What would your choice of a daily driver be...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Used Mercury Grand Marquis. Probably 2005 on up.
Comfortable
Powerful
Lots of room for passengers and luggage
Easy to find part
Reliable
Reasonably priced

Probably a Mercedes E-350. From 2010-2013 is probably about 18-25k depending on mileage. They're hard to find loaded but the basic package is nav, heated seats, 3 position power memory seats for both passenger and driver. I like all the options so it'd be one with the bixenons with headlamp washers and active curve illumination, keyless go, pano sunroof, power trunk closer, front/rear parking sensors, driver assistance package (adaptive cruise control, lane keeping, blind spot), very rare to find one with really optional stuff like night vision assist, bang & oluftsen sound system, side blinds in addition to the rear blinds which are standard, rear entertainment package, cooled seats in addition to the heated ones.

If I had a fair sized budget, one of my ideal daily drivers would be a BMW 440i X-drive coupe. I love the M4, but the 440i with all wheel drive is much more practical and looks almost the same.

If my budget was cut in half, I'd then go for a used BMW 2 series X-drive coupe.

The market is awash in new '17 MY midsized sedans, with plenty of selection for Something like that would be my pick, or maybe a Subaru Outback for a few grand more.
We went new car shopping in July and bought a Forester at a premium over an Outback since that's what my wife wanted and felt comfortable driving in the heavy interstate traffic she sees every weekday.
For me, a midsized sedan like the Accord I daily drive is fine.
I've never been one to blow big money on a car although we could well afford to do so.

- Something with lots of drivers leg room
- Something fuel efficient
- Something with a quiet engine
- Something that has parts reasonably cheap
- Something that's mechanic friendly

If I was 20 years old again, I wouldn't care what it was as long as it was fast.

Originally Posted By: Tdbo
I'd find a new leftover 2017 Toyota Camry.
They are a comfortable,decent riding and driving sedan.
A decently equipped one can be had for This car presents a solid value proposition.

That is darn hard to argue with and its likely a 300K car if you half take care of it.

Mazda CX-5 would be my second choice.

Last edited:
So here’s a few I’m reading about: Honda Accord or Civic, Toyota Camry or Corolla, Subaru Crosstrek, or Vw Golf GTI. A 2014 certified BNW 3 series is also in the same price point.

Also maybe the Volvo S60. A good safety suite (BLIS, Lane departure, etc) is important. This very well maybe the car my son learns to drive in in a year.

Depends on the situation. If I was retired and didn't need to commute anywhere, that would probably change what I would purchase.

Originally Posted By: cadfaeltex
...if you were to buy one today? I might be in the market for a new daily driver for a suburban retiree situation. Budget aside (since I’m seeing what you would get for youself), there are lots of choices. What would you choose and why if you went car shopping this afternoon?

That was my situation. I bought a Tahoe. I like going on long road trips and the Tahoe is a good fit for me. It is very good on fuel and handles very well plus I like sitting up high when I running out on the highway with the big boys.

If you do not want to buy new there are good 1-4 year old Tahoe's out there. With ALL SERVICE RECORDS and a extended warranty [I do that with every used vehicle I buy] you should be good to go. If not sure just rent one.

Just IMHO. To each their own.

$40k option: Chevy Colorado ZR2 4 door. You can drive it just about anywhere and it can do some truck stuff.
$20k: Golf Sportwagen- i own a manual trans model, it does daily driving and hauling very well.
$60k: I wouldn't daily drive this much cash around but i suppose a 1-2 year old Toyota Land Cruiser.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back