous drivers...

If you are retired and do not have to fight the rush hour grind I can see it being less stressful. Also, there are those rare few that can tune out the traffic and chill. I am jealous!

Tailgaters, following too closely. If I was poking along I could get it better, but the a-holes who run up on your [censored] end and try to hitch up like a trailer when you're going 10 - 15 over the limit in pace with the rest of traffic. I don't know why but it makes makes anger start to build in me. There is a personal space around your car same as there is around your body when you're standing in the ticket line at the theater. People don't nuzzle up to your back in the ticket line and blow their nose breath down your collar. But some will do the vehicular equivalent all the time, because they believe the social contract regarding personal space and other social responsibilities is null and void once they cocoon up in their car or truck.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
Tailgaters, following too closely. If I was poking along I could get it better, but the a-holes who run up on your [censored] end and try to hitch up like a trailer when you're going 10 - 15 over the limit in pace with the rest of traffic. I don't know why but it makes makes anger start to build in me. There is a personal space around your car same as there is around your body when you're standing in the ticket line at the theater. People don't nuzzle up to your back in the ticket line and blow their nose breath down your collar. But some will do the vehicular equivalent all the time, because they believe the social contract regarding personal space and other social responsibilities is null and void once they cocoon up in their car or truck.

That's a very good analogy. I totally agree!

People who arrive to the 4-way stop and CLEARLY have the right-of-way, but they sit there and stare blankly out of the front of their vehicle. I have several 4-way stops in my community that I go through before getting to the highway, so this is a daily occurrence for me.

Originally Posted By: redfishsc
People who arrive to the 4-way stop and CLEARLY have the right-of-way, but they sit there and stare blankly out of the front of their vehicle. I have several 4-way stops in my community that I go through before getting to the highway, so this is a daily occurrence for me.

Yes, people who don't go when it is their turn are more annoying to me than the ones that go too early.

The worst four way stops are the ones with multiple straight ahead lanes with left turn lanes. Too many cars in the intersections for the brainless to even figure out who's supposed to go. Once you're beyond one lane in each direction four-way stops become awful.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger

This is another form of an entitled society. Tailgaters want to go faster than the traffic in front of them allows, so they think they're entitled to tailgate, even when the vehicles in front of them are already going over the speed limit...doesn't it just make you want to slap the person across the face and ask them WTH is wrong with you?

^Another type related to the tailgater is the one who passes at 80mph, weaving through traffic, when you can clearly see brake lights ahead. I guess they don't focus beyond the ends of their hoods.

If do not have guts or horsepower to complete your pass quickly, stay behind. And for God's sake, move over as soon as possible after completing your pass.

If you are driving and there is nobody in front of you, move to your right most lane. Rinse and repeat until there shoulder to your right.

If you have no desire to go as fast as the guy in front of you, move to your right.

NOW, that was not too difficult was it?

But this is USA and NOT Germany, so no chance of that happening.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
But this is USA and NOT Germany, so no chance of that happening.

Where were you born?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back