What's the matter with my well?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: oilpsi2high
Then your recovery rate isn't sufficient for your demands.
Which would mean the screen is clogged or otherwise restricted right?

No, it means the water isn't flowing into your well fast enough. Has nothing to do with the screen or foot valve.
So what's on the end of my well casing? Or how does the water enter the well casing?

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
No, it means the water isn't flowing into your well fast enough. Has nothing to do with the screen or foot valve.
So what's on the end of my well casing? Or how does the water enter the well casing?

Water just enters at the very bottom, sometimes through a sand screen at the very bottom, just like a straw. Seems crazy but it works well enough in most cases.
Our well is 130' deep going about 20' into bedrock but the well driller only put the casing down to the bedrock, and we suspended the pump just above the end of the casing, and the extra 20' is to collect any debris he said(or for extra profit?
grin.gif
)
Anyways we only can sustain 4 gal/min but have 100 gal above the submersible pump in the casing ,so the only time we run the well down is when kids leave the hose on...

Sounds like its time for submersible pump, we installed ours ourselves but our casing comes up above the ground so it was pretty easy using a pitless adapter. I think your going to have to dig out your well head and re-trench to the house and install a pit, but I'm no expert. I think it's a one day job for a pro so keep that in mind when you get quotes, also your not in a hurry so they can do the job on their schedule which should help keep costs down.

There is only the one 1" plastic line connected to the pump. There is a small 1/4" plastic line that comes into the house at the same point as the 1" line but has never been used since I've been there and that's 47 years.

Assuming I have 50' of the 1" between the well point hanging in the well 15' deep and the pump, that is only around 2 gallons.

Anything other than a wide open water hose and there is no problem. Pump cycles between 32 -55lbs. The capacity of the new tank is around 5 gallons per cycle with closed faucets. But with an open hose, that's 3/4" at all points but whatever the valve internally is restricted to, the pressure will drop to around 15 psi and starts spitting air with the water..

I lived in an old farmhouse with a very old well. It had stopped providing enough water to even cycle the pump. They came with a huge tractor driven air compressor and pumped air into the well. It blew out a bunch of small river rock type pebbles and worked great afterwards.

We have a fairly low producing well at around 5 gal per min. Submersible pump set at 90ft in a 100ft well. Its on a pump saver which detects and shuts off the pump when they is no or little water left to pump in the well thus preventing damage to the pump. Sounds like you need a pump saver maybe with a submersible pump. Ours also flows and fills into a 2,000 gal underground cistern. The cistern has these float balls with detect when full and shut off pump. The pump saver is set to turn on every three hours allowing the well to fill between pumps. It pumps about 150 gals every three hours. Yes, sat and watched it fill the cistern with the lid open.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back