What would you do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I have moved and had to find a new oil change place. The place I found has Chevron Supreme 10w-30 that I previously used. But they charge the same price to change my oil with Chevron as Pennzoil or Castrol. So, should I keep with Chevron or should I use Pennzoil or Castrol, which are supposed to be "better" oil. I know they cost more, probably more marketing. But if you had the change to use a "high Price" oil like Pennzoil or Castrol GTX over Chevron for the same price, would you?

I'm sure you'll get definite opinions for a specific brand (all three and then some) solemnly offered with the absolute certainty of divine vision delivered from on high in the presence of an unconsumed burning bush - but not from me. (That was a special case. The Lord couldn't take any chances with Moses not "getting it".
wink.gif
) The fact is, those responses are rebuttered toast that's already been passed around countless times here, and, there are no bad motor oils if they're rated API SM and of the qualified viscosity range recomended for your engine and climate.

If I was faced with your dilema I would choose Castrol. However, I don't see how you can go wrong with the Chevron Supreme, seeing that you have been using it already. My personal opinion would be the base oil in Castrol and Chevron Supreme is equal, my opinion is that the Castrol has the better add pack.

GMC_71,

Choose whichever brand gives you the best idle quaulity.... meaning quietness and smoothness; as well as overall smoothness.

How do you guys like that for a nice unbiased recommendation?
grin.gif

Those three brands are among the best of conventional oil. Use any...you can't go wrong. Chevron and Havoline are made by Chevron. Pennzoil is one of Shell's brand names. Castrol is a brand name belonging to BP. All are excellent. Chevron is the only American company of the bunch...
patriot.gif

Ken

C'mon Ken

Your American company Chevron mention and American flag waving is a very nice, patriotic gesture. However, your 95 BMW 525i 2.5 liter ownership takes some of the American flag-waving gusto out of your reply.

are you saying they charge you the same price for an oil change if you bring your own oil, or for the same price you may select either Chevron, Pennz, or Castrol?

I would stay with what worked before.

Yes, for the same price I can pick Chevron, Pennzoil, or Castrol.

I have always been told that Castrol was the stuff in dino oil. But I used to have mine changed at a Chevron sponered lube place, so I got Chevron a little cheaper and I used it due to the good reports it used to get on this forum.

I would use a different brand for each change....or let the place decide and not tell you what they put in the engine.You will never know the difference as they are all good oils.How often you change is more important than what you use.

MC5W20
Member # 11732

posted 25 February, 2006 09:55
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I was faced with your dilema I would choose Castrol. However, I don't see how you can go wrong with the Chevron Supreme, seeing that you have been using it already. My personal opinion would be the base oil in Castrol and Chevron Supreme is equal, my opinion is that the Castrol has the better add pack.

Where is data for castrol having a better add pack?

5K in your Chevy engine will be OK as long as its in good mechinical order.

What year is your truck? What are driving condition?

Pre '00 Z71, 5k miles OCI for Normal service, 3k mile OCI for Servere service

Post '00 Z71, use OLM, or 5k miles, whichever you feel more comfortable with.

I think the filter they use is more important than choosing between Pennz, Chevron, and GTX.

My 2004 5.3 is in perfect working condition. They use an AC Delco oil filter. But, I drive mostly highway and I pull a boat ALOT in the spring and summer (3500 lbs bass boat). And in the winter to duck hunt (700 lbs). Thats about at heavy as it gets. So, its 5K still ok?

I have a 99 5.3 Z71 with a 150k miles on it. I change when the OLM tells me. I run M1 10w-30.
My Z runs better than my neighbors tundra with half the miles.

Just use the OLM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back