Weight Distributing Hitches - What they do.

I prefer the torsion bar style. I have a Husky for my TT. If you look at the hitch assembly the ball is tilted towards the trailer at the top. This puts the sway bars on a downward angle. When you couple the trailer and vehicle you use the tool shown to lift the sway bars into place. This is what transfers the load. It provides anti-sway and weight distribution.

If you are interested in learning more there is a set up manual on the site. I’ve used it a few times to dial in my hitch.

Just my $0.02

Me too. I use the E2 Round Bar setup. It can make creeking and groaning noises, but all-in-all it has been a good setup for me.

I'm still trying to think of how the front bumper can move down though the front axle weight is decreased.
Not sure I follow you.

With no distribution, the front of the truck moves up. (See my second image, the front is much lighter with no WD)

With distribution you push the front back down, although usually only 1/2 as much as it raised up.

And the ride will be like a bucking bronco over bumps.
Yea, when I drove home from the dealer mine was WAY over disributed. It wasn't a bad drive, but I knew something wasn't right.

Ended up having to get a longer shank (The Ranger rear end is WAYYYY up in the air) and took a washer out of the hitch head, to get everything to where it should have been.

What's the difference between a hitch and a receiver? I thought they were the same thing.
Receiver - 'receives' the draw bar.

Hitch is the part that connects it all together.

Admittedly, a lot of the time they're used to mean the same thing. I just grew up calling it a 'receiver hitch' meaning you could swap in and out different draw bars as opposed to a single, fixed hitch.

Receiver:

1688858368558.png

Hitch/Drawbar:

1688858421622.png

Also a 'Hitch' but Fixed in place with no receiver:
1688858509663.png

Last edited:
And a combination of not enough anti-sway and not enough tow vehicle:

I want my tow vehicle to boss the trailer, not the other way around. Too bad the driver didn't know how to recover by letting off the gas and applying the trailer brake.

And a combination of not enough anti-sway and not enough tow vehicle:

I want my tow vehicle to boss the trailer, not the other way around. Too bad the driver didn't know how to recover by letting off the gas and applying the trailer brake.

Exactly, things are fine till they aren't. Not enough wheel base, not enough sway control and probably the tow vehicle does not have enough weight. And the driver has little experience. As you stated staying off the vehicle brakes but activating the trailer brakes. The earlier you do this, the better. The tail wagged the dog.

People who tow too much trailer with an undersized suv don't realize how fast it can get out of hand, till it happens. The wind off that semi, blew against the rear of the trailer and started the sway.

Depending on how he loaded it, the bikes on the rear may have also reduced the tongue weight.

I prefer the torsion bar style. I have a Husky for my TT. If you look at the hitch assembly the ball is tilted towards the trailer at the top. This puts the sway bars on a downward angle. When you couple the trailer and vehicle you use the tool shown to lift the sway bars into place. This is what transfers the load. It provides anti-sway and weight distribution.

If you are interested in learning more there is a set up manual on the site. I’ve used it a few times to dial in my hitch.

Just my $0.02
this is what I use successfully

Man that’s terrifying. The driver was extremely lucky. The suv stayed pretty well planted through all that, suggesting that they were within weight ratings too. Driver with the camera was good to reduce speed when he saw the signs.

Man that’s terrifying. The driver was extremely lucky. The suv stayed pretty well planted through all that, suggesting that they were within weight ratings too. Driver with the camera was good to reduce speed when he saw the signs.
It would have been interesting to see the hitch setup there-wonder if a sway control was used at all. Very easily could have rolled it over that guardrail…

Back