2008 Dodge Ram 2500 6.7L clutch replacement

My FIL owns a 2008 Dodge Ram 2500 with the 6.7L Cummins / G56 6 speed, with a slipping clutch under moderate to heavy load. It has close to 100K miles and has already had a clutch replacement around 70K. The previous clutch replacement was done by a local "speed" shop supposedly using a heavy duty clutch-- but there's no documentation of what they did or what parts they used.

The fact that it's only lasted 30K tells me they either used cheap parts or didn't do the job correctly. I know these units use dual mass flywheels which can't be resurfaced, so I have to assume it's the original flywheel with a new clutch at 70K.

What is the best replacement option? New DMF / OEM type clutch or is there something stronger yet reliable available from the aftermarket? He tows a lot with the truck-- fifth wheels, dual axle trailers and the like, but nothing exceeding the truck's rating. It's not a daily driver, mostly used when he needs it for towing or hauling things. He's a good driver with a stick, so I'm surprised clutches are failing so early unless there's an inherent fault in the design. He has some sort of tuner, though I don't know which one-- he tells me he uses the fuel economy setting primarily. He's in his early 60's so I can't imagine him beating on it regularly.

Back