What's your biggest pet peeve on the road

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: bradtech
Since someone already mentioned my biggest one. I'd have to say the next biggest is the people that know a lane is closed ahead for road work. Yet will fly all the way to the front where it ends(everyone else moves over before knowing) and turn blinker on after everyone else has waited in the other lane to get up there stuck in traffic.

You're not supposed to merge ahead of time. You should use that lane all the way until it ends and take turns when merging. It's called the zipper merge. If people do this properly, it significantly reduces the traffic backup and also reduces accidents.

Dawdlers at left turn signals, who delay moving and cause the turn signal sensor to think that the left turn lane emptied.

But then the dawdler gets through the left turn lane and everyone else behind him is stuck for another traffic light cycle.

Originally Posted By: dave123
People who think they have to direct traffic at a 4 way stop generally they are over age of 60.

I'll take it a step further. People who are entering a 3/4 way stop-sign intersection before you. You do your darndest to come in very slow so they have plenty of time to make their turn ahead of you. Yet they invariably will wait there until you come to the stop sign and come to a dead stop for several seconds. Doesn't matter if they have to wait 5-10 seconds for you. They will wait. Then a 3rd person will show up and confusion reigns. At that point, someone just goes.

People need to take the right of way when they have it and get moving. Not wait for everyone within 50 yds of them to come to a complete stop.

People who don't know how to drive in a traffic circle.
If you are in the circle, you have the right of way, don't stop to let people in.
Americans seems to have the hardest time going around a turn without hitting the brakes.

Texting, tailgaters and left lane until [censored] freezes over.
mad.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: merconvvv
Originally Posted By: bradtech
Since someone already mentioned my biggest one. I'd have to say the next biggest is the people that know a lane is closed ahead for road work. Yet will fly all the way to the front where it ends(everyone else moves over before knowing) and turn blinker on after everyone else has waited in the other lane to get up there stuck in traffic.

+1
Wonder if they have done studies on how to keep cars go thru the lane closure scenario and found a method which when obeyed to the teeth will result in smooth flowing traffic thru there.

This study has been done. The best procedure is for the closed lane to be fully used right up to the point it goes away, assuming cooperative merging at the pinch point. Reason, unused road capacity benefits no-one.

My pet peeve is being tailgated AND flashed. No, I don't to slow in the fast lane. No, I don't drive under the speed limit on single lane roads. But I do live in the country, with lots of fast (45-50-55 MPH limit) single lane roads, and I'll be 10MPH over and some AH is on my [censored] flash-flash-flash at least once a week.

I'm going 70mph on a lonesome highway, using cruise control so I'm not fluctuating speed. Two cars gradually catch up to me, one passes the other just slows down and tailgates me. The one who passed cuts back in front of me, mindlessly close, not leaving much distance between us, then drives about 65 (remember I'm using cruise). I go to pass, he speeds up. I finally pass him once I get up to literally 90mph, put some distance between us, then get back on 70mph w/cruise control. The two catch back up. Why they were together I don't know, they weren't a convoy; I guess stupid attracts stupid. The same car passes me again but this time actually continues on and I never see it again (thank God). The other tailgates me for a few more miles so I turn off cruise control and decelerate until he gets the clue and finally passes. He did not pass until I had dropped down to 45mph, half the speed I was cruising at.

Didn't see the two cars the rest of the day. Hopefully they both got in a wreck with each other and died.

And went to Sheol

Last edited:
Subject is pet peeves................ so. Saw one today - pets in drivers lap hanging out the drivers window, Gee, those hind legs must be hard (sic) on a guys ........... ah....lap!

It's usually women with a poodle but no breed is immune.

Some dogs are 20+ lbs.

What's the law on this?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jsfalls
Getting stuck behind people that go 35-40mph all the way down the freeway on ramp then finally gun it at the end ... my little Civic doesn't have much power so I need that on ramp to get up to speed lol
If someone could explain to these"drivers" that one can de-accelerate more quickly than they can accelerate, maybe, just maybe they will get it. I explained to a young driver that a car can go from 60 mph to lets say 40 mph in less time than the same car takes to go from 40 mph to 60 mph. Makes merging much simpler and safer. No data to prove it.

People that pull out into traffic slowing you down, when it's clear behind you and all they have to do is wait 5 more seconds. It's a favorite here in West Virginia.

Also, when people find themselves in the wrong lane here, like they need to turn or need to be out of the turn lane, they will literally stop in traffic until they can get out of said lane. Not only annoying, but dangerous. Don't make your bad day my bad day.

My biggest complaint is oil burners and diesel exhaust belchers.

I always wanted to try one of those Mercedes with the special charcoal air filter system.

Two not yet mentioned are due to peoples general lack of observing what they are doing.

The first is 'duckling' behavior. They will drive fast in the left lane until they come up on a vehicle in the right lane, then slow to match its speed. I used to think that this was intentional, until I was in a car with a driver that repeatedly did this. They used other cars to judge what speed they should be going (but still didn't want to leave the left lane).

The second is slowing down at the top of a rise or end of a turn. These drivers will drive at the prevailing speed when they can only see a few cars in front. But when the sight distance increases and they see more cars ahead, they immediately brake.

1) left lane idiots. Its a passing lane, not a driving lane. Move your butt over
2) merging on to the freeway - every modern car can easily get up to 65-70 mph at time of merge. Merging at 45 mph is dangerous, idiotic, and gets people killed.
3) four way stops - the first car at the intersection has the right of way and goes first. If two cars get their the same time, the car on the right goes first. If you get there before me, you ARE going first. I will put it in park and play an entire game of monopoly before I go. Keep flashing your headights idiot, I'm loading a game of sodoku on my phone to wait out your idiocy.
4) Violating right of way - Cars on a green light that are making U-turns at an intersection have right of way over those on a red light making a right turn. I make the U-turn because I have the right of way, if you are in my way, thats too bad. I will drive you off the road or crash into. You violated my right of way, you will be found at fault. Sucks for you.

Edit: I wouldn't actually crash into someone on purpose, but bad drivers tick me off.

People who can't/don't read road signs. I drive home from work on a 3 lane highway. The right lane eventually turns into an "exit only" lane, and the highway goes from 3 lanes to 2 lanes after the exit. There are no less than 6 signs that clearly say "RIGHT LANE EXIT ONLY" within the last mile before the exit, giving everyone plenty of notice to move over if they're staying on the highway. Yet every day I see people who apparently can't read a sign act surprised when they see they're about to get off the highway, and try to merge back on the highway at the last second, crossing over the solid line, going into the breakdown lane, and moving over into the travel lane.

People who don't yield coming onto a highway when traffic is full and the cars in the right lane can't get into the passing lane.

I've seen so many close incidents because those who are trying to merge couldn't get the concept of yielding and the brake pedal, resulting in them basically forcefully merging in at unsafe distances, brake lights shine up as the lane behind that car all has to slow down now and there is now maybe a 1 second gap between that car and the one behind it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back