Shopping For 2016 Yukon Denali XL - Any Major Problems?

How about a Lincoln Navigator?
Before I got my Suburban, that was on my radar, purely based on published specifications.
But after the Suburban, I am gonna stay away from Ford/Lincoln.
I have an older 98 Expedition and a 03 Suburban. While there is a 5 year gap in model years, and 3 speed vs 4 speed tranny, the Expedition is a dog compared to the Suburban. Was useless for towing my RV...literally useless.
Plus the Expedition is a PITA to work on, the Suburban is so much easier and accessible to perform repairs.
Just my personal opinion and preference.

Before I got my Suburban, that was on my radar, purely based on published specifications.
But after the Suburban, I am gonna stay away from Ford/Lincoln.
I have an older 98 Expedition and a 03 Suburban. While there is a 5 year gap in model years, and 3 speed vs 4 speed tranny, the Expedition is a dog compared to the Suburban. Was useless for towing my RV...literally useless.
Plus the Expedition is a PITA to work on, the Suburban is so much easier and accessible to perform repairs.
Just my personal opinion and preference.
That's why GM owns this segment. It's a great vehicle. Sales of the Expedition have never come close to the Suburban.

Hi all . I love my 2015 GMC YUKOLN DENALI. . ( MSRP $72K I had a business and it was a write off) I also had a 2000, 2003, 2011 Denali, and current 2015. All great, do everything trucks! ( never a Long body. Always standard length) Never put more than 74K in all conditions.....Heavy Snow, Mud, Sand, Towing multiple other trucks out of snow, holes/sand and a few tree stumps without a sweat! BUT......

The 2000 had intermittant NON START due to computer NOT recognizing the key chip. Dealer fixed. The 2003 had same PLUSH leather seats as the 2000! Loved them!! Put 75K on the 2003 with zero Engine/Tranny probs, just like the 2000. ( both w 5.3 Litre)

Saw a 2011 Denali one day and had to have the 6.2 litre. SEATS GOT TERRIBLY FIRM/FLAT.....SIGH. Zero issues. At 34K i saw upcoming 2015 NEW redesign and fell in love! Fully loaded with the 6.2 Lite with 6 speed tranny that seems preferred over 8 speed auto.

But at 45K miles engine stutters and quits! Onstar ( still working in this model year) says " eng.exhaust trouble. Call Tow! "
It had a broken valve spring!! Cylinder shut down. Repaired under 50K warranty ( $1500 otherwise) Then at 74K ( 3 months ago, 2023) valve ticking noise becomes very noticeable at idle, on one side of engine. 2 weeks later....engine shuts down. Barely got to side of road. ( Onstar now discontinued by Telco Comps with the change over to 5G Service. Only newer models have no)) Drove 3 miles to Dealer at 10MPH. Lotsa engine dash lites ON. Dealer says " it ate a Lifter, w possible cam damage! Push rod bent ( that was first tapping noise I heard 2 weeks earlier) Thankfully UNDER an EXTENDED bumper to bumper Warranty I bought
( for $3K ) from GM, at the Dealer, as soon as 50K miles came up! DO NOT get the ones advertised on TV! E.G. "Car Shield". They screw you when needed...personal family Experience) $5500 JOB!!! Cost me $100 deductible. I insisted they do ALL 16 valve lifters
( thats both sides) and they say they did...... Runs better than NEW!!! 2 Year Warranty from Dealer.

I've come to learn that the 5.3 AND 6.2 Litre engines in Tahoes/Yukons HAVE A BASIC LIFTER FAILURE PROBLEM since around 2004 (?) Its called a AFM or DFM engine design where the engine drops down to 4 CYLNIDERS when its not under heavy load. ( as in cruising on flat road at 60 MPH ) A small lighted " 8 or 4 " appears in instrument cluster telling you if its in 8 or 4 cyl mode. THERES THE PROBLEM! The special Lifters FAIL at 500 (yes! 500) miles or in my case 74K, screwing you up for a big bill! ( My Camshaft and pistons were fine!) Took 3 weeks to get parts. MAJOR ISSUE on ALL these 5.3 and 6.2 Litre to date.... Heard of a 2022 Corvette fail on TEST DRIVE AT DEALER!!

Other than that, front Eletro/Mangneict shocks failed (an option) for $900 EACH...but Warrantied at 40K miles ) Also, A/C Condenser has know Freon leak issue, $1100 fix if beyond the 50K GM Warranty. No Warning. Beware if a trip in summer.( repair covered under my EXTENDED!)

Oh, the Headlites mediocre illumination on the 2000 , 2008, 2011. Bulb kits cured.! 2016 Denali came with HID lights . WOW!

SO...for great truck, buy at great price if possible, and keep, about $7K in a CD for repairs! Or buy immediate 3 year EXTENDED Warranty from a GM DEALER. ( runs about $3500) If you can live with those caveats they are AMAZING TRUCKS! STAY AWAY from the TV guys Warrantys!!! I will trade mine for a late mode something, other than GM in a year or so.....or get another 3 Year Warranty......

OH yah....I bought/ plugged a RANGE Disabler module ( Amazon $135) under the dash recently, which KEEPS engine in 8 Cyl Mode at ALL times. ( doesnt hurt anything) . Hoping it delays any issues on road cause that really sucks. But Ive already heard some guys say the Lifters failed AGAIN within several months.......****! DONT drive if ya get a new Valve ticking noise at idle.....your numbers UP!

Best,
Smokin'

Last edited:
if ya get a new Valve ticking noise at idle.....your numbers UP

FWIW, I have a thread I'm going to start soon on my 2012 6.2 valvetrain tick at idle....I thought it was a lifter, but it was the rocker arm, sound was definitely a lifter tap but not a faulty lifter. That's not always the case, but was with mine.

I've owned plenty of vehicles with over 100k miles but I'd seriously reconsider financing one with that kind of mileage. You won't have anything left to show for it when you're done paying the loan off. I'd save awhile longer so that something low mileage is within reach of your budget.

Back